“The hotel is showing signs of age now”
Review of Hilton York

Hilton York
Ranked #38 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Stayed here for 1 night in November. Had a reasonable room in terms of size but the bathroom was so small it was beyond a joke, there was no heating in it and you could hardly close the door if you went it. In addition the window had a small gap in the mechanism so it got fairly cold without the heating on. The plus side was the bed was comfortable, its centrally located in York if your a tourist and the breakfast was actually fairly good

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,030)

Reviewed 31 December 2013

My daughter and son-in-law booked a post Christmas weekend together with my wife and I at the Hilton in York. We travelled separately with us arriving at 10.30am with my daughter arriving at 7pm. We knew that check-in was from 3 pm, but after parking the car in the garage below, we went to reception to see if our room was available early. We were informed that rooms were available but there would be a £20 early check-in fee, which we declined, left our luggage to return later. We were also informed that the rate was room only with breakfast chargeable at £10 each now, or £12.50 on the day. As we were not aware of the rate booked, we selected the first option. Upon asking about wi-fi, we were informed that it was free in public ares but £15 in the room.
When my daughter arrived, she told us that the booking included breakfast together with free wi-fi throughout, and our charges were amended immediately.
The room on the first floor was fine, but the noise during the night kept us awake. Furniture was being moved, hoovers were being used, and this was both nights. Our complaint after one night went unheeded.
The buffet breakfast was excellent, and the restaurant service good, although I don't understand why the jugs of fruit juice were at the entrance and only waitress service!!
The wi-fi in the public rooms was fine, but in the room was hopeless, being cut off every 2 to 3 minutes. Glad I didn't pay £15 per day for a terrible service.
The hotel itself is in a wonderful location, as you are more or less in the city centre when you step outside. At £17 per night for a car, it is way over-priced, especially when my son-in-law had to wait ten minutes while the concierge went elsewhere in York to collect his car! Where had it been?
Overall, I think the management of this hotel should have a good look at themselves and attend to a modern client's requirements rather than try to line their pockets for all these extras.
In my opinion, this hotel is not up to the standards expected of the Hilton brand, so, because of all the above, I would only give it a 3 star rating at best! The only good things were the location and breakfast, and at £280 for 2 nights, is a rip-off. We will not be returning until significant changes have been made.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mel S
Reviewed 31 December 2013

The staff were reasonably friendly and helpful but overall this Hotel was not of the standard I would expect of a Hilton especially given the high price paid. The hotels decor in the room looks really tired and it definitely needs updating. The bar was nice but I waited a ridiculously long amount of time to be served as only one bar tender was available. The room was a little noisy from both thee corridors and outside though it was very busy as it was Christmas. The location is good for central York. Parking was about£17.00 a night. Breakfast was very average no soya milk was available which was a first for me in a Hilton.

I think that the Hampton in the City where I have stayed before offer much better value for money given I stayed in the Waldorf in the same month for less the Hilton York in my opinion is a bit tired and does not offer great value for money.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 December 2013

The location of this hotel is excellent and that is why myself and family have visited for the last two years,I do feel that our room was on the small side and very outdated and was in need of a refurbish,the beds were very uncomfortable,the noise was dreadful in our room sounded like chairs getting dragged about which kept us awake,the bathroom had hair's in and around the bath and a dirty towel we complained to cleaning staff then we got told off another guest who was staying at the hotel that the head of cleaning was talking nasty about us,breakfast was nice with plenty of choice,all in all I would stay again at this hotel because of its location but I do feel the rooms need updating

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We stayed at the York Hilton for six nights in December for a holiday. The facilities were of a high standard and the location is marvellous, being just a minutes walk from the heart if the city. We were worried about parking as this has been a problem in the past, however the valet parking made this a non-issue (except perhaps the cost!).

The most noteable aspect of our stay was the service, and friendliness of the staff in every department of the hotel. For once, this is a UK Hilton that does not appear under-staffed. At breakfast, in the bar, at lunch, and in reception we got attentive, friendly service with people taking time to engage with us an make everything work really well.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Having stayed in a wide variety of Hilton hotels from Edinburg to London I found the Hilton York to be amongst the better ones.

The hotel, while a modest size, is reasonably spacious. Of the rooms we saw in addition to our own they were of a good size and well furnished. Room cleaning and maintenance was of a very good standard. Service was of a high standard throughout. Beverages and food were particularly good during the whole of our stay.

While I can understand some of the issues raised my other reviewers I think proper planning could have addressed many of these. Parking is pricey but no more so than many other significant cities in the UK. If you are not looking to extend your visit beyond the immediate city centre then travelling to the city by train negates any parking cost and leaves you only 15-20 minute walk from the hotel and affords you the opportunity to take in some of the attractions in the journey. Choosing a front facing room places you furthest away from the entertainment within the hotel as will choosing a room on the second or third floor.

For my wife and myself this was a lovely hotel and we look forward to revisiting in the not too distant future.

Room Tip: The rooms on the first floor facing hotel front offer great views and are nicely located.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Excellent location but the hotel itself was a bit disappointing. The entranceway and bar were lovely and matched the décor what you would expect from a Hilton however, the rooms are looking a little dated. I wonder whether they might be due an update as they aren't in the same league as other Hilton's I have seen. The rooms were basic, the beds uncomfortable and small and the décor in general was a bit run down. We were also allocated an adjoining room which we didn't need or use and whilst security-wise this wasn't an issue it became a bit annoying when we realised the person in the room next door was snoring very loudly! The adjoining door actually meant the noise insulation was pretty poor! The hotel just doesn't do justice to the lovely building and great location! I also completely object to paying £17 to park a vehicle at a hotel which you have already paid to stay at.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends