“AVOID AT ALL COSTS”

Ranked #39 of 46 Hotels in York
The Midlands
“AVOID AT ALL COSTS”
Reviewed 8 August 2009

Forget any preconceived Hilton standards at the Hilton York. Having stayed Hiltons in Sweden and Germany this was planned as a one night birtday treat, wished I had not bothered, the location, although near to Cliffords Tower, is also near to a large public car park where colourfulg going-on go on well into the night. The only courteous staff were on reception, the rest have enough attitude to work for a provincial branch of Molton Brown, the choice of menu in the restaurant was limited, and if you had paid for the meal package you had to pick your way through the asterisks to see what was included and what was extra. Breakfast was a rushed and tawdry affair too, not enough space, families in schorts and flip flops slobbing about all over the place.

This was a waste of money, If you want bit of class, AVOID AT ALL COSTS. In fact, scratch York off your list and go to Chester instead!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank clintonjust
HiltonYork, Hotel Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 18 August 2009

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I was sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us and it is with regret that I learnt that you felt you did not receive good service from our team throughout your stay. Whilst it is highly unusual for me to receive comments of this nature, please rest assured that your comments have been taken onboard and the necessary corrective action, in the form of re-training in the importance of customer care, has been instigated to ensure that such experiences do not reoccur in future.

Once again, thank you for your comments. It is through such feedback that we can continue to improve the service that we offer.

I understand your reluctance to return to my hotel, however I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Hilton York in the future, when I am certain we can show you that your experience is certainly not reflective of our usually high standards of service.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Yorks
Reviewed 3 August 2009

Have recently returned from an excellent stay at Hilton York. We chose this hotel due to its central location - ideal for meeting up with friends from around the country. Having just read some of the reviews posted, I certainly wonder if they stayed at the same hotel!!
We decided to park in the underground car park - £15 - a little more than I would like to have paid but for convenience it was worth it. Plus it's worth remembering this hotel is very central and it is in a city centre. We were warmly greeted and our car was parked no problem.
Check was quick and efficient and our room was spotlessly clean. We even received a phone call to check everything was ok with our room. The room wasn't the largest we had stayed in but it was just a base. The view wasn't great but was I really going to sit and stare out of the window when I was in one of the most beautiful cities in the country?!
We ate in the American style diner attached to the hotel. This had a more livelier atmosphere and the food was superb and portions were very generous. There was a good range of cocktails.
The highlight of our stay was breakfast , an excellent host - John - greeted us and nothing was too much trouble. The food was fresh and very tasty and there was so much choice.
The staff around the hotel were all friendly and polite. We will definitely be returning, well done Hilton - an excellent hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank BAJunior
HiltonYork, Hotel Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 5 August 2009

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your recent stay here at the Hilton York.

It is always a pleasure to receive such feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely,
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2009

I stayed here with 8 girlfriends for a birthday celebration. The rooms smelled, were dirty (a certain type of hair in the bathtub etc) extremely hot in July and no A/c in 3/4's of the hotel and generally grubby, all of which is unacceptable for a Hilton IMO. We could only change one room as the hotel was fully booked I would not recommend this hotel to anyone - at £155/room before breakfast it is an expensive waste of money - BEWARE!!

• Stayed July 2009

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I was most concerned to hear of the shortfalls in standards that you experienced on this occasion especially the poor standard of cleanliness in the bedroom. Please be assured that this is not reflective of our usual high standards and your comments have been fully investigated with the Head Housekeeper.

Whilst our deluxe rooms do have air conditioning, our standard rooms do not and due to the hotel being fully booked in all of our deluxe rooms, my team were unable to offer all of your party alternative rooms with air conditioning.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Hotel Manager

Travellers are raving about these York hotels

Scotland
Reviewed 29 July 2009

Had booked room because had been given gift vouchers and needed to use them. Had stayed in York before and was really looking forward to staying at the Hilton - didn't have a great view (room at back of hotel) and room not that great when you looked closer. Bathroom smelt damp - but think that due to no extractor fan. Bed was ok when I got some extra pillows. Parking charges were not an issue as there was disabled parking across the road otherwise have to agree that £15 is a bit expensive. Staff and service were very good - would probably stay again if we got a good deal as hotel is in perfect location for touring York.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2009

The York Hilton is in a great location, right next to Cliffords Tower and just minutes walk away from all the attractions in York. We had a standard room, booked through a Top Secret hotel deal with lastminute.com and although the rooms are on the small side they are nicely presented.

However even though we stayed on a Sunday and Monday night our first night's stay was ruined by the noise from the bar downstairs that other reviewers have noted. We had been put in a first floor room right above the bar, which was running a karaoke night with a PA system so loud we couldn't hear the TV in our room, let alone sleep. Having called the duty manager twice to complain with no improvement or response, we eventually went down to the reception asking to be moved to another room, which to the reception staffs credit they sorted out immediately. The good customer service from the reception staff earns this hotel an average rating, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone unless they got a really great room rate and didn't mind the noisy bar.

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I am sorry that you were disturbed by noise from our bar. I am currently in the process of reviewing the entertainment provided in the hotel to ensure that our guests’ are not disturbed. That said, I have reminded the relevant managers of their responsibility to ensure that all of our guests are comfortable for the duration of their stay.

However, I was pleased to note that my team were able to move you to an alternative room and did so in a professional and empathetic manner.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2009

The hotel's in a great location. They offer valet parking to a basement garage (although some cars are parked off-site in an overflow car park).
Staff seem well trained - polite and courteous.
Used Hilton Hhonors points for weekend visit - would have been disappointed if paid over £300 for two nights. Got a free upgrade but I'm not sure how much worse the standard room would have been. First floor above the bar meant we got to hear (and smell) all of the smokers who stood outside the bar until 3am - the hotel is popular with stag and hen parties.
Double bed was unbelievably uncomfortable, bathroom very small and TV sound quality poor.
Room service breakfast tray full of mistakes on first morning so went to restaurant for buffet breakfast next day - great choice of hot and cold food but neither of the toasters worked effectively.
I would stay again but only if I could get a better room and the price was right.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I am sorry that you were disturbed by noise and the smell of smoke from people smoking below the window. My team do endeavour to move smokers from the front of the hotel to avoid such problems. I am sorry that this was not the case on this occasion. Your comments have been taken on board and will prove useful when we come to review our smoking policy.

I was also sorry to note your comments regarding breakfast. Please be assured that this is not reflective of our usual high standards and your comments have been fully investigated with the Restaurant Manager.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2009

I've just returned from two (sleepless) night at this hotel Thursday (23rd) and Friday (24th). I initally thought that we'd got a very good deal through lastminute top secrethotels offers. However, both nights were ruined by drunken inconsiderate morons shouting and screaming - that started once the numerous local pubs kicked out and went on until well after 3am.
The negative side of the hotels central location is that it the hotel appears to be a magnet for hen and stags nights.
I appreciate that people are perfectly entitled have a 'good time' - but this was totally unacceptable behavour and the hotel appeared to do nothing to control it.

The room was small, but clean. I thought that the parking £15 per night and water £3.49 overpriced. York is a great city to visit and I will certainly return but I would not return to this hotel. Anyone wanting a pleasant and relaxing hotel visit should stay well clear of this hotel at the weekend.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I do sympathise with the situation regarding disturbance from other hotel guests. Whilst I am sure that you will appreciate it is very difficult to completely control the behaviour of the other guests, I am very sorry for the inconvenience this situation caused you. My Night team do make every effort to control loud and disruptive guests and I am sorry that on this occasion, this was not the case.

Whilst I would not like to make any excuses, I would like to assure you that your experience is certainly not reflective of our usually high standards of service.