“Good location, standard hotel.”
Review of Hilton York

Hilton York
Ranked #38 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 6 October 2012

Myself and a friend stayed for one night at the Hilton which is ideally situated within 5 minutes walking distance of all the bars, shops and restaurants.
The hotel its self was tastefully decorated and in good repair. The bar and resteraunt area appeared very popular with residents and was very busy in the evening. The drinks are expensive though....15 pounds for two double Baileys! Next time I'll take my own bottle!
The breakfast was good and offered the usual choice of buffet style cereal, continental, full english and hot porridge.
The room was adequate. It could have been larger given it was two girls on a shopping/drinking trip but there was an ironing board, iron, hair dryer, fan and tea making facilities along with freeview TV. Disappointingly though, to use the hotels WI-Fi in your room there was a charge of 15 pounds; conversely it was free if you went down to the lobby!
The view from room 206 was abysmal and looked out on to the roof at the rear of the hotel which in turn housed an air-con unit. In the morning, 0645hrs to be precise, I was woken by what sounded like a tap dancer on speed and could only presume it was coming from the air-con unit kicking in. The bathroom too was very small and the shower would have been more powerful if I'd dribbled water on myself from the kettle!
A word of warning, you can have your vehicle valet parked in their carpark underneath the hotel at a cost of 17 pounds for 24hrs however, there is a pay and display carpark directly accross the road from the hotel which is much cheaper.
All in all it was adequate for the brief time we spent in it and reasonable value for the 72 pounds paid.

Room Tip: If you like to sleep in, stay away from 206 and take your own night cap!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank kazntoneDurham
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on the Hilton York following your recent stay.

I am pleased that read that overall you had an enjoyable stay. I am sorry you goudn the room to be on the small side, due to the size and structure of the building this can be challenging with the rooms. However we are in a great location for exploring York.

Your observations and opinions are appreciated, as they enable us to assess the standard of our facilities and services and monitor if we are meeting guests needs and expectations.

Reviewed 4 October 2012

Clean and tidy. Great location. Staff on reception were helpful. Twin room fair sized. Bathroom very small. Breakfast good. Our lost mobile phone was found and handed in by cleaning or bar staff - thank you for that.
Only disappointments were: bar not atmospheric, and dining experience lacked style. Staff didn't have our dinner booking (even though I had booked by phone and confirmed on arrival). A fuss was made that they had a large party in and our order would be delayed. It wasn't delayed really - we like a more relaxed service. Felt that we were a bit of an inconvenience to them really. Staff seemed distracted and stressed (and the party was small!).

We see a stay in 4 star hotel as treat (£350 for 2 for 2 nights B & B), but I didn't really get that feeling at this hotel. Felt more like it catered for overseas visitors just passing through on their tour of the UK.
I completed the Hilton's follow up questionnaire which was emailed to me as per routine. I put these comments on there and no-one contacted me to comment or follow up. Hence we would be unlikely to stay at a Hilton again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on this website.

May I first and foremost extend to you my apologies that no one has contacted you since your stay, we do aim to respond to all guests’ correspondence and due to the large volumes this can take time.

I was also very concerned to read your comments regarding the poor dinner service you received. Please be assured that your feedback has been taken most seriously and I will be speaking with the Restaurant Manager to ensure that all guests are cared for, valued and respected at all times during their stay.

Please be assured that the issues you experienced during your stay are not reflective of our usual high standards and I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to Hilton in the future.

Reviewed 2 October 2012

We stop in I'd hotel on a regular basis as we love to go to York with the family. We find the double double rooms the best for us as there is normally myself, my husband and my two children 18months and 5yrs. The rooms can vary in size but if you need a travel cot just request to see if they can give you a larger room.

We went for my sons 5th birthday and the hotel staff came to the room with a card and some balloons for him which was lovely, my son was very pleased. When travelling with kids the bed and breakfast option is much better value as they eat free and it's a help yourself breakfast which I think makes kids want to eat.

The hotel rooms are always clean and the tea/coffee and biscuits are replenished every day and you can request more if needed. Hotel is perfect location and even though its in the centre of York is very quite indeed. Also as there are toilet facilities in the hotel foyer it makes it easier when I need to change my baby as its soo close to all the site seeing places I'm York. But also you can be reassured that your changing your baby in a clean environment.

The staff are all extremely friendly and welcoming and the concierge always go out of their way to ensure your stay is perfect

Room Tip: If you need a travel cot see if you can request a larger room
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on this website.

I was delighted to read that you and your family had another great stay at Hilton York and that my team looked after you all and they made your sons birthday special with a card a balloons. I will be passing on your comments with my team as they serve as a great motivator.

I look forward to welcoming you all back to the hotel for another enjoyable stay.

Hilton York

Reviewed 1 October 2012

Perfectly positioned hotel in the heart of the city. A wonderful warm welcome. Felt important as soon as we entered the foyer. The staff could not have been more kind, friendly and helpful. Lovely room. very bright, clean and airy. Wonderful comfy bed with quality feather pillows. Real comfy, slept like a baby both nights of my stay. Great quality toiletry products with lovely, fluffy towels. Well stocked beverage tray, re-stocked each morning.
The breakfast was amazing...so much choice of hot, cold, British and continental style food. Good quality ingredients, very well cooked. Staff so very courteous and pleasant. No rush to get you out of the table. very attentive.
Perfect stay in every way. Will definitely stay here again with pleasure.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front of the hotel have a great view of Cliffords tower
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive comments on this website.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and was made to feel welcomed and my team were most helpful. I am also pleased that you found the rooms to be lovely and light and enjoyed the Hilton breakfast. I am indeed very proud of my team and I will be sharing your comments with them as they serve as a great motivator.

It is always a pleasure to receive such great feedback and I look forward to welcoming you both back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 1 October 2012

The locations great, right on the doorstep of all the attractions.
The hotel itself is nice too. The staff are friendly and helpful, and it's all nice and clean. It did, for me, lack that special something though. My husband and I saved there when one of their offers was on, so for what we payed it was good value, I would not be happy if we were paying the full price I think. The thing that got me was the breakfast, I guess. Although the cooked breakfast was lovely there was hardly ny fresh fruit. Also the orange juice was horrid, diffused stuff or really watered down. So nice stay, but don't bother with the breakfast if you like fruit and nice juice.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Went to this hotel again recently. Wouldn't stay anywhere else in York. It looks out over Clifford's Tower, which is its closest neighbour. The staff are efficient and friendly, the rooms are comfortable, and the breakfast is very good. No complaints about value for money. Because it's so close to the centre of York, the Hilton is a perfect choice for tourists, as it's within easy reach of both many attractions and also lots of good shopping. Would stay here again, and I think you could feel quite relaxed here if you needed to book single accommodation in York, because of a business trip.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 September 2012

We had three nights at this hotel. Without doubt, the Staff here were the best that we've experienced in many years. From the front desk, concierge, breakfast room, Restaurant and bar staff, the training here works. They couldn't have been more helpful. The rooms were spotless and housekeeping immaculate. Meals were of a very high standard and presented in a relentlessly professional manner.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear if you will be staying out late as the service providers/delivery people...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family