“Just Needs a Spruce Up”

Ranked #39 of 46 Hotels in York
Lincoln
“Just Needs a Spruce Up”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Having read a few of the previous posts, I have to say I agree with most of them. There are many positives to the hotel, the reception staff were particularly good, very friendly and helpful without being asked. The breakfast was very good and the lady serving the eggs was a treat (cheerful and helpful and made great eggs!). The location is great and we had breakfast with a view of Cliffords Tower. The negatives are that the rooms are looking slightly dated (we had condensation with the window not shutting quite right) and the bed wasn't as comfortable as the usual Hilton. The Wi-fi is also a bugbear at £15 a go and not even free wi-fi in the lobby or bar/dining room. The other issue was that breakfast plates that people had in their room were still in the corridor when we checked out at 11:45am. All in all though the positives far outweigh the negatives although a return would probably depend on the price.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear M0llster,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on this website.

I am pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable stay and found my team most helpful and friendly, especially Shirley our breakfast chef. I am indeed proud of my team and will be sharing your feedback with my team as they serve as a great motivator.

Your comments regarding the Wi-fi have been noted, however wi-fi is complimentary in the restaurant and reception areas.

Thank you for your comments and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

We went to York for a family weekend break, so we looked for a good quality hotel, we picked the Hilton.
we we're prepared to pay the extra for a good quality hotel in a great location (we normally would stay in the premier inn) we even responded to the email to pay extra for a suite on arrival only being disappointed to discover suites are only for couples only ? Hilton you know we were booking for three people why offer an upgrade for suite which we couldn't of of had ?

lovely reception and restaurant unfortunately the hidden charges are frustrating and the beds are the worst I've ever slept in, worn and noisy frames, poor pillows 'we couldn't even turn over in bed without waking everyone else up' a solid sofa bed for our daughter which is a disgrace and a poor example of a bed and not expected in quality hotel.
Come on Hilton aren't you missing the point by getting the basics wrong, isn't the main reason for staying in a hotel to sleep ?
The Charges,
We Paid £174 B&B for one night + £18 parking and the Hilton want another £14.99 for wifi access which I complained about this so I wasn't charged....nearly £200 a night and pay extra for wifi access ' a least the highwayman wore a mask'
We will save some money next time and get a good night sleep with proper beds for kids by going back to the premier inn with comfortable beds and a choice of pillows.
Thank you Hilton a tired and frustrated family.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TheVonTrapp
Dear TheVonTrapp,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry to read your comments regarding your stay and that you felt that it was not good value for money.

Your comments have been noted regarding the various issues that occurred and will prove most useful when we come to review our policies.

Once again thank you for your feedback. Your observations and opinions are appreciated, as they enable us to assess the standard of our facilities and services and monitor if we are meeting guests needs and expectations.

Hotel Manager

Travellers are raving about these York hotels

County Antrim
Reviewed 22 February 2014

My son and I had booked two nights at the Hampton by Hilton Hotel and after checking in we went to the allocated room, opened the door with the card and was met by the occupant of the room. We reported the matter at reception. To the credit of the Hampton staff they dealt. with the problem in a most professional manner. We were given complimentary drinks whilst they rebooked us into the Hilton and ordered a taxi for us as our car had been parked for the night and we had no intention of moving it. Check in at the Hilton was friendly and professional. We were quite disappointed by the room which had the smallest hotel bathroom I had ever encountered. The shower wasn't very efficient. There was a good selection of toiletries. The breakfast was excellent both in terms of food and service. There is a public car park across the road. We were charged £2.00 from 6pm until 8am. The hotel does offer more expensive valet parking. The hotel is well located as it is within the city walls and for this reason I would recommend it.

Dear traintraveller81,

Thank you for your kind comments following your stay at Hilton York.

I am delighted to read that overall you had an enjoyable stay and found the breakfast excellent and service efficient and friendly. We are fortunate to have a great central location for exploring York.

I am pleased you would recommend the Hilton York and hope we have the opportunity to welcome you both back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

My husband and I booked a two night stay at the Hilton a densities every minute of it. Check in staff were very helpful and welcoming. Our room was lovely and the location was amazing. The best thing we experienced was the breakfast, it was fantastic everything you could wish for. The staff were really welcoming int he morning and a special mention has to be paid to Shirley who made our eggs and ran the hot bar every morning. It was such a refreshing change to be greeted by a friendly welcoming face every morning and she couldn't do enough for you. Thank you so much for a great stay!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear rallygirl,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.

I was pleased to read your comments and delighted you had an enjoyable stay and had a fantastic breakfast experience.

I am very proud of my team as they work extremely hard delivering excellent customer service. I will be sharing your feedback with them all especially Shirley, breakfast chef.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We got a really good deal on this hotel, £50 for a double with breakfast. We were also complimentary upgraded to a better room but i'm not sure how much better this room was than the standard. The room was quite large and mostly clean, although there was a chocolate bar wrapper under the bed. The rooms themselves need a bit of an update, look like they haven't been in quite a while. Really good location, about a 5 minute walk to the Shambles. Great area and some really lovely pubs. The breakfast was nice, and eggs are cooked while you wait, to your preference. Parking £18 a night, but compared to the city's car parks this is quite reasonable. Overall, would recommend, a good stay.

Dear Emily H,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay.

I am pleased that over all you and a good stay and enjoyed our great central location and Hilton breakfast.

It is a pleasure to receive such great comments and I look forwared to welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the near future.

YORK, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

My wife and 9yo daughter stayed for 2 nights. The hotel was in a great location, about 2-3 minutes walk from Jorvik Centre and other tourist attractions. On arrival, we were upgraded to a room with 2 double beds at no extra charge. The breakfast was superb value and great quality and really set us up for the day. Staff were really friendly. Would definitely stay here again if visiting York.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

TyneandWear
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Spent a night here with husband and 5 year old daughter, we had a family room with 2 double beds, not a huge room but more than adequate and immaculately clean. We didn't spend too much time in the room as we were out and about exploring the beautiful city of York (weather was perfect to do so). The hotel is in a fantastic location and the centre is easily accessible, 5 minute walk (maximum) & right next to Cliffords Tower. We didn't eat at the hotel however we did have a drink when we returned in the evening and the drinks were pretty expensive but its what you expect in hotel bars these days. I would and did however draw the line at paying the prices for a glass of wine anywhere from £8.00 - £12.00 for nothing more than medium standard red wine. Breakfast at the hotel was lovely, loads of choice however sadly no mushrooms (my only gripe so not too bad I suppose). All staff were very pleasant from reception to waitress / waiters. Overall stay excellent and I would have no hesitation in returning / staying at this hotel in the future.

1 Thank perry007