“Just OK”

Ranked #39 of 46 Hotels in York
Atlanta, Georgia
“Just OK”
Reviewed 26 June 2009

Spent 2 nights at this hotel. Pros: Very well situated next to the old city. Cons: No air conditioning or way to open window enough to get breeze. Room overlooked abandoned building with lots of pigeon perches and consequently lots and lots of pigeon dung down the side of the building. Beds really really small and uncomfortable with hard mattresses and pillows that could serve as sandbags in the event of a flood. Flat screen TV was defective. Another annoyance was internet cost GBP15 a day for a slow wired service.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
HiltonYork, Hotel Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 5 August 2009

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I was sorry to learn of the disturbance you experienced from the pigeons which rest on the building next door. Whilst I would not like to make any excuses I would like to assure you that I have spoken with the owners of the building who are seeking advice and taking actions to ensure that such disturbances do not reoccur in future.

I was also sorry to note that you found the beds to be small and the pillows to be uncomfortable. Please rest assured that your comments have been taken on board and will prove most useful when we come to review our products and services.

Whilst I would not like to make any excuses I would like to confirm that the prices for our internet are agreed centrally and are competitive with other 4* hotels in York and throughout the UK.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future when I am certain your stay will be both comfortable and enjoyable.

Hotel Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Redlands, California
Reviewed 25 June 2009

I had some concerns after reading other reviews but went ahead as it was a "points" selection. Perhaps there are a variety of rooms--although that seems unlikely--but my two-queen room was reasonably large, very clean, and the beds were comfortable. Furnishings were up to date and the bathroom, although not large, was modern and efficient. Reception was pleasant and friendly. The location is certainly excellent and there is a very good small restaurant (31 Castlegate) right across the street to the left. Obviously choices and value-perception can be price-affected but I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank vnrose52

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I am delighted to note that you had a pleasant stay with us and enjoyed the location of the hotel.

It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback and I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Kirkintilloch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2009

I would like to recommend this hotel for any visitors who have a disability. Firstly there are rooms that have adaptations and pull cords, secondly there is a ramp for wheelchair users leading to the front door, thirdly there is free parking directly in front of the hotel for blue badge users and if that is full then there's a car park just beside, finally the staff were extremely helpful and considerate, charming and friendly. The hotel itself is very central for shopping and sights, restaurants and the main road into York. All in all it was a very pleasant experience and one we intend to repeat.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I am delighted to note that you had a pleasant stay with us and received excellent service throughout.

Yorkshire, England
Reviewed 15 June 2009

I chose this hotel primarily because of its excellent location - handy for everything, including shops and tourist attractions. I went with a friend for a girly weekend and we had a really lovely stay. The rooms are clean and have everything you need and we found the beds incredibly comfortable despite a previous review. The breakfasts are absolutely brilliant - a great choice. The staff were excellent both on reception and in the dining room at breakfast (didn't try the evening meal). My only gripe is that I booked a 'double double' room way in advance on the Hilton website. When we got there we were given a double room. After a bit of argy bargy we were given a room with a double and single bed which was better than nothing, but that's beside the point when you have paid £155 in advance. Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel and I will certainly go back there myself. Well done Hilton!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your recent stay here at the Hilton York.

It is always a pleasure to receive such feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Blackpool
Reviewed 11 June 2009

We went to York for the races and stopped at the Hilton.
It is a very good location, inside the city walls and our room had a view of the 12th century Clifford's Tower.
Check in was efficient and quick and parking was arranged (you need to park outside the hotel first, then you are directed down into a basement car park. (You are not told that it costs £15 a night.)
The rooms are small and the bed we had was rock hard, with a wooden base. Room cleaning was excellent. The mattress cover didn't fit the bed and the duvet was ripped.
Breakfast was very good. We had dinner on one night and it was very overpriced with really bizarre, disconnected service. A waitress brought our wine, poured some for tasting, then her phone went off and she left without waiting to see if we liked it! 5 minutes later a different waitress appeared and said the first waitress had been re asigned to another part of the hotel!
The restaurant had just 3 tables of diners and the three waiting on staff were struggling to cope.
Staff were all friendly and check out was quick and efficient.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I am sorry that you found the bed in your room to be uncomfortable. Your comments have been taken on board and will prove most useful when we come to review our products and services.

Since receiving your comments, I have had a discussion with my Restaurant Manager who has discussed your comments with the restaurant team and will be carrying out retraining to ensure that such instances are not repeated in future.

On a positive note, I was pleased to note that you enjoyed the location of the hotel and found the cleanliness of your room to be excellent.

Once again, thank you for your comments. It is through such feedback that we can continue to improve the service that we offer. I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Hotel Manager

Travellers are raving about these York hotels

USA
Reviewed 7 June 2009

We found this hotel only average regarding service, room, and amenities; which was quite surprising given that it is the Hilton in a major city. However, the greatest surprise was the price for everything - high room rate, high Internet access fee, high parking fee, high dining costs. For one night stay, I recommend parking across the street in the city parking because it is less expensive.

But the location is great. Easy walking to all major tourist destinations. I would recommend this hotel ONLY with caveats.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I am sorry that you found the hotel to be expensive for dining, internet and parking costs and I would like to confirm that all of our prices are agreed centrally and are competitive with other 4* hotels throughout the UK.

Unfortunately, in York car parking is at a premium, especially at the hotel. However, I am confident that the charge we make is competitive both within the City of York and also other city centre located hotels throughout the country. In addition, our car park is both secure and offers valet parking at all times.

On a positive note, I was pleased to note that you enjoyed the location of the hotel.

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 6 May 2009

I don't know what hotel the other reviewers were at but it wasn't this Hiton. The carpet in our room was the dirtiest floor covering I've ever seen, There was dust an inch thick behind out bathroom door. There were stains on our duvet cover. The carpet on the stairs was obviously used to clean a very dirty truck engine. The whole place looked run down with battered doors. Our room boiled when the windows were closed and very noisey when open. The service at breakfast was the worst we've ever experience in any hotel never mind a Hilton. It took 3 attempts to order a coffee and a tea before they arrived - when we had finished our breakfast. There were trays of dirty glasses all over the place and the tables were dirty. The bar was the same story at night time. Staff were the most unprofessional, slow and demotivated I've ever encountered. Check in simply took ages and then despite confirming everything before arrival by email it was wrong. We loved York but this hotel nearly destroyed it for us. Hilton this simply isn't good enough and this simply is not up to Hilton standards.

Plus Points

Location
Quality of standard Hilton Breakfast.

Negative Points :

Very poor service
Dirty Carpets in room and on the stairs
Stains on Duvet Cover
Dirt in Bathroom which was tiny
Tiny Room
Bath Towels I wouldn't try and dry my dog with
Extremely slow and poor service at breakfast
Couldn't care less attitude of most of the staff we met

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family

Thank you for your comments on this website.

May I first of all apologise for the shortfalls in housekeeping standards that you experienced. Please be assured that our room checking procedures are presently being reviewed to ensure that my team is more vigilant in its preparation for guest arrival.

There can be no excuses for the poor service you received in our bar and breakfast area. Since receiving your comments, I have had a discussion with my Bar and Restaurant Manager who is talking action to ensure that such situations are not repeated in the future.

Whilst I would not like to make any excuses, I would like to assure you that your experience is certainly not reflective of our normally high standard of service.