“Not worth what i paid”

Ranked #38 of 46 Hotels in York
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Not worth what i paid”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Just returned from a two night stay at this hotel. I had booked a Deluxe room, however I didn’t feel that this room was a deluxe. On booking this room the description said that I would receive bathrobes and slippers and complementary wifi, on arriving at the room the size was what I would have expected a standard room to be.

I rang down to reception to check this was a deluxe and was told it was, I pointed out that I had not bathrobes or slippers and it was trying to charge me for wifi access, at this point reception did send up some bathrobes but no slippers and they gave me a code for the wifi (they forgot to give it on check in)

After an evening out I returned to the hotel to have a couple of drinks in the bar, i ordered one round of drinks and when it was time for our second drink, i went to the bar to find it closed, no last orders were called and no staff came around advising that the bar was closing (approx 23:00hrs), so it was off to bed early

The second evening the same issue we got back to the hotel at approx 23:30 to find the bar closed and was told I had to order drinks through room service, which I did. When the drinks arrived the staff member commented that he didn’t know why hadn’t served me downstairs?

Tuesday morning I was awoken at approx 8am with banging and furniture being dragged around, I managed to get back to sleep but was again awoken by scrapping on the walls in the next room. at this point I got up and got ready to check out. On leaving the room there was bedroom furniture littered up the corridor, not a great look.

Don’t think I will be staying at this hotel again, could have gone somewhere else for half the price and got a better deal

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I have stayed here a few times now and to be honest I will not go back. The location is brilliant and that's it.
The welcome from the staff wasn't what it used to be, the gentleman spoke very, very fast as if he had been sucking helium. He gave the impression that he couldn't care less. My room, was worn out and dated. I was woken up at 7.30am to housekeeping trying to get in my room!
The shower was a trickle and the towels paper thin, our duvet was wafer thin too....
Breakfast was ok, but not as good as it used to be and the breakfast staff (young girl) was rude and stretched across us when we were eating to clear the table!!
I have stayed at Hilton by Hampton, not far from this hotel and its far superior.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2014

A very good location for exploring York. The facilities are reasonable but when we went I didn't find the rooms, the bar or the staff up to the usual standard of Hilton.

I have still however given this hotel 4 stars as there was nothing wrong with any of the service or facilities I think I have just been spoilt elsewhere.

The room was clean and tidy but far too warm and neither myself or the staff could manage to cool the room down significantly. This is a reasonable complaint as although it was summer time it was cooler outside than in our room.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I took my nana and other family members for an Afternoon Tea as a Christmas present, belated one. The food came out very promptly for us to find completely hardened bread, butter so hard and thick I thought it was cheese, you couldn't even push a dent in the bread the butter was solid! There was an uneven amount of everything so nobody got enough cake or chocolate etc. the wrapper was left on one cake and the slices of cake were stale on all sides. When I told the waiter/host he said "because we are so busy we have to make everything on the morning ready for the day but on this occasion he would make an exception" Well I'm sorry but I've worked in catering and waitressing for long enough and at no point would that be a liable excuse or reason! There was no other patrons in the afternoon tea section and we arrived at 3 so our food had been prepared HOURS earlier. What's the point in booking if there not giving you fresh food? I've spoke to others since and they've all said the same thing happened when they went so do not tell me this was a one off. I've also seen several reviews on here saying the same as me. I will be sending a letter to the hilton as it was a rip off and I was appalled my gift to my family
was so disappointing! With such a high stature should come a lot more quality and quantity in service and the fact we weren't offered anything other than a few extra sandwiches was terrible. We were never offered more drinks or an alternative to tea or coffee with being told there was nothing else but then later he offered us hot chocolate? Makes no sense. Don't waste your money people.

• Stayed January 2014

Travellers are raving about these York hotels

Thornaby on Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

I did not stay overnight at this hotel but attended on two consecutive days for a conference. The organisation was very good but I found the room to be cramped and the lack of natural daylight all day made it tiring. Refreshments were ok at breaks and lunch had a reasonable choice but took quite some time to serve everyone due to the layout of the rooms. Perhaps the rooms were not really big enough for the numbers attending and toilet facilities were also insufficient for the numbers.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014

The location is good,he hotel itself is well presented and the rooms are clean and practical however you may need to take your earplugs as from very early morning you can hear doors constantly banging and furniture being dragged across tiled floors as our room was above or near to the kitchen and dining rooms.As a place to stay its OK if you don't mind noise but don't pay full price !.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We stayed here in October, and it delivers everything you would expect from a Hilton. The room was clean and offered a reasonable amount of space, although the building itself is a bit dated now. It's in a good location for exploring town though, that has to be it's best feature. One feature that isn't so good is the car parking. £17 per day to park your car in their secure car park....I wouldn't mind so much if the car park itself was a proper car park. What they actually do is put every car in nose to tail so that if you want to get to your car you have to squeeze between each one to get to yours. They're parked so close to each other that you can't open the doors or the boot, and if you want to get it out you have to wait 20 minutes for them to shuffle all the cars around! I'm usually quite happy to stay in Hilton's - you know what you're going to get, but I'm sorry, this would only be a last resort.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends