“Excellent mini break”

Hilton York
Ranked #38 of 45 Hotels in York
“Excellent mini break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

On arrival a little stressed due to parking in York but this is always the case. But this was soon changed by the staff at the hotel. Are car was parked immediately and we were able to access the vehicle at anytime even before check in and after checking out. We were even able to leave the car after check out which allowed us to enjoy the rest of the day without the stress of finding parking. The room was very clean and had everything needed. The bed was exceptionally comfy and didn't want to get up. We also used the breakfast which was fantastic helpful staff and a large range of choice. As for the location, that was fantastic! A lovely view of Cliffords tower and a 10 min walk from anything in the city which allowed us to enjoy the short visit. Overall the hotel was fantastic with helpful, professional staff and a great central location.

• Stayed August 2014
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Dear Abigal G,

Thank you for your five star review.

Delighted to read you had a lovely stay and found our car park and concierge team most helpful and efficient. They are very good as our car park certainly is unique!

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Durham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

This is a Hilton Hotel.
I was so pleased to be staying at a Hilton Hotel I told everybody.
We arrived by car and I went to park in their underground car park but couldn't get in due to cars being moved around blocking the entrance, I then noticed the sign that had been covered by someone standing in front of it, as I parked up on double yellows a member of staff explained the process to me, there was valet parking I was well impressed. We entered the hotel which was really busy due to the races being on" again impressive, as expected the room wasn't ready but my bags where taken and my car keys, I got receipts for both. The staff where very pleasant and welcoming with very smart appearances.
We left the hotel and enjoyed a fantastic day at the races. We returned to the hotel to another warm welcome, and given our room key card and was quite surprised to be given our bags, I would have expected them to have been taken up to our room.
I have never been so deflated as I walked into our room. Basic! the room was probably the most basic room that I had ever stayed in, tea and coffee making facilities, TV, Iron & board. We made a cup of tea as we got ready to go out to dinner, there was two milk pods so we where only able to have one. I'm sure I could have asked for more but I would have expected at least 4 pods per person in the room. I put the TV on to find the picture to be grainy like it was snowing. I went to use the wifi and was absolutely disgusted to find a charge of £15 to use it, I'm sorry but that's daylight robbery a £240 per nite room and I still had to pay for wifi. In the bathroom there was the usual complementary toiletries however once again a tiny bottle of shower gel, enough to wash my hands and no chance of two people having a shower.
We returned to the hotel after dinner and went to our room to the sound of loud music blaring out from below just as well I'd had a busy day otherwise I would have been really angry. I woke at 3am and could not sleep I found it uncomfortable however my wife slept like a log all nite.
The next morning I went down to breakfast which was nice as where the staff. my car was brought to the front of the hotel and my keys handed over to me.

1. Perhaps I expected to much from the Hilton name.
2. The staff are fantastic and very friendly
3. Our room was Clean.
4. More milk pods are needed in the room
5. More shower Gel
6. Rooms need to be better styled more luxurious
7. Trouser press in room.
8. Extra Pillows.
9. FREE WIFI
10.Fix the TV's
11. Turn the music down from 21:30

THIS IS A HILTON HOTEL ONE OF THE BIGGEST NAMES IN HOTELS, LIVE UP TO IT.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Nigel T
Dear Nigel T,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay at Hilton York.

I am disappointed to learn that my hotel did not meet your expectations and I can confirm that your experience is certainly not reflective of our normal high standards of service.

Your feedback has been taken most seriously and I have shared this with my Department Managers for their attention.

Regarding the Wifi charge in the bedrooms, this is a national agreement by Hilton Hotels. Complimentary Wifi is available in the Reception area, Towers Bar and Restaurant and Applejack’s.

Shouldyour travels bring ou back to the area I hope we have the opportunity to showyou that we can do better.

Hotel Manager

Travellers are raving about these York hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Rooms are basic. No mini bar. Not even a complementary bottle of water in the room... same as a holiday inn or travel lodge just double the price!.Uncomfortable bed . Tv did not work. Music playing until midnight so no chance of an early night. Do not park in the hotel they charge £18 per day!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jricha500
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Jricha500,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor.

I was disappointed to read your comments regarding the areas our services failed to deliver to your expectations.

