“Very nice place”

Ranked #39 of 46 Hotels in York
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Very nice place”
Reviewed 27 August 2009

We have stayed here about 5 or 6 times over the last few years, we have a 16 year old son and this is perfect as he can have his own room with an interconnecting door, the staff are always very helpfuland polite. The breakfast is help yourself buffet and is always hot and tasty. The location is spot on for everything, sightseeing and shopping.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank lexi71
HiltonYork, Hotel Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 1 September 2009

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your recent stay here at the Hilton York and found the staff to be helpful and polite.

It is a pleasure to receive such feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2009

its,goodish,was very busy and staffing levels seem tight,but all staff were polite and had a knowledge of York.
But we paid less than £50 quid a room a night.
Pay the full price and its too expensive.
15quid park car,
Breakfast was outstanding.

1 Thank 69sunnydee
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your recent stay here at the Hilton York and found the staff to be polite and the breakfast to be outstanding.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2009

The whole stay at this hotel was disappointing from start to finish. Despite the fact it is advertised as "self parking" you have to leave your car keys with the concierge for the duration of your stay and they will park the car and move it as and when they need to fit more cars in to the car park. And be warned.....it took an hour to get the car back, despite reassurances from the reception staff that it was on its way, it could have driven 50 miles in the time it took to get from the overflow.

The room was expensive for what it was and did not include breakfast, which was not clearly displayed on the website or on the confirmation.

The TV was broken in the room and we had to call maintence in to see to it. It was mended relatively swiftly, but when you are paying the prices that the Hitlon charge you would expect things as basic as the TV to be working.

The shower had absolutely no pressure behind the water.

When we returned to our room around midnight, we could hear loud music clearly from the bar downstairs which continued through until around 1.30am.

However, by far the worst issue was the lack of air conditioning and the ridiculous heat. The room was so hot that it was uncomfortable and whilst a fan was provided, that was too noisy to leave on all night so it was a disturbed night of grabbing a couple of hours, waking up in a sweat, turning the fan on for a while and then off to try and grab a couple more hours.

Woken intermittently by noisy drunken guest shouting in the corridor which granted the hotel can not control but a quick word from the reception as they pass through may not go a miss.

Overall, for location is perfect for exploring York but the hotel is disappointing for the prices charged. The staff were unhelpful and while this may just have been an off day, it needs to book its ideas up to compete as a 4*.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I was sorry to learn that you did not feel comfortable with a member of our Concierge team driving your car and I would like to assure you that all of our car park attendants go through a training programme before being allowed to drive our guest’s cars and are fully insured to drive our guest’s cars.

I was also disappointed to learn of the delay you encountered when collecting your car for departure. Whilst it is highly unusual for me to receive feedback of this nature, please rest assured that I have passed your comments onto my Concierge Manager for review and action.

May I also extend my apologies for the discomfort caused by your room being too hot. Whilst our deluxe rooms do have air conditioning, our standard rooms do not and with our guests comfort in mind, fans are available for rooms with no air conditioning.

Once again, thank you for your comments. It is through such feedback that we can continue to improve the service that we offer.

I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Hotel Manager

Travellers are raving about these York hotels

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2009

Stayed in the Hilton York with my wife and son for a few days last week. We got a great deal from the Hilton web-site, £51 per night for the room and including full breakfast!!! Better value than a Premier Inn or Travel Lodge. Our room was large with a king size bed and a large single bed, tea/coffee making facilities, TV etc. My only complaint with the room was a lack of air conditioning as the room got quite stuffy at night, but with the window open, it wasn't really a problem. The breakfast choice was enormous with something for all tastes. All the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. Those working the breakfast shift were particularly friendly. The underground car park was £15 per night and well worth it for secure parking. The hotel is in a great location with some great restaurants and sights, including the Jorvik Centre only a couple of minutes walk away.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
HiltonYork, Hotel Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 18 August 2009
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your recent stay here at the Hilton York and found the staff to be friendly and helpful.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2009

Just returned from a nite at the hilton. Great location. Parking okish. I dont like strangers moving my car or having the key. When I checked in i was told if they didnt have space under the hotel my car would be driven to another location. I was not happy about this but luckly there was one space left but i still had to leave my keys. Cost £15 for 24hours. Which is loads but it would cost loads more if you parked in the car park across the road from hotel. We didnt eat at the hotel as i guessed cos the breakfast was £20 eat dinner would be pricy. There are so many places to eat in York. The shopsare two minutes walk away. My advice if you are visiting get there early, if not just to park but the traffic into town is heavy.

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I was sorry to learn that you did not feel comfortable with a member of our Concierge team driving your car and I would like to assure you that all of our car park attendants do go through a training programme before being allowed to drive our guest’s cars and are fully insured to drive our guest’s cars.

I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed the location of the hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

The Midlands
Reviewed 8 August 2009

Forget any preconceived Hilton standards at the Hilton York. Having stayed Hiltons in Sweden and Germany this was planned as a one night birtday treat, wished I had not bothered, the location, although near to Cliffords Tower, is also near to a large public car park where colourfulg going-on go on well into the night. The only courteous staff were on reception, the rest have enough attitude to work for a provincial branch of Molton Brown, the choice of menu in the restaurant was limited, and if you had paid for the meal package you had to pick your way through the asterisks to see what was included and what was extra. Breakfast was a rushed and tawdry affair too, not enough space, families in schorts and flip flops slobbing about all over the place.

This was a waste of money, If you want bit of class, AVOID AT ALL COSTS. In fact, scratch York off your list and go to Chester instead!

1 Thank clintonjust

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I was sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us and it is with regret that I learnt that you felt you did not receive good service from our team throughout your stay. Whilst it is highly unusual for me to receive comments of this nature, please rest assured that your comments have been taken onboard and the necessary corrective action, in the form of re-training in the importance of customer care, has been instigated to ensure that such experiences do not reoccur in future.

I understand your reluctance to return to my hotel, however I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Hilton York in the future, when I am certain we can show you that your experience is certainly not reflective of our usually high standards of service.

Yorks
Reviewed 3 August 2009

Have recently returned from an excellent stay at Hilton York. We chose this hotel due to its central location - ideal for meeting up with friends from around the country. Having just read some of the reviews posted, I certainly wonder if they stayed at the same hotel!!
We decided to park in the underground car park - £15 - a little more than I would like to have paid but for convenience it was worth it. Plus it's worth remembering this hotel is very central and it is in a city centre. We were warmly greeted and our car was parked no problem.
Check was quick and efficient and our room was spotlessly clean. We even received a phone call to check everything was ok with our room. The room wasn't the largest we had stayed in but it was just a base. The view wasn't great but was I really going to sit and stare out of the window when I was in one of the most beautiful cities in the country?!
We ate in the American style diner attached to the hotel. This had a more livelier atmosphere and the food was superb and portions were very generous. There was a good range of cocktails.
The highlight of our stay was breakfast , an excellent host - John - greeted us and nothing was too much trouble. The food was fresh and very tasty and there was so much choice.
The staff around the hotel were all friendly and polite. We will definitely be returning, well done Hilton - an excellent hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank BAJunior
HiltonYork, Hotel Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 5 August 2009

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your recent stay here at the Hilton York.

It is always a pleasure to receive such feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely,