“What a disappointment”

Ranked #39 of 46 Hotels in York
Pinner
“What a disappointment”
Reviewed 2 November 2009

Check in was relatively straight forward and our room was clean, tidy as you would expect from a Hilton. The bed, pillows were very comfortable. The bathroom was good. The trouble began when I tried to iron my partner's shirt for our meal out (having experienced Hilton dining before we always eat out in the evenings.) The ironing board was wobbly which made the job quite challenging but the iron should not have been in the room let alone the hotel due to the flex being worn in several places. After a very good night's sleep we ventured down to breakfast...what a mistake. The Hilton breakfast is renown and ours certainly was. The sausages were not cooked properly and cold, the bacon was cold as were the hash browns, the scrambled egg was "warm". We asked for 2 teas and got 1 tea and 1 coffee which got changed but he blamed his colleague for getting the order wrong (not good). We were not offered a top up of tea. I completed the comment card and handed it into Reception together with the iron when we checked out. When asked if we enjoyed our stay I said no and the Receptionist gave me a flithy look and gave a brief explanation of what was written on the card. I would not recommend this hotel for food but the bed was comfortable.

1 Thank SuesPinner
HiltonYork, Hotel Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 23 November 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I was sorry to read that you were disappointed in the standard of breakfast and iron and ironing board in your room. Please rest assured that your comments have been taken onboard and communicated to my team for action and review.

On a brighter note, I was delighted to note that you found the bed to be comfortable and the room to be nice.

Once again, thank you for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2009

Just returned from a two night stay at the Hilton to celebrate my 30th birthday. Our room was upgraded and reception also sent fruit, wine, water and a card to our room to say happy birthday! Hotel staff were very helpful and breakfast was brilliant. The beds were very comfy as were the pillows, I was even tempted to bring one home! Hotel very central to all attractions. Would defo return!

1 Thank Helena N
HiltonYork, Hotel Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 30 October 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your recent celebratory stay with us and found the staff to be helpful and the breakfast to be brilliant.

It is always a pleasure to receive such feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Bondi, Australia
Reviewed 25 October 2009

We booked here well in advance and managed to get a very good rate for a double double room. For an additional GBP20 , we also bought the dinner and breakfast package, which we found extremely good value. the breakfast was standard Hilton, which was enormous and included black pudding and Haggis for thos inclined to try it. A bit mass produced, but fine for us. The dinner was a 3 course set menu, which was also extremely good value, although no Michelin chef's hat, was still very presentable and reasonably tasty.
The Hotel itself is not waht we're used to in Austrlia for a hiltin, and I would rate it at around 3 1/2 to 4 star.
Rooms were not huge for a Hilton, so for an overnight stop, with 4 large cases from travelling further afield, we had to cram the cases in the room.
Parking was very expensive, but once you're inside York's walls, you don't have much iof an option, so to find free parking, you'd need to walk about 10-15 minutes.
Hotel location was fabulous. Opposite clifford tower and near the main shpping street and all the museums, the shambles and a 5 minute walk to the Minster.
The staff tried to be halpful, but were a bit busy, so i guess could use a few more staff. Plenty of brochures available at reception and we did a great night walk ghost tour.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive comments on this website.

I am sorry you found the rooms to be small. Whilst we are somewhat limited by the size and structure of our building, our recent refurbishment programme has allowed us to maximize our space with slim line furniture and contemporary, calming décor and soft furnishings. This has been well received by the majority of our guests. I regret that this was not to your liking.

However, I was pleased to note that you found the staff to be helpful and the location to be fabulous.

It is always a pleasure to receive such feedback and I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed 23 October 2009

I stayed at the Hilton York recently. For a business class hotel, I would class it as fairly average - neither great nor terrible.

Location - near to city centre. The hotel is opposite Clifford's Tower, and all the main tourist sights are at most 10-15 minutes walk away.

Rooms - I had one at the front overlooking the Tower. It was a reasonable size, bright, and the decor was pretty fresh. My wife noticed a few corners that needed dusting. The bathroom was small (and smelled slightly when we came in, but that quickly went away). Bed was a decent size, and comfortable.

Facilities - we didn't eat in the restaurant., except for breakfast. The choice was fine, but it seemed pretty crowded, and the tables were set out almost to the front of the buffet. Lots of places around if you want to eat out at night. We had dinner twice in a smallish place just across the road called 31 Castlegate - not cheap, but good quality and nice staff.

