“Good, not perfect”

Ranked #39 of 46 Hotels in York
Lancashire
“Good, not perfect”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Stayed at the hotel for 3 nights, I had a double room to myself and my daughters shared a twin room. My room was clean and tidy if a little worn around the edges but certainly nothing too bad. My daughters room was spacious, clean and tidy too. Sadly it was also noisy, their room {144} was directly beside the air conditioning fans or extractor fans I wasn't sure which. Those fans kept going for most of the stay, keeping them awake during the night, most un-pleasant for them. The front desk staff were very helpful and friendly, they attended to our check in very well and professionally however when we came to checking out we had to queue for some time as only one staff member was working the desk. Overall a good relaxing mini break for myself but a much more un relaxing one for my daughters. The beds were very hard, if you like a soft bed you will not be comfortable! Do not stay on room 144!!

Room Tip: Do not choose noisy room 144!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear DASL,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased that overall you had an enjoyable stay and found the room to be spacious and the Front Desk team helpful and friendly.

I do apologise for the noise issue. I have passed your comments on to the Maintenance and Night Manager, as we are currently reviewing our night procedures to avoid this from reoccurring in the future.

Should your travels bring you back to the area I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you all back.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I recently stayed at the Hilton York when in York for a 3 days course. The Hotel itself is nice and the staff were friendly enough but I expected more for my money. I found it unusual that a Hilton wouldn't have fitness facilities or access to a gym. I also think that WIFI should be included in the cost of the stay instead of having to pay this separately. The rooms were clean and fresh enough but there was no WOW factor that you would expect from a Hilton Hotel. This is far from being the best Hilton I have stayed in. I have stayed in nicer 3 and 4 star hotels and paid much less. The room service prices were extortionate and you can definitely get much better for a lot less in some of York's numerous restaurants.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Michelle G,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit. I am sorry your stay was not indicative of what you have come to expect from a Hilton hotel.

WiFi is complimentary in the Lobby and Restaurant areas.

We truly appreciate your feedback and for taking the time to post your comments as we use these to monitor our guests satisfaction.

york, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I booked in for 3 night stay for a buisness trip. the check in went smoothly and also the checkout the staff could only value you but the quality for a branded hilton hotel was rubbish. I would never stay here again. I stayed in the park inn hotel previous to this stay and had a better room. shower just trickled no plug for a bath, breakfast undercooked. Staff was really nice and helpful. My room was 133 and was overlooking a pub/club always noise.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Kiera S,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I was sorry to hear that you felt your stay was poor quality and that wefailed to deliver your expecations. It is extremely important to us that all of our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay.

On a brighter note I am pleased you found my team to be helpful. We appreciate your feedback and we do hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The room is small and warm (windows barely open, no a/c). There's no fridge in the room, and there's no ice machine. The bed is quite comfy. The bathroom is small but sufficient. Internet and TV could be better. The breakfast was decent, and though it was not impressive, it was sufficient.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Marc d,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. We really appreciate your feedback. I was however concerned to read that we did not meet some of your expectations in the areas that you have mentioned and your comments have been noted.

Feedback is always important as it is a vital way of reviewing the level of service and facilities we provide our guests. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Avalon Beach, Australia

Another perfect stay at Hilton the other was cologne Germany
We received a upgrade service was amazing from the front staff to the cleaning.
The restaurant was ok better restaurants nearby
Cannot fault this hotel room opposite Clifford's tower amazing
York is a city full of history this hotel located so not far to walk to see all there is to see
If we ever return to York we would certainly stay at this hotel

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear samsonSydney,

Thank you for your five star review on Hilton York.

I am delighted you had a perfect five night stay and enjoyed the hotel and lovely historic city of York.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Booked the hotel for my wifes birthday surprise. A weekend in York, with a show.
On arrival the concierge parked my car in the underground car park, and the whole check in process went smoothly. The hotel staff were very efficient and friendly, and overall everything went well. The hotel even put a few goodies in our room as a birthday surprise for my wife....most welcome !
Would recommend the hotel to anyone, and will be re-visiting soon ! Quality.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Barroni45,

Thank you for your kind comments on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased that you both had a lovely stay and enjoyed the goodies in the room for your wifes birthday.

It is a pleasure to receive such great feedback and that you would recommend the hotel.
I look forward to welcoming you both back to the Hilton York for another enjoyable stay.

Leven, Fife, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We, a family of four stayed at Hilton York recently, in a double double family room. We were lucky enough to get a room (228) at the back of the hotel where it was quiet though no view to speak of, this was not a concern for us. Check in was quick (we were booked in earlier than 3pm as our room was ready). The hotel was clean and staff friendly. Towels, wash cloths, shampoo, soap, shower gel, shower caps, tea/coffee facilities incl., TV, fan and hairdryer all provided; towels changed daily, bedding every three days unless requested more often. No fridge or minibar, again not a concern for us. I really liked the room safe provided which you use by inputting your own four number code (and leave open on departure!). Beds are of the soft variety, so bad if you suffer back problems, good if you like a soft bed. Ensuite: bath with shower above (water pressure not great as old building so bath took ages to fill but filled enough to wash the kids). We were warm with window open permanently so were glad of the fan. There are lifts and a ramp at the front of the Hotel, wide lobbies and doors, disabled toilet on ground floor near restaurant. WiFi costs extra as does overnight parking, not a concern for us. The breakfast and dinner were very good, though Applejacks was not nearly as good as TGI Fridays though similar cuisine. We booked for bed & breakfast after reading other reviews regarding the supplements payable for dinner, and there is plenty of choice of restaurants, all within walking distance. Just Google family friendly restaurants/pubs. Now apart from the Tower restaurant in the Hotel, we also liked The Olive Tree (you can see it from the Hotel, it also looks out on Clifford's Tower), and The Golden Fleece pub (most haunted pub in York!) for their massive Yorkshire puddings. The Three Tuns pub was also good with lovely home-made food and Earl Grey Tea Room in The Shambles. What you're paying for with Hilton York is the location, it is the most centrally located four star hotel in York. All the activities we visited or wanted to visit (just not enough time in a week to see it all!) were on the doorstep eg The Yorvik Viking Centre, Castle Museum (on the other side of Clifford's Tower), York Dungeon, The Ghost Creeper (meets every night at 7.30pm outside the Yorvik Viking experience and I highly recommend!), Clifford's Tower (outside the Hilton and boasts better views than York Minster), The Shambles, the market, walking the city walls, city tour on open top bus, and boat trip on the River Ouse. On the other side of town, though still walkable, The Railway Museum (free but asks donation) and York Minster where you can join a free tour and visit the undercroft to see the Roman road under the Minster, the Reel Cinema in the old Odeon building in Blossom Street also good for a rainy afternoon with children. Many different shops eg Imaginarium in Blake Street, Pop Culture Shop in Swinegate, The Gift Company in Church Street. I would recommend The Hilton York as long as you check on booking that they now close the fire doors at night (this did concern us). I began closing the fire doors about midnight (they were all opened by someone around 6am) but some inconsiderate guests left some doors open behind them when returning to their rooms in the early hours. Fire doors give precious extra seconds so you can escape before inhaling toxic cyanide-gas which causes confusion before it renders you unconscious. So please enjoy a safe and enjoyable stay at Hilton York.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Nyree B
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Nyree B,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor Following your recent visit.

I am pleased that overall you and your family had a good stay and enjoyed the central location for exploring York.

With reference to the fire doors, I would like to clarify that they are on an electro-magnetic system which means that when the fire alarm is activated these doors close automatically. We are inspected on a regular basis by our Area Health and Safety Manager and the Local Chief Fire Officer and comply with all Fire, Health and Safety regulations.

Should your travels bring you back to the area I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hilton York.

Kind Regards,