“Perfect location, great service”
Review of Hilton York

Hilton York
Ranked #38 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

This Hilton has a spectacular location across from Clifford's Tower in York. Perfect access to the entire city centre. We had 2 adults/2 children in a family room; albeit tight with 4 people, the room provided everything we required. The full English breakfast was great; cook to order eggs were a perk.
If you're staying for less than 24 hours, park in the pay-and-park across the street.

Thank Thomas - Genevi... H
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear Thomas - Genevi... H,

Thank you for your five star review.

I am really pleased to read that you had a good stay and enjoyed the great service from all of the team. I will be sure to pass your comments on to them personally.

We look forwad to welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the near future.

Kind regards,

Martin Bradnam
Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,030)

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Very friendly staff and swift service. Allowed us to check in early & valet parking a bonus. We found the price reasonable & worth the cost. Perfectly located, ideal for the city tour bus which stops just outside.

Room Tip: A view of the castle would have been a bonus.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear julie h,

Thank you for your five star review on Hilton York.

Delighted to read you had an excellent time and enjoyed our lovely central location.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Kind regards,

Martin Bradnam
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Great location stayed in this hotel for two nights it's close to all attractions and restaurants etc. The room was very clean and comfortable staff were nice enough the only complaints I have about the hotel are - The parking cost is 18 pounds that's ridiculous and also the breakfast at 20 pounds!! per person is scandalous it really is. A few minutes walk down the road and you can have a lovely breakfast for more than half!! the price. also the actual cost of the room is a little over priced for just a standard double room. I would think about staying here again if the breakfast was included and the room cost wasn't so high. all in all we had fantastic couple of days in york can't wait to return.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel for a 2 night stay then read some of the reviews on here and wasn't sure what to expect with a fair few negative reviews. I have stayed in hilton a round the country and always found them to be a brilliant hotel and this was no different to be honest! I was more than happy to stay here for 2 nights. Yes it is a fairly expensive stay and the car parking is expensive but you are aware of this when you book it! The valet service was very good for me and they kept the car all day on the last day after check out which was a bonus. The reception staff are good I had no problems there either. I didn't bother with breakfast or meals in the hotel so I can comment on these I chose to eat around york instead. The location for this hotel is perfect, and the room was clean and a good size with plenty off toiletries. The room was also quiet and comfortable I had no problems what so ever sleeping! I do think at £148 a room a night maybe breakfast or parking or something should be included! Other than that no complaints for me and I would use this hotel again! Maybe on my next visit depending on what is available around york.

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

I stay here for business regularly and have previously not had issues with this hotel

As a hiltons honours member I've managed to build up a good set of points to be able to treat my fiancé to a two night stay here when we visited York together

Unfortunately the experience we had was so bad it's made we reconsider any future business stays here

The rooms are the standard fare for this type of hotel and the location opposite Clifford Tower is good.

The issue we had was with the noise and complete disregard for our complaint we made

On the first night of our stay a wedding party was staying and holding their wedding in the venue. Obviously it's expected there will be a level of noise from guests drinking until late and staying in the hotel. So why separate these guests and place them next to non wedding hotel guests

We were first woken at 1am by a loud and clearly far to intoxicated man arguing with other guests directly outside our room (clearly the hotel has no issue continuing to serve guests who have had far too much to drink already)

After asking the people outside our room to be quiet they continued to shout and argue and having tried to raise reception with no joy we then proceeded to have to put up with this noise until around 1.45am. Ruining our nights sleep and leaving us tired for the next day.

On raising this with the front desk the next morning a bland apology was offered with little concern shown.

I wouldn't say this spoiled our trip to York entirely but being extremely tired the following day certainly did not help us enjoy the rest of our stay.

As I said before I use this hotel regularly (around 15-20 times a year)

After this experience with my fiancé I will reconsider in future

One to avoid if you plan on having a decent nights sleep!

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank DBF29
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Not sure what I can say about this hotel; I've never stayed in a hilton before and I guess my expectations were quite high, as I expect most peoples are, due to the brand.

I honestly don't think it is any better than a premier inn. The bar was well overpriced and I had to clean a table before we could sit down, not really what you'd expect from a Hilton!

Room was average, no air conditioning though which was torture in August heat; again something I would expect as standard from a high class hotel.

Overall, the hotel just feels very tired and in need of a makeover.

I always like to find at least one plus point, for this it's definitely the location - it's in a great central position, close to all local attractions, so if that's what you want and don't mind paying through the nose for it then this place is for you.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

My wife and I and another couple stayed at this hotel from Friday 1st Aug until Monday 4th Aug.
The public areas are well presented. Our rooms were small as were the beds which also creaked something awful. Turning over whilst sleeping,there was a danger of being woken.

We couldn't fault the cleanliness and the attitude of the staff, shame about the breakfasts. Everything had been sitting around for ages except for fried eggs (yes fried in oil and came out greasy, yuk) and poached eggs which were done on request. I took some rashers of bacon home to repair my shoes with. The hash browns glistened under the hotlamps, reflecting the grease, didn't have the courage to put one in my mouth. Scambled egg was so old we made bouncing balls with them.

Tea and coffee was good as was the fresh Greek yoghurt which was really, really nice especially when covered with honey and it was also nice to be given a choice between white and brown bread.

So, overall, would I stay there again, probably not. Premier hotels offer bigger rooms and beds albeit without breakfast included but for less money.

Internet access was costed at £14.99p per day (what!!!) until we told reception they were having a laugh then it was offered at £5 per day. Other hotels we use (regularly) offer wifi free.

Car parking in the underground car park was £18 per day, glad it wasn't my car. Joking aside, we paid half of the charges our friends forked out for 3 nights parking just to let you know we're not skinflints.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay in York, such a lovely city. We will return.

Room Tip: go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends