“Thanks Matt and Chris”

Ranked #20 of 47 Hotels in York
Kettering, United Kingdom
“Thanks Matt and Chris”
Reviewed 19 May 2013

we only booked a one night stay spare of the moment. on arrival we were met by Matt at reception very happy to help showed us to our room,and advised us of the local shops pubs and life in york.
we stayed at this hotel for our main meal that evening and were served by Chris again very happy to help and with friendly converstation to make us feel comfortable. Our meals were to die for especially the steak and chicken dishes.
our room was comfortable and had all we required for our nights stay we overlooked the car park at the back, this was a very quiet room and we were very happy.
we would stay again,
Chris and Matt thanks boys.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Derby
Reviewed 17 May 2013

The staff here are some of the nicest I have encountered... really excellent.
The hotel is clean, and in a quiet location.
However the rooms are old fashioned, as are the bathrooms and in general need of some TLC - very old bed in my room which groaned every time I moved.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
EDINBURGH
Reviewed 6 May 2013

I feel really bad for writing this. Firstly I want everyone to know that the staff in this hotel are fabulous, couldn't do enough for you and basically really friendly. I stay in the York/ Leeds area a few nights each month for work. This hotel is clean and really there is nothing wrong with it, it just wasn't for me. It was very dated and twee which is great if you like that sort of thing and unfortunately I'm really not a fan. Its the chinz curtains, bedspreads and patterned carpets too much in all the areas. This hotel does have a car park which was one of the reasons I decided to stay here, and that was great, right behind the hotel.

Can really comment on breakfast as all I had was cereal and toast. What I will say is that I wouldn't stay here again because you have to bear in mind that they don't actually start serving breakfast until 0730hrs and by about 0715hrs people are hanging about waiting on it opening. This wasn't convenient for me as I have to be in work for 0800hrs so it was a bit of a mad rush, just a suggestion, but serving breakfast from 0700hrs would probably make a big difference.

Don't let this put you off as I said its worth a chance, especially if you are getting a good price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room to the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2013

very friendly staff always on hand, i have stayed there for the best part of 6 months usally 3 or 4 nights a week. the chef is willing to cater outside the menu if pre arranged and the food is usually top notch, a bit pricey, but thats York for you. there is a small gym, if you must exercise, i found the pool and steam room more to my liking, ideal for relaxing the trials of the day away before dining. the one negative i have is the showers, not a problem if your a bath person, not a lot of power and a little tempermental. All in all a very welcoming hotel with good facilities close to the town centre, free parking and free wi-fi unlike some hotels that want to charge £10 per day. will be back there soon

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2013

We normally use another hotel chain but this was a good price via a discount booking site (£99 instead of the usual £172) and the reviews and photographs looked good. The double room was quite small and felt cramped for two, probably around a half to 2/3rds the size of a what we are used to with one small wardrobe, a desk, two chairs and a small bathroom with nowhere to hang a robe or clothing. Not the kind of room the photographs seemed to suggest was typical. Two of the lights didn't work and the mattress felt lumpy and "tired". The hotel is reasonably well kept but strangely, there was throughout our stay a pair of trainers in a carrier bag half stuffed under a cabinet on the landing, opposite the case containing the stuffed fox and bird, an unnecessary and slightly gruesome relic from the hotel's former use as a rectory perhaps! Breakfast was included and was fairly good as was the attentive and friendly service from the staff but if I had paid full price for this hotel I would have felt very disappointed. Our usual chain offers a known and usually very satisfactory standard of accommodation and extremely comfy beds, all with a money back guarantee and for up to around half of the Kilima's full rate. This was my first stay at a Best Western and I wanted to be delighted but whilst my review conflicts with many of the reviews on here, it does reflect my findings. Whether the fact that I booked via a discount site secured us a smaller room than is typical in this hotel I don't know but next time I stay somewhere I see no reason personally to any more look beyond my usual brand of hostelry.

Room Tip: Ring Chris and book direct. He's very helpful and that way one can discuss the room beforehand.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Littleborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2013

My wife and I stayed for the weekend in April 2013, we normally stay in another hotel when in York but fancied a change. The staff are some of the best and most welcoming we have met. We thank you. Unfortunately after that it all goes down hill. The room was good but as it was above the pool it was never comfortable always felt stuffy. The breakfast left a lot to be desired, very heavy on the stomach all day. The bar reminded me of an old NAAFI when I was in the RAF. OK if you are with a few mates on a drinking session, but definitely not comfortable or suitable for a night out with your loved one. The pool and steam bath was nice and clean. I feel a bit mean sending this review due to the fine staff, but there are far better hotels in York and not as expensive.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BonnieandClyde86
geordie land
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Excellent welcome from Chris and Sammy, large room, very comfortable, food generous if a little expensive, really appreciated the secure, free parking so close to the city centre ( approx 20 mins walk) and the swimming pool, will return soon

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple