“Enjoyable stay”

Ranked #38 of 47 Hotels in York
Cheshire, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable stay”
Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed 22/23 January 2014 during a business trip. Efficient and helpful check in and my colleague and I were upgraded to front rooms with a view of Clifford Tower which was lovely.The receptionist advised on local restaurants. Rooms were clean and stylish with a good selection of toiletries, teas and coffee although no biscuits. Although the bed had a mattress topper, I found this to be quite firm.
Breakfast was excellent quality with pleasant and friendly staff, in fact all the staff we met, including reception, bar staff and domestic staff were extremely helpful. Happy with my stay.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear Rachel H,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to learn that you had a lovely stay at the Hilton York and had an excellent breakfast experience.

I am very proud of all my team as they work extremely hard and I will be sharing your comments with them as they serve as a great motivator.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Sedgefield, County Durham
Reviewed 22 January 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Hilton in York last weekend. The hotel is opposite Clifford's Tower so is very well located for the centre of York. We stayed on a bed and breakfast basis as there are lots of good restaurants nearby. Hotel is nice and clean but looking a little tired in the corridors, lifts and reception. Room was relatively small but did the job for one night. Basement car park is very tight for larger cars and is not cheap at £18 per day.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WaltonReviews
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear WaltonReviews,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at the Hilton York.

I am pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and found our central location good.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

Visited here for a weekend after new year. Great location. Breakfast very good. Parking underneath the hotel with very helpful vallets. Booked delux room which had fantastic views of Clifford tower but none of the other extras: bathrooms, wine. Staff not too helpful when we enquired about them!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear CatherineF2012,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our great Hilton Breakfast and found our Concierge team most helpful. I will be sharing you comments with them.

I was concerned to note that you did not receive the extras that come with the Deluxe room and I will be passing your comments on to the Front Office Manager and Resturant Manager who are responsible for the delivery of the extras.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future.

Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014

This say was a present from my Aunty. The hotel was wonderful. Room very clean. Staff friendly and welcoming. Would recommend to anyone. Location perfect for getting about York. We early in the morning, but were allowed to leave our bags at the hotel so that we did not have to carry them around all day as we had travelled by train.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Great location , helpful staff but truly appalling nights sleep . Rooms at back of hotel very noisy , sounded mechanical and went on all night . If you enjoy the sound of water cascading down off the roof continual y stay here .

Dining room well presented but food is of poor quality .

Not up to the Hilton groups usual standards .

Stayed January 2014
Yarm, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Excellent central location and good quality rooms to the standard that you would expect from the Hilton. Really tasty sausages for breakfast too. I will definatley stay here again when I'm next in York.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

South Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I came to stay at this hotel a few weeks ago and I had the most horrible experience ever. In the early morning around half past 8 I was woken up by a loud knock on my door followed by a unfriendly voice. Iv opened the door only to see a room attendant who is tall with dark hair with a thick fringe who startled me by saying " oh do you want your room cleaning later?" That made me feel very uncomfortable.

Later on that day when I came back from a meeting I had in the town centre, I approached my room to see the same cleaner inside my room using washing up liquid I would use at home to wash my cups. Is this normal ?
I left without been seen by the room attendant to buy a bottle of disinfectant to wash my cups after.

When I came back, the key wouldn't work and the same cleaner was just a bit further down the corridor i've asked her if she could help me but she turned around and said very rude, just go to reception.

I explained to the room attendant that she saw me this morning by knocking on my door and she knew I was staying in that room but she absolutely refused to help me and sent me back downstairs to reception!
I have NEVER encountered a more unfriendly and rude cleaner, I would expect a far better customer service from a Hilton.

Room Tip: Avoid a cleaner with dark hair and a thick fringe on the 3rd floor.