“Rocky start, made brilliant”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilton York

Hilton York
Ranked #38 of 46 Hotels in York
“Rocky start, made brilliant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2012

Myself and 3 friends stayed over the weekend after booking with a coach. Rooms were ok. Not amazing but it is comfortable and the building is a little on my generations side! Getting on a bit! Location is perfect as it was very cold in york but didn't have to walk far to enjoy the shopping. The evening meal was not what we would have expected. The restaurant was overcrowded and all of us were sat at very large tables. However after dinner we ventured into the bar next door. We didn't realise this was part of the hotel, and we couldn't have been made to feel more welcome. The 2 staff working were incredible. The young man gave us great service, making sure we were well looked after and the lady offered us deserts and chocolates to cheer us up after the dinner. We ended up staying for a few bottles of wine while others sang in the bar. Good nights sleep followed. If I was to return it wouldn't be with a coach, but would defiantly eat in the bar on the corner next time. Thanks for making our Christmas stay enjoyable!!!

• Stayed December 2012
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 7 December 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on this website further to your recent stay at the Hilton York hotel.
I was pleased to read that overall you had an enjoyable visit and my team made your Christmas stay enjoyable!

Your comments regarding the evening meal in the restaurant have been noted and I have passed these on to the Restaurant Manager for his attention.

On a brighter note I was delighted that you had a lovely time in Henry J Beans and were looked after by my team. It is a pleasure to receive such positive feedback and I will be sharing your comments with them as they serve as a great motivator.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you all back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2012

Very expensive, no breakfast included, parking extra, everything at a cost even water in room extra. Function on below our room very very loud until early hours of morning, then pipes in ceiling extremely loud- worst nights sleep in a long long time!
20% off bill offered, didn't really make up for the fact our birthday weekend was spoilt?! Complained upon our return- no one from the Hilton has got in contact with us?! Wouldn't stay again nor recommend!!

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank MissEmily24

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on this website.

I am sorry to read your disappointment further to your recent stay with us. Please be assured that a full investigation has been carried out in regard to the points you raised. There can be no excuse for the lack of standards that you experienced, upon your arrival and on check out and I will be addressing these issues with my Management team as it is our responsibility to make sure that all guests are comfortable during their stay, please accept my apologies for this.

Once again thank you for your valuable comments. I can assure you that the issues you experienced during your stay are not reflective of our usual high standards and I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to Hilton in the future.

Hotel Manager

Travellers are raving about these York hotels

Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2012

As a last minute decision, we decided to go away for my husbands birthday. Having stayed in Hiltons' before (Docklands and Canary Wharf) we thought that would it be a lovely treat and worth spending a little extra to stay again with Hilton. How wrong we were! At £190 per night for a 'delux' room, including breakfast, it was not worth the money. Room was basic,small and there were no robes, slippers etc. Bathroom was tiny, with very basic facilities. Reception staff not very helpful, and not in the slightest bit bothered that we were unhappy with our room, with no apology, a welcome pack and robes for the second night were sent up. Room service is very slow, 45 minutes for 2 sandwiches, and although they rang to say they hadn't a filling for 1 sandwich the other sandwich was also wrong, grated 'plastic cheese' instead of brie!!.
Breakfast was lovely,but you are packed in like sardines to eat it so not a very enjoyable experience.
The bar in the hotel is extremely expensive over £15 for 2 drinks! a much better idea to use thier sports bar around the corner which is reasonably priced and friendly. On the plus side it is very central and convienent for sightseeing.

1 Thank nadia a
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 5 December 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on this website.

Please accept my apolgies that my hotel did not meet your expectations.
I was most disappointed to learn of your experience with your room service order. Your comments have been taken most seriously and I can confirm that discussions have been held with my Head Chef and Food and Beverage Manager to ensure that such unacceptable incidents are not repeated. I have also instigated further training with a focus on customer care for the entire Hotel team.

It is never my intention for a guest to be disappointed on leaving the hotel, and whilst I would not like to make any excuses, I would like to assure you that your experience is certainly not reflective of our normally high standard of service associated with Hilton Hotels.

Feedback is always important, as it is a vital way of reviewing the level of service and facilities provided for our guests in order to make improvements accordingly.

Should your travels bring you back to York I hope you will consider staying with us again to show you that we can do better.

Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2012

Upon arriving in York quite late on an October Saturday, my partner and I (aged 27 and 34) opted for the Hilton as a safe bet. Although the room (the last remaining) was clean, it was pretty basic for the price tag of about £140 for one night not including breakfast. We found the hotel to be well maintained but dated.

Everything was an extra including wi-fi. Free to use in the communal areas but £14.95 per 24 hours to have access in the room. In 2012 in a hotel of this ilk I'm shocked that this was chargeable.

