“A Fabulous Hilton Stay!”
Review of Hilton York

Hilton York
Ranked #38 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 19 July 2014

The Hilton York Castle is truly a great place to stay. It is central to the city and all the sights. York Castle (a 'keep' from Wm the Conqueror's days) is just across the road from the hotel. The hotel is clean everywhere. The staff are helpful, welcoming and will do just about anything to help you. Just ask! It's all done with a smile. Food is excellently prepared and tasted great. We ate dinner twice in the restaurant , had nice pre-dinner drinks in the bar (where the barman even remembered names/drinks we liked!), and the breakfasts were very good. The egg lady who cooks your eggs is so cheerful and welcomes you to the breakfast room with a smile: every day! All the staff are nice and caring. Our daughter had her birthday on one day and at the evening dinner the staff had decorated her table (with a little motherly warning about it being her birthday , of course)---confetti, balloons and a flower on the table. They put themselves out to help us with the cake which we had provided for the dessert. I can't thank the Hilton York Castle for the EXCELLENT stay we have just had. Wonderful! We will return one day.--

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jeanwats0n
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Jeanwats0n,

Thank you for your five star review on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to read you all had an excellent stay and you enjoyed the delicious food in the restaurant and found the breakfasts to be very good. I am pleased that my team made sure your daughter had a lovely birthday.

I look forward to welcoming you all back for another enjoyable stay in the not too distant future.

There are newer reviews for Hilton York

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Our second stay at this hotel, which is in an excellent, central location in the city opposite Clifford's Tower, perfect for visiting the city itself. The hotel is good, not luxury but perfectly acceptable. The staff are great, all very helpful, friendly and made our two night stay a pleasure. We will be back.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear DCKennedy,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on this website.

I am pleased to read you had another enjoyable stay and find our central location great for exploring York.

I will be sharing your comments with my team and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

The situation of the hotel was great and very close to the centre. however the room was dirty with cigerette lighter being left on the floor, and the shower had to be turned on 5 mins before you wanted to have a shower. The other major problem was the noise from the street below, which you ahve to contend with overall for a wedding anniversary was a poor show overall. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. But overall it was not what we have expected from Hilton. It need to have a coat of paint and for better insulation, and for room service to do there job and clear properly.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear 629gary,

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback onto TripAdvisor, following your stay at the Hilton York.

I was disappointed to read your comments regarding the areas, our services failed to deliver to your expectations. I would like to assure you that your experience is certainly not reflective of our normally high standards of service.

Your comments regarding the room cleanliness issues have been noted and will be addressed with the Housekkeping team.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed in York for one night on a Monday in July. Booked online as the room rate was half price and have always wanted to stay in The Hilton in York (usually stay at the ibis)
Check in was not very smooth, receptionist telephoned housekeeping to see if our room was ready and we were kept waiting for approx 15mins in the lobby area, I was under the impression that the room would be ready by 15.00 and made sure eye arrived after this (at 15.40)
On arrival in the room we found the upgraded package, there as a bottle of wine some chocolate and nuts etc waiting for us which was lovely.
Unfortunately the shower pressure was not very good at all but sometimes this can't be helped in old buildings! The complimentary toiletries were nice. Plenty towels and face cloths for us!
Bed comfortable enough but no spare pillows to hand, I'm sure we could have rang reception for one but it was late when we realised.
Breakfast was lovely there was plenty to choose from and if it wasn't there you could ask for it to be made, witnessed a family asking for a omelette which the chef was more than happy to make.
Check out was fine no problems noted and the concierge was quick and efficient at bringing my car up from the garage.
All in all a comfortable stay but I'm not sure I would have been happy to pay the 200 price tag.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear katydo12,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at the Hilton York hotel.

I am pleased to read that you had a comfortable stay and enjoyed the complimentary upgrade package and our great Hilton Breakfasts.

Should your travels bring you back to the area I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Over priced and not at all to the standard we expected for £200 a night. Location is the best thing about this hotel. I have stayed in better for a lot less money. The bed was comfy and the room a decent size, but no better than a premier inn. Parking attendant was no where to be seen we had to go searching for one before we could gain access off the road to underneath the hotel.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Janet H
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear Janet H,

Thank you your comments following your recent stay with us.

I was sorry to hear that on this occasion we failed to deliver to your expectations, as it is extremely important to us that all of our guests enjoy their stay.

Your feedback has been noted and shared with the relevant Managers for their attention.

I do hope despite your disappointment on this visit that we may have the opportunity of demonstrating our usual high standards on a future visit.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Stayed at the hotel for 3 nights, I had a double room to myself and my daughters shared a twin room. My room was clean and tidy if a little worn around the edges but certainly nothing too bad. My daughters room was spacious, clean and tidy too. Sadly it was also noisy, their room {144} was directly beside the air conditioning fans or extractor fans I wasn't sure which. Those fans kept going for most of the stay, keeping them awake during the night, most un-pleasant for them. The front desk staff were very helpful and friendly, they attended to our check in very well and professionally however when we came to checking out we had to queue for some time as only one staff member was working the desk. Overall a good relaxing mini break for myself but a much more un relaxing one for my daughters. The beds were very hard, if you like a soft bed you will not be comfortable! Do not stay on room 144!!

Room Tip: Do not choose noisy room 144!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear DASL,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased that overall you had an enjoyable stay and found the room to be spacious and the Front Desk team helpful and friendly.

I do apologise for the noise issue. I have passed your comments on to the Maintenance and Night Manager, as we are currently reviewing our night procedures to avoid this from reoccurring in the future.

Should your travels bring you back to the area I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you all back.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I recently stayed at the Hilton York when in York for a 3 days course. The Hotel itself is nice and the staff were friendly enough but I expected more for my money. I found it unusual that a Hilton wouldn't have fitness facilities or access to a gym. I also think that WIFI should be included in the cost of the stay instead of having to pay this separately. The rooms were clean and fresh enough but there was no WOW factor that you would expect from a Hilton Hotel. This is far from being the best Hilton I have stayed in. I have stayed in nicer 3 and 4 star hotels and paid much less. The room service prices were extortionate and you can definitely get much better for a lot less in some of York's numerous restaurants.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Michelle G,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit. I am sorry your stay was not indicative of what you have come to expect from a Hilton hotel.

WiFi is complimentary in the Lobby and Restaurant areas.

We truly appreciate your feedback and for taking the time to post your comments as we use these to monitor our guests satisfaction.