“Ring ahead to make sure you don't get room 15!”

Best Western Kilima Hotel
Ranked #17 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Stayed in a standard double for two nights in late January 2014. Booked through Expedia at about £104/night. The hotel is just outside of the city centre (about 15 minutes' walk to York Minster or the National Railway Museum) but has free car parking.

This hotel appeared to be a large townhouse with an extension on the back of it. Our room was on the ground floor at the front that faced onto the main road; traffic noise was not really an issue. What was a problem was the ceiling in the bathroom (see attached photo). I am 6' and could not stand up properly to have a shower. This meant having to lean, bend and endure a few collisions with the sloping ceiling. We felt the situation was unacceptable. I complained to the front desk but the girl on reception said she could not move us to another room as the hotel was fully booked for the weekend. She suggested, although not ideal, that we could use the showers in the pool area. Now for over £100/night I don't expect to have to use alternative facilities. We could also hear the footsteps of people walking around upstairs, which was rather instrusive, but for an old house I do not imagine the noise inulsation between the floors is that great. Note this room did not have A/C. Other than that the bed was comfortable and the room was clean.

The breakfast was average. I found it quite antiquated that it was fully waiter serviced but this is not necessarily a criticism. On both mornings I had the full English but asked for certain items to be taken out but there was no offer of an extra piece of bacon or a sausage; perhaps if you don't ask, you don't get!

I cannot comment on the pool or gym as we did not have time to use them.

The staff were friendly and welcoming.

I complained to Best Western Customer Services and the response I got was that: a) we could have used the showers in the pool; and, b) that the hotel manager, Chris, could offer a preferential discount if we stayed there again. All credit to Chris as he did attempt to contact me on a number of occasions but I was away at the time. However, I replied back to Best Western and felt the offer of a discount at that hotel was unusual; I mean why would I want to go back knowing there would be a chance of being put in the same room?! Best Western assured me there would be no chance of a similar situation recurring and that they could not offer compensation/a discount on another of their hotels as each one is independently owned. I was reassured to hear that booking through Expedia had no bearing on whcih room we got, and, in addition, apparently it's only room 15 with the limited headroom bathroom.

My advice, ring ahead if you want to stay at this hotel. I think I might be taking my own advice in the future too.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tillyhorn

Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Hotel exterior could do with smartening up. Gives a poor first impression. Flower planters with dead flowers etc. Inside is nice and clean and tidy. Friendly staff. Rooms are clean and spacious. Not so much storage though and the bathrooms could be updated, although they're clean and nothing was falling to bits.

Food in the restaurant was decent, service could have been better and it's expensive for the quality.

Breakfast was much better, generous and well prepared.

The fitness room is clean and there's one of everything you might expect. A treadmill, stepper, bike, rower, abs rocker and free weights bench. Hotter than the devils armpit in there though so take water.

Hotel is situated within 15 minutes walk of the city centre making it really accessible. A short walk in the other direction leads you to a historic windmill and lovely park to spend time in so location is great.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank StillHarpingOn
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Just back from spending a couple of days in York. The Kilima Hotel was ideal. Great location, fantastic food, comfortable rooms and very friendly staff. We also enjoyed a dip in the pool after a long day sightseeing.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
2  Thank Jacquimm
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Very cosy traditional hotel, lovely pool facilities, food absolutely delicious although a little pricey, room clean and warm but bathroom a bit outdated, overall a lovely hotel with friendly, efficient staff, would visit again!

2  Thank becca12322
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Pros

- Very friendly staff (couldn't fault them).
- Spacious room.
- Clean and tidy.
- Comfortable.
- Plenty of parking.
- Good food (nice tasting. Cooked breakfast was one of the nicest I've had in a hotel).
- Nice pool and steam room.
- Just within walking distance of the city centre (working on the principal you are reasonably fit... ish).
- Generally an overall pleasant experience.

Cons

- Food was overpriced for what it was.
- Eton Mess was not what I thought it would be, e.g. Eton Mess! It had no berry based items in it :-(
- The hotel was showing its age and needs a degree of modernising.
- The shower was not ideal. It was cramped and dribbly.
- Creaky floor boards.
- Although generally quiet you could hear clearly what was going on in the reception area whilst sat in your hotel room (our room was very near to the reception).

If I was in that neck of the woods again I would stay at that hotel. I would also recommend it to others.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ASE01
Reviewed 14 February 2014

First time we stay in the best western Kilima hotel. staff was friendly, the room was very clean and quiet no (25),the breakfast was good, we will go back again. Thank you to all the staff for looking after us xx

Room Tip: We where in room 25 and it was a quiet room