“Standards seriously downhill”
Review of Hilton York

Hilton York
Ranked #38 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed as a party of 7 at the Hilton. It's location is good just near to the shops and bars but don't be swayed by this. This was a very disappointing stay here. When I think if Hilton hotels, I would usually think good quality. On this occasion that was far from the truth. With paint peeling from the walls at the window and a layer of dust over the tv and phone it did but give the best first impression. The shower was very poor with small unpowerful sprigs of water coming out. The room was red hot and the window could not be opened. We were provided with a fan however which was placed in a faulty plug socket..... very safe. 2 lamps did not work in the room either. Overall an un pleasant room. Not worth £89. Go somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank ronneyroon
There are newer reviews for Hilton York

Reviewed 23 August 2013

This hotel is in a fantastic location and close to all the sights, bars and restaurants. The breakfast was good and offered a wide selection of hot and cold food. The room offered a large bed which was comfortable and staff were very pleasant.

I had high expectations for this hotel due to the name and location but ended up leaving very let down.

Upon arrival I expected the valet service to be present and park your car immediately (as I was paying £17 for the one nights parking) but found no guidance other than an intercom on the wall. I was then told to park my car on the double yellow lines and hand my keys in upon checking in and it would be parked up later (let's hope Hilton pay for any fixed penalty tickets issued). I was not offered any assistance with my luggage and struggled into the foyer with my heavily pregnant wife.

Upon checking in we had to wait about twenty minutes as there was some confusion due to another guest having the same name. We were then given our room key and set off and set off with no direction from the staff.

The room itself was adequate but like the rest of the hotel outdated and in need of a revamp.

The bed was large and comfortable and the tv and furniture ok. There was no remote for the tv and after getting no reply on the guest services number on several attempts, I rang the front desk. 30 minutes later a member of staff arrived at the room with another remote. There were stains on the walls and carpets and hairs in the bath and sink which were very off putting. After cleaning the bathroom I took a shower to find there was no hot water (it was only ever luke warm for the rest of our stay). The water pressure was also terrible.

I opened the curtain to find that we had been out in a room which faced on what I can only describe as a building site, with another building approximately 20 metres away covered in scaffolding.

As we were staying for the one night we headed straight out. It is the little things that spoilt the trip such as empty pint glasses and alcohol bottles lying by the lifts at 4 pm in the afternoon.

All in all, loved York but the Hilton needs some serious attention to ensure people return. I stayed in a Novotel in Leeds the night before and it was half the price but twice the quality.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We booked this hotel for a sight seeing holiday with the family, you could not fault location. Staff were very friendly and breakfast was good. Room looked a bit dated, but we coped for the time we spent there, overall a great location for a visit to york

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We stayed as a family and found the location to walk about excellent. Upon checkin the first rooms they brought us to were small and had no air conditioning. If it was not so bloody hot during our stay that would have been fine- but it was brutally hot- so we asked for rooms with air and they did move us. So if it is hot you must ask about the air situation. Overall the rooms were good and clean as well as very comfortable. Breakfast was good. For a few nights it was fine. It didnt have much charm but a solid hotel. Only has free wifi in small lobby- so that is a bit of a pain

Room Tip: Ask for a room with Air if its summertime
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Stayed in a ver nice family room with my friend and daughter. Room was lovely with toiletries. Bathroom was very nice although I would prefer not to have to step into a bath to have a shower. Breakfast was very good and excellent choice. Excellent and friendly staff. Will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: AFamily room was very spacious
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Central to York, this hotel in very well located, clean and the staff friendly. Breakfast was very good. Being in a central location car parking locally is limited although the hotel offers parking at £17 per day, which based on the nearest car park is competitive. Enjoy, would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Hotel is located in front of Clifford's Tower and just a short walk to city center. Paid a lot of money?, you get a view of the windows of the adjacent hotel ... The room was so tiny and not worth the money. There was not much space to move in the bathroom ... and I'm not exactly a large person! There is not much water pressure for shower so it took forever to shampoo even my short hair! Breakfast was the only thing in York I did not have to queue up for. The chef is the first British chef/cook I have met that knows how to make my eggs: over-easy.
Of course, WI-FI is not free like in the other big chain hotels.

Room Tip: Spend A WHOLE LOT MORE MONEY for a good view. HHonors doesn't mean anything here!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bassbeef
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Dear Bassbeef,

Thank you for taking the time to place your feedback on Tripadvisor.

I am sorry to read of your disappointment in regards to your stay with us.

I note from your feedback you found the internet is not free, the agreement is a national one for Hilton Hotels set by Head Office Wifi is available at no additional cost in our lobby area, Tower’s Bar, Tower’s Restaurant and Henry J Beans Bar and Grill.

On a brighter note I am pleased that our breakfast made your eggs just right and I will be passing your comments on to her.

Once again thank you for your feedback. Your observations and opinions are appreciated, as they enable us to assess the standard of our facilities and services and monitor if we are meeting guests needs and expectations.

Kind regards,