Hilton York
Hotel 53(York)
  • Pool
  • Bar/Lounge
3,082 results
All reviewsclifford's towertwo double bedscar parkexcellent locationcastle museumcentral locationreception staffbreakfast was excellentstayed for one nightshort breakvaletshamblespubsminster
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 June 2009

stayed at this hotel for one night (thank god). rooms was very small and dirty, bed was very hard with springs poking out of side of bed.
do not use the car park if you have a decent car. you have to pay £15.00 a night for the pleasure of leaving your car in this under ground area, leaving keys with car park attendent for them to keep moving your car as and when other people need to use their cars. all cars are parked at owners risk. then we had to wash car as it was covered with dirt from extracter fans. one good point breakfast was good.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
HiltonYork, Hotel Manager at Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2009

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I was most concerned to hear of the shortfalls in standards that you experienced on this occasion, especially the poor standard of the mattress. Whilst I would not like to make any excuses, please be assured that this is not reflective of our usual high standards and your comments have been fully investigated with the Head Housekeeper.

I am confident that the charge we make for our car park is competitive both within the City of York and also other city centre located hotels throughout the country. In addition, our car park is both secure and offers valet parking at all times and member of our concierge team are fully trained before driving any guest’s cars.

Once again, thank you for your comments. It is through such feedback that we can continue to improve the service that we offer.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future when I am certain your stay will be both comfortable and enjoyable.

Reviewed 29 June 2009

just to start off,i am not the sort of person that writes a review about a hotel and am not a critic usually but i have to warn other people of how dirty the rooms were.we went on 27th june to the hilton for my sisters hen party which obviously was supposed to be a special occasion.we thought we would treat her and opted for the hilton as it has a reputation of being a very good hotel chain-what a mistake!first of all we were on different floors of the hotel,baring in mind that we had booked at the same time.when me and my younger sister (not the hen) got to our room, all i can say was it was tiny-barely enough room to swing a cat.also,it was absolutely roasting so i rang reception to ask for a fan and they said they would"try" to find one from somewhere.how good of them.the fan arrived 3 hours later,by which time we were already out of the room.there was no air conditioning.the rooms looked OK on arrival but on a closer look they were awful.the windowsills were covered in dust,the bed sheets had rips in them and stains on the runners.we had a lovely view of scaffolding outside.i decided to call my sister who was on a different floor,and ask how their room was.oh dear!they had asked for twin beds, but had got a double which sometimes happens i know so when the reception staff came up to separate the beds, a chunk of half eaten yorkie was found!they had obviously not changed the bed sheets prior to our arrival but had made it look as though they had been changed-disgusting!all in all we made the best out of a bad situation and had a really good night out in york-just wished we had booked somewhere else to stay!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank hatsie204

Thank you for your comments on this website.

May I offer you my sincere apologies. I was deeply concerned to hear of the shortfalls in housekeeping standards that you experienced on this occasion. Please be assured that this is not reflective of our usual high standards and I can confirm that our bed linen is changed after each guest checks out of the hotel. Your comments regarding this most embarrassing oversight have been fully investigated with my Head Housekeeper and I do not expect such issues to reoccur in future.

Hotel Manager.

Reviewed 26 June 2009

Spent 2 nights at this hotel. Pros: Very well situated next to the old city. Cons: No air conditioning or way to open window enough to get breeze. Room overlooked abandoned building with lots of pigeon perches and consequently lots and lots of pigeon dung down the side of the building. Beds really really small and uncomfortable with hard mattresses and pillows that could serve as sandbags in the event of a flood. Flat screen TV was defective. Another annoyance was internet cost GBP15 a day for a slow wired service.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I was sorry to learn of the disturbance you experienced from the pigeons which rest on the building next door. Whilst I would not like to make any excuses I would like to assure you that I have spoken with the owners of the building who are seeking advice and taking actions to ensure that such disturbances do not reoccur in future.

I was also sorry to note that you found the beds to be small and the pillows to be uncomfortable. Please rest assured that your comments have been taken on board and will prove most useful when we come to review our products and services.

Whilst I would not like to make any excuses I would like to confirm that the prices for our internet are agreed centrally and are competitive with other 4* hotels in York and throughout the UK.

Hotel Manager.

Reviewed 25 June 2009

I had some concerns after reading other reviews but went ahead as it was a "points" selection. Perhaps there are a variety of rooms--although that seems unlikely--but my two-queen room was reasonably large, very clean, and the beds were comfortable. Furnishings were up to date and the bathroom, although not large, was modern and efficient. Reception was pleasant and friendly. The location is certainly excellent and there is a very good small restaurant (31 Castlegate) right across the street to the left. Obviously choices and value-perception can be price-affected but I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank vnrose52

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I am delighted to note that you had a pleasant stay with us and enjoyed the location of the hotel.

It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback and I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 24 June 2009

I would like to recommend this hotel for any visitors who have a disability. Firstly there are rooms that have adaptations and pull cords, secondly there is a ramp for wheelchair users leading to the front door, thirdly there is free parking directly in front of the hotel for blue badge users and if that is full then there's a car park just beside, finally the staff were extremely helpful and considerate, charming and friendly. The hotel itself is very central for shopping and sights, restaurants and the main road into York. All in all it was a very pleasant experience and one we intend to repeat.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I am delighted to note that you had a pleasant stay with us and received excellent service throughout.