Car parking in York is at a premium, especially at the hotel. However, we thoroughly research the market when setting prices and I am confident that the charge we make is competitive both within the City of York and also other city centre located hotels throughout the country. In addition, our car park is both secure and offers valet parking at all times.

Feedback is always important as it is a vital way of reviewing the level of service and facilities we provide our guests. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

The location is great, right across from Clifford's Tower and the York Castle Museum. The rooms are modestly sized, but comfortable and well designed, including a small cafe table for enjoying a meal. Our family of 4 had two adjoining rooms which worked our well for us. The staff was friendly and helpful and sent a complementary snack and small bottle of wine to us along with our room service order. One of the rooms had a nice view of a clock tower. The breakfast in the restaurant was good.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Jesse-the-traveller,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay.

Pleased to learn you had lovely stay and enjoyed our great location and breakfast.

Should your travels bring you back to the area I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

Have just spent a couple of nights a this Hotel. I can strongly recommend this Hotel the staff were all very plesant and heipfull from the front desk to house keeper. The rooms and public areas were clean and tidy. The only negative comment I would make is that the bar and resturant were on the expensive side although the food,drinks and service could not be faulted.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear 5Iron,

Thank you for your five star review.

It is a pleasure to receive such great feedback and delighted you had a great weekend break.

I am pleased that you would recommend Hilton York and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Hotel room a bit dated and worn out but very clean. However hotel staff could not have been more helpful and cheerful. The breakfast was probably the best we have had it any hotel, both in quality and selection. Would stay again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Gary D,

Thank you for your positive review on Hilton York,

Delighted to read you had a lovely stay and enjoyed our great Hilton breakfast.

I look forward to welcomingyou back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

McLean, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

I can review only the room I stayed in. Perhaps other rooms at the Hilton York functioned better than mine, but it’s not likely any of them had air conditioning. On a warm, steamy day in August, the best the hotel could do for cooling was to offer a small portable electric fan to move the hot air about. But in my room, there was no convenient place to plug it in where it could circulate air where I needed it most. Opening the (unscreened) window helped a bit with the ventilation, but that action invited pests and let in too much street noise.

The one item I do wish had been hotter was the flow from the hot water faucet in the bathroom sink. It was very, very slo-o-o-w-w-w in heating up in my 3rd floor room at almost all times of day. And even after running for several minutes, at many times of day it seldom got hotter than lukewarm. If you want hot (or even lukewarm) water, you may wish to turn on the faucet 10 minutes in advance and leave it running.

Among the minor problems, my room appeared to have been hastily cleaned after the previous occupant departed -- I found the remains of some trash scattered around the room that had left behind. The closet was quite small and there were few drawers, so I mostly had to live out of my suitcase. The bathroom light switch didn't work at first, until I finally figured out that I was being too gentle. After some experimenting, I found that the switch had to be flipped hard and fast, with maximum authority, to get the bathroom lights to shine.

Wi-Fi was another issue. If you try to connect to the hotel’s signal from your room, the login page advises that it will cost you the equivalent of around US$26 per day. But don’t pay the asking price unless all else fails. You should first ask at the reception desk for a complimentary Wi-Fi voucher, which may be forthcoming, at least for a limited period. It worked for me, so it's definitely worth trying.

Despite the problems I had with the Hilton York, there were a number of positives. To start with, the hotel is well located near shopping and tourist attractions, all within easy walking distance. My room featured a safe for keeping valuables and a functioning flat-screen TV with 22 channels available. Bathroom amenities included shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, ample towels, shower cap, and facial tissue dispenser; a hair dryer was stored in a drawer. The hotel has a good bar and restaurant with excellent service. It offers a full English breakfast with lots of choices, hot and cold.

Summing up, the problems and annoyances I experienced at the hotel were balanced somewhat by the offsetting positives of food and location. You could probably do a lot better than the Hilton York, but you could also do a lot worse.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Dear RonKVA,

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor following your stay.

Our deluxe rooms in the hotel have air conditioning. We do try our utmost to make sure guests are comfortable for the duration of their stay by providing fans in all rooms.

Your feedback regarding the various problems that occured have been noted and will prove most useful when we come to review our products and services in the future.

On a brighter note I am pleased you enjoyed the location of the hotel the bathroom amenities.