“Great stay in room 207.”
Review of Hilton York

Hilton York
Ranked #39 of 46 Hotels in York
York, United Kingdom
“Great stay in room 207.”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I'm a young man, a York resident too, but I wanted to treat myself to a night off from the usual hassle of daily life, so I stayed here on the 6th of April for one day/night.. I arrived a little earlier than the normal check-in time, went and walked up to the main reception desk, frustratingly there was only one young woman working at the counter (despite there being a number of check-in computers unmanned) and so I had the pleasure of waiting behind a little old lady who wanted to go through an endless ton of questions, so having to stand there like a fool for 5-10 minutes carrying a very heavy backpack and side-bag wasn't very fun, eventually a man came to another computer and checked me in, as my room wasn't ready yet I was offered room 207, which I accepted..

After check-in I picked up my bags and went to find my room, my room was on the second floor, two of the lifts were down for maintenance and the only one that wasn't was for washing and laundry and general staff usage, so I took the stairs.

When I arrived at the room I was very pleasantly surprised, the amount of complementary items was a very welcome treat, set out on a small desk in a fancy fashion was chocolate bars (two Yorkies), a jar of nuts, a jar of jelly beans, wine (I don't drink alcohol, eat nuts or chocolate/sweets but it was a very cute thought on the hotel's side) bottled water, and free internet WiFi access!

As for the amenities, there was a nice sized TV (despite the reception being ever so slightly fuzzy), ironing board, iron, phone, hairdryer, great air conditioning, dressing gown/robes, etc.. The bed was somewhat hard, but there was a lot of pillows and covers.

The en-suite bathroom was small but very nice, good bathtub, nice shower, great sink, decent toilet, there was a great selection of complementary toiletries too, soap, flannel, shower cap, body wash gels, shampoo/conditioner.

There was hardly any noise, except for around two hours after checking in I heard from inside my room out in the corridor some fairly loud women who were working there, cleaning some of the empty rooms and talking/laughing loudly, the loud voices were somewhat annoying but bearable as it didn't last too long..

When it came time to check out, I checked out around 30 minutes later than the usual 12pm checkout time, no problems, I just handed in my room keycard and the lady at the desk said ''thank you, hope you enjoyed your time here, bye bye'', quick, no hassle.

All in all, a great little stay, the one or two issues I faced here were very unimportant / easily forgotten the second I got settled in my very, very lovely room..

Room Tip: I can only speak for my room, but 207 was a great room!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Manchester
Reviewed 7 April 2014

As a Gold hhonours member I travel and use numerous Hilton's across both the UK and Europe, sadly this experience doesn't rate highly on the list of Hilton's I would return to in the UK.
The hotel is in a perfect location and is either a short walk or taxi ride from Hilton station depending how you want to get to the hotel.
We stayed on a Friday night over Christmas and arrived at the hotel slightly earlier than the check in time at 14:05 instead of 15:00. The room was booked in the name of my partner and as she waited back in reception whilst I went to check her in the receptionist in question requested to 'see my girlfriend' before he would check us in under her name.
Upon solving that pleasant request he looked at his watch and said "well check in time is at 15:00 you'll have to come back". We weren't directed to go and relax in the bar for a drink whilst we waited just told that we would have to come back. Not a good start.
After we came back our room was finally ready and we had been told we had been upgraded as gold card members, I wouldn't like to see what the standard rooms were like as our deluxe room was small and cramped with an un-appealing bathroom.
We dined in the restaurant on the friday night and the food was ok if not outstanding whilst the service was slow at best. Again we had a poor experience in the restaurant on the Saturday morning for breakfast. We arrived at the restaurant and waited to be seated for over ten minutes as numerous waiting staff passed by without making eye contact and seemingly un-willing to take our room number and offer us a table. When finally seated we had to request coffee three times and the hot buffet had run out of Sausages, Bacon and eggs. We were told by the chef that the Sausages would probably be ten minutes, which at peak time and when you are already holding a plate of food quickly going cold isn't the best impression to make.
We checked out without being asked if we enjoyed our stay, would we return? Not unless major changes were made in the service in this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stash212

Travellers are raving about these York hotels

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Firstly you go by the name 'hilton' expecting quality but alas no, the foyer smelt of toilet drains, the carpets could do with a hoover plus one out of three lifts was out of order, our room was ok but why do people just let doors slam at nightime, do they do this in their own homes!! Breakfast was lovely and the view to clifford tower was good, next time we will choose a different hotel

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear Howie2014,

Thank you for your review on Hilton York following your recent visit.

I am sorry you feel that your stay did not live up to your expectations. Unfortunately there was a technical issue with one of our lifts which was resolved.

On a brighter note I am pleased you enjoyed the Hilton breakfast and view of Cliffords Tower.

Feedback is always important as it is a vital way of reviewing the level of service and facilities we provide our guests so as to make improvements. Once again thank you for your truly valuable comments and I am sorry that you feel you would not stay at the hotel again.

sunderland
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Hotel is centrally located. Stayed here many moons ago and it still offers a high quality of service. the reception staff are very polite and professional. Rooms were clean, not much of a view unless you upgraded, but this didn't spoil our stay. Breakfast's are great a huge selection and best orange juice i've tasted in a hotel, chef ill cook your eggs to your liking, overall a very enjoyable stay

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear majorcandme,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased you had an enjoyable short break at the Hilton York and found our orange juice to be very tasty!

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Having just stayed at this hotel, we found that the the location was really good close to everything you need, The rooms were clean and had plenty of room, no view at all, but were not really bothered about that.
The radiator was very noisey in the night.
One problem we had every time we left our room the room key would not work when we returned, and we had to keep going back to reception, the third time this happened the staff did not even apologies and the female staff on duty tried to tell us it was our fault we must of keep it with our keys and phone this was not the case at all no apology just the key handed back in fact no customer skills at all.
Breakfast was about average nothing special.
I doubt we would stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank craftyjan
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear craftyjan,

Thank you for positing a review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you experienced with the room key on this occasion. Your comments regarding the Front Desk have been noted and passed on to the Front Desk Manager for his attention.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Excellent value in a prime location, The staff were particularly impressive - friendly and ready to deal with requests quickly and efficiently. Rooms were clean and well furnished. The restaurant (breakfast and dinner) had good range of dishes. Particularly impressive was the snacks service in the bar where the waitress was outstanding - friendly and helpful. Reception staff always ready to help.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear marjoriep24,

Thank you for your positive feedback on this website.

It is a pleasure to receive such great comments and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and my team friendly and helpful. I will be sharing your comments with them all as they serve as a great motivator.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for one night in March. I booked a king sized room and was very surprised to open the door and see out the window, a picturesque view of Clifford's Tower! Wow! Besides the view, the room was clean and comfortable, and the staff was gracious.

Stayed March 2014
Dear Kelliannb,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at Hilton York.

I am pleased to read you had a lovely stay and enjoyed the beautiful view of Clifford’s Tower.

I look forwad to welcoming you back to the Hotel very soon.