“Pleasantly surprised”

Ranked #38 of 46 Hotels in York
Skipton, United Kingdom
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel last minute and paid £66 for 1 night B&B for 2 adults and 2 children. The location is right next to the castle and a very easy walk into town. The room was clean and comfortable, if a little cramped with the travel cot. All the staff we encountered were very friendly and breakfast was excellent (especially impressed by the eggs being cooked to order). The only down side was the £18 charge for the car park, but had I spent £84 on the hotel including parking I wouldn't have been displeased so can't grumble too much about this.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Sally D,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

It is a pleasure to receive such great feedback and that you enjoyed the hotels central location and our ‘excellent’ Hitlon breakfast.

My team work extremely hard deliving great customer service at all times and I will be sharing your positive feedback with them.

Should your travels bring you back to the area I hop we have the opportunity to welcome you all back to the HiltonYork in the not too distant future.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

My family and I stayed here for one night on a stop over to a holiday cottage in north yorkshire. I wasn't expecting too much but was plesantly surprised. The room was fine and as I would expect and the breakfast in the morning was very nice. The hotel is located opposite the castle museum.

The staff were very friendly from the chap in the bar in the evening the night before to the lovely geordie lady at the breakfast bar the following morning.

The only downside is the cost of parking the car (£18) but we got the room for about £66 so all in all it wasn't to bad.

We would stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jimmyposhfan
Dear Jimmyposhfan,

Thank you for your review on the Hilton York following your recent stay.

I am pleased to read you and your family had a good stay and found my team to be most friendly and helpful. I will be passing you comments on to all my team as they serve as a great motivator.

I look forward to welcoming you all back to the Hilton York in the near future.

Reading, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

I stayed for one night on business. The hotel is very nicely situated and is within walking distance of most of the city attractions. It also has parking onsite.
However, I was quite disappointed with my room which had quite a budget feel about it, something that is not reflected in the price. It was clean but could probably best be described as "tired". There is no air con or fridge, the bathroom is tiny and the water pressure is very low. I also considered the £14-95 charge for 24 hours wi-fi to be extortionate, although I subsequently heard that it is free in the lobby . . .
I only took tea and toast for breakfast but there was quite a wide range of cooked food and cereals on offer. This appeared to be one of the better aspects of the hotel.
In summary, I think this hotel is trading on the Hilton brand / location. Its okay but I believe there to be better options in York which offer better value.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank 95Colin
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear 95colin,

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry to read of your disappointment with regards to your room. Our deluxe guestrooms have air conditioning and fans are provided in all our other rooms as it is important to make sure that guests are comfortable for the duration of their stay.

Wifi is complimentary in the lobby and restaurant areas.

Feedback is always important as it is a vital way of reviewing the level of service and facilities we provide our guests. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

First off the location is awesome. You are super close to everything in the city. It only takes a few minutes to get to all the major attractions which is a huge plus. The staff seem willing to help out where they can but when you have A/C issues at night there is nothing they can do to help since maintenance only works during the day. The downside is first they charge 18 pounds to park per night. The A/C in the front rooms seem to not function properly after 10:30pm and until 5am. Ask for a fan to use as this helps out. The drinks voucher for Gold & Diamond members only work for a bottle of cider, a glass of house wine, or a pint of beer. A shame because we would have preferred to try a mixed drink. The cider was so-so and the house wine had a weird after taste. This hotel claims to be 4-star but there is no gym, pool, or spa and that is a huge disappointment. The biggest compliant is the fact that the beds are extremely hard. Hilton needs to invest in pillow-top mattresses.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank malistar
Dear malistar,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased you enjoyed our great central location.

Your comments regarding the air conditioning have been noted and I do apologise for any inconvienence this may have caused. I can confirm that my Maintenance Team have resolved this issue.

I was sorry to hear that on this occasion we failed to deliver your expecations. It is extremely important to us that all of our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay.

Your loyalty is important to us and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Chichester West Sussex Uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

The Hilton York Castle is truly a great place to stay. It is central to the city and all the sights. York Castle (a 'keep' from Wm the Conqueror's days) is just across the road from the hotel. The hotel is clean everywhere. The staff are helpful, welcoming and will do just about anything to help you. Just ask! It's all done with a smile. Food is excellently prepared and tasted great. We ate dinner twice in the restaurant , had nice pre-dinner drinks in the bar (where the barman even remembered names/drinks we liked!), and the breakfasts were very good. The egg lady who cooks your eggs is so cheerful and welcomes you to the breakfast room with a smile: every day! All the staff are nice and caring. Our daughter had her birthday on one day and at the evening dinner the staff had decorated her table (with a little motherly warning about it being her birthday , of course)---confetti, balloons and a flower on the table. They put themselves out to help us with the cake which we had provided for the dessert. I can't thank the Hilton York Castle for the EXCELLENT stay we have just had. Wonderful! We will return one day.--

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Jeanwats0n
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Jeanwats0n,

Thank you for your five star review on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to read you all had an excellent stay and you enjoyed the delicious food in the restaurant and found the breakfasts to be very good. I am pleased that my team made sure your daughter had a lovely birthday.

I look forward to welcoming you all back for another enjoyable stay in the not too distant future.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Our second stay at this hotel, which is in an excellent, central location in the city opposite Clifford's Tower, perfect for visiting the city itself. The hotel is good, not luxury but perfectly acceptable. The staff are great, all very helpful, friendly and made our two night stay a pleasure. We will be back.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear DCKennedy,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on this website.

I am pleased to read you had another enjoyable stay and find our central location great for exploring York.

I will be sharing your comments with my team and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

The situation of the hotel was great and very close to the centre. however the room was dirty with cigerette lighter being left on the floor, and the shower had to be turned on 5 mins before you wanted to have a shower. The other major problem was the noise from the street below, which you ahve to contend with overall for a wedding anniversary was a poor show overall. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. But overall it was not what we have expected from Hilton. It need to have a coat of paint and for better insulation, and for room service to do there job and clear properly.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear 629gary,

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback onto TripAdvisor, following your stay at the Hilton York.

I was disappointed to read your comments regarding the areas, our services failed to deliver to your expectations. I would like to assure you that your experience is certainly not reflective of our normally high standards of service.

Your comments regarding the room cleanliness issues have been noted and will be addressed with the Housekkeping team.

Hotel Manager

Travellers are raving about these York hotels