“Good room and lovely breakfast”

Best Western Kilima Hotel
Ranked #17 of 46 Hotels in York
east sussex
“Good room and lovely breakfast”
Reviewed 19 March 2012

We booked this with a Superbreak deal and would have preferred something a bit nearer the City Centre but with a regular bus service outside the hotel so it was fine. The room was clean with a good shower but above the kitchen and next to the stairs made it a bit noisy.
All in all OK and friendly staff and a cracking breakfast!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Just back from a 2 night stay at the kilima in York. Booked this hotel through super break and received a good deal including train travel. On arrival we met Chris who checked us in efficiently and was extremely friendly and helpful. This was great since the station taxi driver was not very friendly. Chris gave us lots of helpful info about the hotel and even upgraded us to a bigger room which we didn't even ask for! The room was clean and spacious and ideal for our two night stay. If I had to make any constructive criticism then I would say that our pillows could have been softer however I'm sure that if we had complained then they would have been changed without a problem. Breakfast both days was great and served very quick and hot. I would definately recommend the croissant with cheese and bacon! The full English breakfast was also very good and not greasy. The hotel also has a swimming pool which we used each day. The leisure club was very clean and we had all the facilities to ourselves both days. Would definately recommend this hotel to others. Super 3 star.

• Stayed March 2012
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2012

my husband and i stayed at this hotel it is more 2star than 3.the staff were very nice especially
the manager. our room was ok apart from a brown stain on the mattress and the bathroom floor was dirty in the corners the pipes were very dusty. york was great during the day but at night full of very drunken hen and stag parties.

Room Tip: room on first floor at the side
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We stayed at Kilima Hotel for 3 nights. The staff were friendly, the service was excellent and the hotel was well maintained. We used the pool and it was lovely. The breakast was very good and there was plenty to choose from. It is located a short bus trip or 15 minute walk to the Centre of York. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to visit York

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carla O
Kilima_11, Director of Sales at Best Western Kilima Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
Thank you so much for your kind comments about the hotel. We are pleased to have been of service and hope that you will return again soon. Thanks again, the Kilima team.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Location is ok. 10 minute walk to city. walk from car park to hotel was harder. reception was ok. polite man was welcoming and helpful. it has a swimming pool. no opportunity to buy trunks. Missing a trick here. anyway. Rooms. oh sweet -------- what is that smell? It smells of zoo urine. maybe elephant wee. it smells dreadful. before you accept your room check before agreeing to stay.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Ekim O
IreneCossins, General Manager at Best Western Kilima Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2012
Please remove your review, we do not have a pool and this is clearly for another Hotel. But I guess this demonstrates the ability for anyone to post comments about your business.
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I chose this hotel as it is part of the Best Western group and having stayed in the Pavillion on Fulford Road 2 weeks previous, I was interested to know how this compared.
Firstly it is on the a59 Holgate Road into York which is a particularly busy road at most times, a difficult get out so be prepared to wait (walking is better, its only 10mins)
On arrival I was surprised at how small the hotel appeared but it had a very good sized car park which is great to get in York, normally my car is wedged in tiny spaces and I worry it will be damaged so this was very welcome!
The enterance to the hotel is very nice and I was greeted very warmly and professionally.
I was taken up to my room and given a tour on the way which was very helpful.
My room was very nice and had lots of space especially for a single traveller.
All I would say is there is a lot going on decoration wise, with the curtains, wallpaper, carpet and bedspread all being different patterns it all clashed a bit, but a very minor point!
The bathroom was a very good size and had a bath which is unusual for York. Shower was powerful and plenty hot water. Most importantly it was all immaculately clean.
I took a trip down to the leisure facilities which were very nice, the changing rooms and pool are spotless and I had them to myself. I wasn't a fan of the steam room, I find them a bit unhygenic with water dripping from the walls and ceiling and sitting in puddles on the seats but each to their own!
What I liked most about this hotel was they had listened to my requests. Before arrival I had asked for a quiet room as the one in the Best Western Pavillion had been very noisy due to a staff room door. When you get a good deal it seems compulsory to get a noisy room! So when I realised my room was next to a fire exit I wasn't too impressed thinking it would be used for staff smoking etc but was pleasantly surprised to find that I put in this room as it was at the very end of the corridor so nobody passed by and I had a really good nights sleep. Much appreciated on business trips and long days of travel.
I didnt get to have breakfast so can't comment, but the hotel is kept beautifully clean and there's attention to detail in the decoration.
I wouldn't hesitate for a second in recommending this hotel, I'll be using again should a great deal that I had come up again!

• Stayed February 2012
Gardner, Kansas
Reviewed 5 March 2012

My fiance and I enjoyed this hotel despite the fact that it was a good walk from the train station and to city center (20-25 minutes if you walk briskly). The breakfast was very tasty and the room very clean. The only downside to our room on the second floor near the stairs was the really squeaky floor. We would be back.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple