“standards below par”
Review of Hilton York

Hilton York
Ranked #38 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 31 August 2009

Just arrived home following a three night stay at the Hilton Hotel in York. We have stayed at this hotel on 6 occasions over the last three years and it is ideally located for all the main attractions in and around York. Sadly I doubt we will be returning to the hotel any time soon due to this weekends experience. We have always been aware that there is limited parking available at this hotel so this is never really an issue for us. You can park on a NCP car park just 5 minutes walk away from the Hotel and it is cheaper to park overnight. Do not bother with the car park immediately infront of the Hotel unless you are prepared to wake up very early in the morning to renew your car parking fee. The clampers and traffic wardens are very keen- it is good sport to eat your breakfast at the hotel and watch through the window as people receive their fines.
We paid for a deluxe bedroom as we always do when we stay here but it would appear that the credit crunch has hit the Hilton or there has been a change in management. The cost of our 3 night stay with BnB was £588. Normally as part of the package you receive a 70cl bottle of wine, bottled water, chocolates, fruit, slippers and dressing gown. This time we were disappointed to be provided with a much smaller bottle of wine, one orange and an apple that was on the turn, no chocolates, no slippers, but gowns were provided but not to keep. We are not certain but our room seemed smaller but we did have a view of Cliffords Tower- which I think must be incorporated into the cost. I must state however that the room was clean and the cleaning staff were polite and greeted us always with a smile.
Breakfast at the Hilton is normally very good and there is plenty on offer. However, on two of the days after confirming with the waiting staff (male) we wanted coffee with our meal it never arrived. On the third day we had to ask again for coffee following orginally requesting coffee on arrival. We believe that there appears to be less staff at the Hilton because previously they have always been very attentive and efficient.
We also feel the need to raise concerns Re the bar area in the evenings and the bar staff on duty. We deceided to go into the bar on our first night at about 10pm and planned to treat ourselves to a cocktail. I am sorry to say that after 9pm it is my belief no children should be in a bar area. We wanted to relax and unwind in peaceful surroundings but unfortunately what was presented before us mirrored that of a creche environment- babies crying and toddlers running around the tables. We were unable to find a clean table (disgarded lolly sticks covered on one of the tables- not good when we had dressed for dinner). We promptly left.
We thought this would be a one off and returned the second evening again about 930pm. Sorry to say yet again young children present but we did manage to grab a clean table. The bar staff seem to be very inexperienced - I requested a vodka martini- you could see the panic on the faces of the two members of young staff when I requested it and I don't think it was due to them thinking I had a Licence to Kill. Initially I was presented with a drink that was full of orange juice which I had to send back, the next drink I was presented with again was not a vodka martini and had to be sent back- do Hilton not train their staff accordingly? My partner received two cocktails that were fine but service was slow and had to drink alone because of my difficulties.
The best is yet to come- given that I was unable to acquire a beverage of any standard I bought a bottle of white wine from the bar and planned to retreat with my partner to our room. We left the bar and took the lift/elevator to the 3rd floor- no danger of breaking through the glass roof like Charlie and Willy Wonka in this contraption as the lift broke down. It appeared we had reached our final destination but the doors did not open. We pressed the buttons for the other floors but the lift did not respond. We pressed the button to open the door but again to no avail. I pressed the alarm bell- but no one responded, I pressed the intercom but no one answered my calls. Very frustrating!! We actually managed to open the doors ourselves and luckily once opened we had stopped at the third floor just appears that the doors had failed but still you expect to receive a response if you sound the alarm.
We will be looking for alternative accommodation next time we return to York which does disappoint but sadly now so does the Hilton.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SamsonlovesDelilah
HiltonYork, Hotel Manager at Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2009

Thank you for your comments on this website.

May I first of all take the opportunity to apologise for the disappointment caused by the poor quality of the club basket you received in your room. Please rest assured that following on from your comments, I will be reviewing all of your points with both my Food Services Manager and Housekeeping Manager, who are ultimately responsible for ensuring that club baskets and bathrobes and slippers are correctly placed in the relevant bedrooms, ready for our guests to check in. Whilst I would not like to make any excuses, I would like to assure you that your experience is certainly not reflective of our normally high standard of service.

For future reference, should you wish to keep the bathrobe, this can be purchased from our Housekeeping Department.

I am sorry that you found your room to be small. Whilst, as I am sure you will appreciate, the size and structure of the building is somewhat out of our control, our deluxe rooms are differentiated by the added extras such as a dressing gown and slippers, along with a front facing room with a view of Clifford’s Tower, an upgraded toiletry package, in room air conditioning and a club basket.

Please rest assured that your comments regarding our bar area have been taken on board.

However, I was pleased to learn that you found the room to be clean and the staff to be polite. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Once again, thank you for your comments. It is through such feedback that we can continue to improve the service that we offer.

I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,034)

Reviewed 27 August 2009

We have stayed here about 5 or 6 times over the last few years, we have a 16 year old son and this is perfect as he can have his own room with an interconnecting door, the staff are always very helpfuland polite. The breakfast is help yourself buffet and is always hot and tasty. The location is spot on for everything, sightseeing and shopping.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank lexi71

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your recent stay here at the Hilton York and found the staff to be helpful and polite.

It is a pleasure to receive such feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 24 August 2009

its,goodish,was very busy and staffing levels seem tight,but all staff were polite and had a knowledge of York.
But we paid less than £50 quid a room a night.
Pay the full price and its too expensive.
15quid park car,
Breakfast was outstanding.

1  Thank 69sunnydee

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your recent stay here at the Hilton York and found the staff to be polite and the breakfast to be outstanding.

Reviewed 22 August 2009

The whole stay at this hotel was disappointing from start to finish. Despite the fact it is advertised as "self parking" you have to leave your car keys with the concierge for the duration of your stay and they will park the car and move it as and when they need to fit more cars in to the car park. And be warned.....it took an hour to get the car back, despite reassurances from the reception staff that it was on its way, it could have driven 50 miles in the time it took to get from the overflow.

The room was expensive for what it was and did not include breakfast, which was not clearly displayed on the website or on the confirmation.

The TV was broken in the room and we had to call maintence in to see to it. It was mended relatively swiftly, but when you are paying the prices that the Hitlon charge you would expect things as basic as the TV to be working.

The shower had absolutely no pressure behind the water.

When we returned to our room around midnight, we could hear loud music clearly from the bar downstairs which continued through until around 1.30am.

However, by far the worst issue was the lack of air conditioning and the ridiculous heat. The room was so hot that it was uncomfortable and whilst a fan was provided, that was too noisy to leave on all night so it was a disturbed night of grabbing a couple of hours, waking up in a sweat, turning the fan on for a while and then off to try and grab a couple more hours.

Woken intermittently by noisy drunken guest shouting in the corridor which granted the hotel can not control but a quick word from the reception as they pass through may not go a miss.

Overall, for location is perfect for exploring York but the hotel is disappointing for the prices charged. The staff were unhelpful and while this may just have been an off day, it needs to book its ideas up to compete as a 4*.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I was sorry to learn that you did not feel comfortable with a member of our Concierge team driving your car and I would like to assure you that all of our car park attendants go through a training programme before being allowed to drive our guest’s cars and are fully insured to drive our guest’s cars.

I was also disappointed to learn of the delay you encountered when collecting your car for departure. Whilst it is highly unusual for me to receive feedback of this nature, please rest assured that I have passed your comments onto my Concierge Manager for review and action.

May I also extend my apologies for the discomfort caused by your room being too hot. Whilst our deluxe rooms do have air conditioning, our standard rooms do not and with our guests comfort in mind, fans are available for rooms with no air conditioning.

Reviewed 9 August 2009

Stayed in the Hilton York with my wife and son for a few days last week. We got a great deal from the Hilton web-site, £51 per night for the room and including full breakfast!!! Better value than a Premier Inn or Travel Lodge. Our room was large with a king size bed and a large single bed, tea/coffee making facilities, TV etc. My only complaint with the room was a lack of air conditioning as the room got quite stuffy at night, but with the window open, it wasn't really a problem. The breakfast choice was enormous with something for all tastes. All the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. Those working the breakfast shift were particularly friendly. The underground car park was £15 per night and well worth it for secure parking. The hotel is in a great location with some great restaurants and sights, including the Jorvik Centre only a couple of minutes walk away.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
HiltonYork, Hotel Manager at Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2009

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your recent stay here at the Hilton York and found the staff to be friendly and helpful.

Reviewed 8 August 2009

Just returned from a nite at the hilton. Great location. Parking okish. I dont like strangers moving my car or having the key. When I checked in i was told if they didnt have space under the hotel my car would be driven to another location. I was not happy about this but luckly there was one space left but i still had to leave my keys. Cost £15 for 24hours. Which is loads but it would cost loads more if you parked in the car park across the road from hotel. We didnt eat at the hotel as i guessed cos the breakfast was £20 eat dinner would be pricy. There are so many places to eat in York. The shopsare two minutes walk away. My advice if you are visiting get there early, if not just to park but the traffic into town is heavy.

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I was sorry to learn that you did not feel comfortable with a member of our Concierge team driving your car and I would like to assure you that all of our car park attendants do go through a training programme before being allowed to drive our guest’s cars and are fully insured to drive our guest’s cars.

I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed the location of the hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Reviewed 8 August 2009

Forget any preconceived Hilton standards at the Hilton York. Having stayed Hiltons in Sweden and Germany this was planned as a one night birtday treat, wished I had not bothered, the location, although near to Cliffords Tower, is also near to a large public car park where colourfulg going-on go on well into the night. The only courteous staff were on reception, the rest have enough attitude to work for a provincial branch of Molton Brown, the choice of menu in the restaurant was limited, and if you had paid for the meal package you had to pick your way through the asterisks to see what was included and what was extra. Breakfast was a rushed and tawdry affair too, not enough space, families in schorts and flip flops slobbing about all over the place.

This was a waste of money, If you want bit of class, AVOID AT ALL COSTS. In fact, scratch York off your list and go to Chester instead!

1  Thank clintonjust

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I was sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us and it is with regret that I learnt that you felt you did not receive good service from our team throughout your stay. Whilst it is highly unusual for me to receive comments of this nature, please rest assured that your comments have been taken onboard and the necessary corrective action, in the form of re-training in the importance of customer care, has been instigated to ensure that such experiences do not reoccur in future.

I understand your reluctance to return to my hotel, however I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Hilton York in the future, when I am certain we can show you that your experience is certainly not reflective of our usually high standards of service.