“Unbeatable value for money...”
Review of Hilton York

Hilton York
Ranked #39 of 46 Hotels in York
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Unbeatable value for money...”
Reviewed 9 August 2009

Stayed in the Hilton York with my wife and son for a few days last week. We got a great deal from the Hilton web-site, £51 per night for the room and including full breakfast!!! Better value than a Premier Inn or Travel Lodge. Our room was large with a king size bed and a large single bed, tea/coffee making facilities, TV etc. My only complaint with the room was a lack of air conditioning as the room got quite stuffy at night, but with the window open, it wasn't really a problem. The breakfast choice was enormous with something for all tastes. All the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. Those working the breakfast shift were particularly friendly. The underground car park was £15 per night and well worth it for secure parking. The hotel is in a great location with some great restaurants and sights, including the Jorvik Centre only a couple of minutes walk away.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
HiltonYork, Hotel Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 18 August 2009
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your recent stay here at the Hilton York and found the staff to be friendly and helpful.

It is a pleasure to receive such feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2009

Just returned from a nite at the hilton. Great location. Parking okish. I dont like strangers moving my car or having the key. When I checked in i was told if they didnt have space under the hotel my car would be driven to another location. I was not happy about this but luckly there was one space left but i still had to leave my keys. Cost £15 for 24hours. Which is loads but it would cost loads more if you parked in the car park across the road from hotel. We didnt eat at the hotel as i guessed cos the breakfast was £20 eat dinner would be pricy. There are so many places to eat in York. The shopsare two minutes walk away. My advice if you are visiting get there early, if not just to park but the traffic into town is heavy.

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I was sorry to learn that you did not feel comfortable with a member of our Concierge team driving your car and I would like to assure you that all of our car park attendants do go through a training programme before being allowed to drive our guest’s cars and are fully insured to drive our guest’s cars.

I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed the location of the hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Once again, thank you for your comments. It is through such feedback that we can continue to improve the service that we offer.

I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

The Midlands
Reviewed 8 August 2009

Forget any preconceived Hilton standards at the Hilton York. Having stayed Hiltons in Sweden and Germany this was planned as a one night birtday treat, wished I had not bothered, the location, although near to Cliffords Tower, is also near to a large public car park where colourfulg going-on go on well into the night. The only courteous staff were on reception, the rest have enough attitude to work for a provincial branch of Molton Brown, the choice of menu in the restaurant was limited, and if you had paid for the meal package you had to pick your way through the asterisks to see what was included and what was extra. Breakfast was a rushed and tawdry affair too, not enough space, families in schorts and flip flops slobbing about all over the place.

This was a waste of money, If you want bit of class, AVOID AT ALL COSTS. In fact, scratch York off your list and go to Chester instead!

1 Thank clintonjust

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I was sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us and it is with regret that I learnt that you felt you did not receive good service from our team throughout your stay. Whilst it is highly unusual for me to receive comments of this nature, please rest assured that your comments have been taken onboard and the necessary corrective action, in the form of re-training in the importance of customer care, has been instigated to ensure that such experiences do not reoccur in future.

I understand your reluctance to return to my hotel, however I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Hilton York in the future, when I am certain we can show you that your experience is certainly not reflective of our usually high standards of service.

Hotel Manager

Travellers are raving about these York hotels

Yorks
Reviewed 3 August 2009

Have recently returned from an excellent stay at Hilton York. We chose this hotel due to its central location - ideal for meeting up with friends from around the country. Having just read some of the reviews posted, I certainly wonder if they stayed at the same hotel!!
We decided to park in the underground car park - £15 - a little more than I would like to have paid but for convenience it was worth it. Plus it's worth remembering this hotel is very central and it is in a city centre. We were warmly greeted and our car was parked no problem.
Check was quick and efficient and our room was spotlessly clean. We even received a phone call to check everything was ok with our room. The room wasn't the largest we had stayed in but it was just a base. The view wasn't great but was I really going to sit and stare out of the window when I was in one of the most beautiful cities in the country?!
We ate in the American style diner attached to the hotel. This had a more livelier atmosphere and the food was superb and portions were very generous. There was a good range of cocktails.
The highlight of our stay was breakfast , an excellent host - John - greeted us and nothing was too much trouble. The food was fresh and very tasty and there was so much choice.
The staff around the hotel were all friendly and polite. We will definitely be returning, well done Hilton - an excellent hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank BAJunior
HiltonYork, Hotel Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 5 August 2009

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your recent stay here at the Hilton York.

It is always a pleasure to receive such feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely,
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2009

I stayed here with 8 girlfriends for a birthday celebration. The rooms smelled, were dirty (a certain type of hair in the bathtub etc) extremely hot in July and no A/c in 3/4's of the hotel and generally grubby, all of which is unacceptable for a Hilton IMO. We could only change one room as the hotel was fully booked I would not recommend this hotel to anyone - at £155/room before breakfast it is an expensive waste of money - BEWARE!!

• Stayed July 2009

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I was most concerned to hear of the shortfalls in standards that you experienced on this occasion especially the poor standard of cleanliness in the bedroom. Please be assured that this is not reflective of our usual high standards and your comments have been fully investigated with the Head Housekeeper.

Whilst our deluxe rooms do have air conditioning, our standard rooms do not and due to the hotel being fully booked in all of our deluxe rooms, my team were unable to offer all of your party alternative rooms with air conditioning.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Scotland
Reviewed 29 July 2009

Had booked room because had been given gift vouchers and needed to use them. Had stayed in York before and was really looking forward to staying at the Hilton - didn't have a great view (room at back of hotel) and room not that great when you looked closer. Bathroom smelt damp - but think that due to no extractor fan. Bed was ok when I got some extra pillows. Parking charges were not an issue as there was disabled parking across the road otherwise have to agree that £15 is a bit expensive. Staff and service were very good - would probably stay again if we got a good deal as hotel is in perfect location for touring York.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2009

The York Hilton is in a great location, right next to Cliffords Tower and just minutes walk away from all the attractions in York. We had a standard room, booked through a Top Secret hotel deal with lastminute.com and although the rooms are on the small side they are nicely presented.

However even though we stayed on a Sunday and Monday night our first night's stay was ruined by the noise from the bar downstairs that other reviewers have noted. We had been put in a first floor room right above the bar, which was running a karaoke night with a PA system so loud we couldn't hear the TV in our room, let alone sleep. Having called the duty manager twice to complain with no improvement or response, we eventually went down to the reception asking to be moved to another room, which to the reception staffs credit they sorted out immediately. The good customer service from the reception staff earns this hotel an average rating, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone unless they got a really great room rate and didn't mind the noisy bar.

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I am sorry that you were disturbed by noise from our bar. I am currently in the process of reviewing the entertainment provided in the hotel to ensure that our guests’ are not disturbed. That said, I have reminded the relevant managers of their responsibility to ensure that all of our guests are comfortable for the duration of their stay.

However, I was pleased to note that my team were able to move you to an alternative room and did so in a professional and empathetic manner.