Parking was £17 per 24 hours and was Valet. We watched our Porsche driven away in the hands of a young porter to an off site parking space, as the spaces under the hotel were full. We weren't told where the car being taken and would have to give thirty minutes notice to get it back.

Finally upon waking in the middle of the night in a very hot and stuffy room WITHOUT AIR CON, I was advised by the front desk that somebody could attend the room (4am and wake my sleeping partner) to TRY and open the locked window or to use the fan on the top of the wardrobe. Again, 2012......fan on top of the wardrobe??

I'm not un-necessarily picky and have stayed in hotels of varying standards around the world but in my opinion this hotel needs a revamp or a pricing restructure!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on this website.

I was disappointed to read your comments regarding the areas, our services failed to deliver to your expectations. Unfortunately our bedrooms apart from the deluxe guest rooms, do not have air conditioning in them this is something we will be looking at in the future.

Your observations and opinions are appreciated, as they enable us to assess the standard of our facilities and services and monitor if we are meeting guests needs and expectations.

Should your travels bring you back to the area I hope you will consider staying with us again.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2012

Just returned from my second weekend away at the Hilton Hotel in York, The first time was good but the second definately better. Centrally based you can access all the shops from this hotel with other attractions such as the Clifford Tower, museums and quality shops and pubs for you real ale drinkers just a short distance away, Due to Christmas York certainly has a festive feel about it with christmas trees and lights standing out.. If you are into viking history the Jorvick centre is literally a couple of hundred yards away. The hotel is pleasing to look at and once inside you have a well proportioned dinning room to the left. There is ample staff waiting to assist you and even take you bags to your room if you wish. Try to book the car park early to avoid dissapointment. However, if you are not fortunate to park up the staff will take and return your vehicle to a covered car parking facility a short distance away. Althought he cost is £17.00 per night in total it is cheaper that using the nearby Clifford Tower car park. You have late checking out ( 12 00) which gives you time for a nice lie in especially on a Sunday. We chose a delux room, (105) which was a fair size, clean and comfortable. The view was amazing, opened the curtains to see Clifford tower in all its glory. The food was also good we dined both nights in the restaurant and we not dissapointed with the standard. Buffet breakfast is also good. However, avoid the draught Boddington beer it was awful. All in all a good value for money weekend and will return again at sometime. Enjoy

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on this website.

I am pleased to read that you had another great stay at the hotel and enjoyed the hotel and enjoyed the festive feeling York has to offer.

I am delighted you enjoyed the view from the room and found the food to be good. Your comment regarding the beer has been noted and passed on to the Bar Manager.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel for another great stay.

Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here in November for two nights.

The location of the hotel is excellent, very central and close to many attractions like the castle the dungeons and Betty's tearoom. There's plenty of restaurants to eat at nearby (I recommend Rustique just around the corner) and also plenty of bars and pubs within walking distance.

We stayed in a premium deluxe room that was, like the hotel, well presented and very clean. The bed however was a little uncomfortable and the shower wasn't the most powerful but these are my only negative comments about the room. We had breakfast included with our stay whch is available between 7am and 10am. The breakfast was very tasty I have to say! There's a choice of cereal, fruit, cold meats, cooked breakfast, muffins, juice, tea, coffee... everything you could want really! On the second morning I thought I'd cheekily ask the chef if he had any pancakes... no problem! Ok they did seem like the packet pancakes but still, it was nice to have some!

The staff were very plesant. When we arrived the underground car park door was open so I drove straight in, after a few minutes a concierge came down and took my car away to valet park, leaving us with a ticket. The other staff throughout the hotel were very friendly and welcoming.

The room itself is a little overpriced and the parking isn't cheap, it costs an extra £17 per night but something I did notice when researching York is that it's not the best place in the world for parking cheaply so I was ok with paying the charge.

Overall I would recommend staying in the Hilton York, mainly due to it's location. Try and get some kind of deal if you can though as it's a little pricey, especially with the parking on top.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments on this website.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and found my team to be pleasant and friendly, the location to be excellent, the rooms to be comfortable and a good variety of food at breakfast and especially enjoyed the pancakes. It is a pleasure to receive such great feedback and I have passed on your kind comments to all of my staff as they serve as a great motivator.

It is always a pleasure to receive such feedback and I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you both back to Hilton York in the future.

Yours sincerely

Guildford, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

When you book a room at a Hilton you expect a certain level of quality, and this is indeed present here - the hotel is easy to walk to from the station, and inside everything is just as one would expect from a contemporary Hilton. Value for money is pretty good too, I would come back here again, solo or with the family on a points break.

Room Tip: It's all about the status...