There wasn't much lounge space if you just wanted to sit - almost all of the seating was part of the bar, or the restaurant.

No gym, no pool.

Staff - varied from so so to good. No one was rude to us, or anything like it, and some of the staff were really friendly and helpful. Some of the others had a habit of ignoring guests who were waiting if they were busy themselves. Understandable, but doesn't give a good impression.

Others - car parking is a pain. As others have said, it's 15 pounds a day to use the hotel's underground car park, and you have to leave your keys with reception. We used the public car park across the road overnight (2 pounds from 6pm to 8am), overpaid another 2 pounds when buying the overnight ticket (which gave us until 9am), and then moved the car to another park near the railway museum. It's 6 pounds for all day there - the one across from the hotel is 2 pounds per hour during the day.

Noise. The rooms at the front at least are prone to street noise. I was woken up every night between 2 and 3am by people outside the hotel. However, I don't fault the hotel for that - it's near a busy city centre, and that's what happens.

All in all, the Hilton York didn't really do anything terribly badly, in my eyes. It just didn't do much terribly well. The room was comfortable for sleeping in, but the lack of facilities, lack of lounge space, and expensive parking, meant that I felt obliged to go out and look around the city. No great hardship, when it's a place as lovely as York, but I would have liked to have had the choice.

I would stay again if I got a sensible room rate - the published ones are utterly ridiculous - but I would regard it as a base to go out from, not a place to relax in.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on this website.

I was sorry to learn that you found the breakfast area to be crowded and for any inconvenience this caused you. Please rest assured that I have communicated your comments to my Restaurant Manager for review and resolution.

I regret that you found the bathroom to be small. Whilst we are somewhat limited by the size and structure of our building, we do endeavour to ensure that our guests are comfortable at all times.

However, I was pleased to note that you found the room to be comfortable.

manchester
Reviewed 21 October 2009

we stayed at the hilton for a two night stay the hotel was wonderful great location staff were extremely helpful great room we stayed in the double suite it was amazing would definately recommend to anyone york itself was great

Thank you for your positive feedback on this website.

I was delighted to learn that you found the hotel to be wonderful and the suite to be amazing.

England
Reviewed 11 October 2009

A very decent hotel in a fantastc location with too much emphasis on everything but the rooms. The rooms are pleasant, bright and minimalist but they are no way in the league of a so-called top class luxury hotel. They are a little better than some of the better Holiday Inn Expresses I have stayed in. Hilton hotels in the UK I have found, are average. Go to the continent and they are excuisite (e.g. Prague & Munich). Bathrooms are cramped and 'plasticy' with feeble shower pressure and dusty corners. Comfortable beds, tea and coffee facilities, nice large flat screen TV and a satisfactory range of storage options. There is obviously a fair emphasis on corporate hospitality and creating a good impression here. The entrance and lobby are impressive, the bar and dinning area very well presented along with the meeting rooms, corridors and other communal areas. Externally, the hotel is nothing special to look at, but the location right opposite Clifford's Tower is perfect for all angles on York. At £189 a night, the price was crazy (race weekend had something to do with it perhaps) but luckily there were 4 of us in a room crashing out on a stag night so the financial hit was wholly acceptable. I would never dream of paying this kind of rate for any hotel anywhere and if I did it would have to be out of this world. I would be more than happy paying something like £69 a night for this hotel. In summary, a pleasant stay at a perfectly located and functional hotel with all the trimmings there if required.

• Stayed October 2009
2 Thank minky35

Thank you for your positive feedback on this website.

I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the hotel to be well presented and the rooms to be pleasant.

I would like to take this opportunity to confirm to you that our rates are based on demand.

sheffield
Reviewed 9 October 2009

I booked this through Last minute.com. When I booked it I didnt know it was going to be the Hilton because it was one of the "secret hotels". I was well chuffed. When we arived the guys in the car park, parked my car for me, nice touch. We checked in ok. The room was smaller than I was expecting, but it was adequate, clean and quiet. We went to the races in York, where I had a nice win on the first race, which covered the cost of the hotel and our evening meal in York that night. Breakfast was the usual Hilton fair, lots of it, and all good stuff. This is just a nice hotel, nothing special, very central and if you can book it through last minute.com, then go for it.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your positive feedback on this website.

I was delighted to learn that you found the room to be clean and the hotel to be nice.