“Long weekend in York”

Ranked #20 of 47 Hotels in York
Stirling, United Kingdom
“Long weekend in York”
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Staff are very friendly and extremely helpful.We liked the fact breakfast is served to you and not the usual cattle market buffet breakfast.Bedroom was comfortable but decor a wee bit dated probably needs updated.On the downside bathroom needs revamped as bath panel broken and sealant around bath/toilet mouldy and breaking away.
Only 10 mins walk to town centre so ideal base and parking is included

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
KILIMA, Manager at Best Western Kilima Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Honeythief1690,

Thank you for your review and please be assured I will correct the points you have raised.
On a plus I am please to see you had a lovely weekend and do agree with you that to have your order taken at the table is a much better way to enjoy Breakfast.
I would be very interested if you had the time to drop me an email as to the parts you think need updating in the rooms. I am not that good when it comes to interior design and lets face it the most important person is the customer who will use the room. By the end of this week all rooms that will take a King bed will have one so we have started the journey.
I do look forward to welcoming you back to the Kilima some day.

Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

The hotel is very nice, rooms are clean and tidy, and staff is friendly and helpful. I didn't realise our double room had a lounge room, with sofa, table and TV, as well, and that was a pleasant surprise. It's nice to relax with some coffee and snacks after walking around York all day - and not to sit on the bed for that. The pool was also a nice plus. We had it all to ourselves in the afternoon. The pool and the changing rooms were also clean and tidy. It's within a walking distance to the city centre, which is handy, because driving and parking in York centre is near impossible. All around - lovely place, when you want to have a clean and comfortable stay, but don't want to succumb to all-too-familar Premier Inn again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
KILIMA, Manager at Best Western Kilima Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear Anastasia H,

Thank you for your kind review.
I agree with you that a swim in a quiet pool is a real plus when you have been out all day. That is the reason we only do a small membership to the leisure club so that you can enjoy your precious time.
I am pleased you enjoyed the extra space in your room. I find that room one of the best rooms we have especially for those with three children. The separate room for the children really is bonus, as it has no exit without going passed your bed and is just as good when set as a sitting room.
I hope to see you again when you next come to York.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

weve just stayed here for 4 nights to celebrate our 30th annv,we chose this as it has a pool which we made use of and was very nice to have,i would say though it is quite an exspensive hotel (we are frequent travellers) our room was nice and spacious,staff friendly and polite,we did think though that they could do with more staff on duty at certain times,it seems whoever is on the reception is expected to do a number of duties,e.g check people in, run bar etc etc,we had room 22 at the side/back of hotel it is very hot in there,but we made very good use of the fan!!we did say about it but apparently its the insulation.we had a very peaceful stay,maybe the cleaners could be a little quieter when people want an afternoon nap!! we walked up to the city a number of times and we only ambled up and it took a max 15mins,some nice restaurants nearby Delrio's our favourite.my only comment on room would be bathroom very tired and should really be perfect for the price charged,but everything else ok.

Room Tip: room 22 spacious but hot!! but fan provided in room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
KILIMA, Manager at Best Western Kilima Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Diane L,

Thank you for the review you have done.
I was please to see you had enjoyed your stay and found the room to be
Spacious, clean and well presented. I see that the fan provided was put too good use and that you enjoyed our beautiful city of York.
I look forward to your next visit so just give me a call when you want to come again.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed a here for a few nights over Easter and thoroughly enjoyed it. The hotel has a good sized swimming pool and served a lovely cooked breakfast in a very atmospheric restaurant down in the cellar. It is situated about a 20 minutes walk away from central York. The room we had was a family room of good size, clean and comfortable with the usual extras including a trouser press is you are that way inclined! (I'm not) Staff were very friendly and attentive. Would definitely go back to this hote again.

Room Tip: We had a room to the side of the hotel which was fine.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Madeline090,

Thank you for your comments on the hotel.
I am glad you had a great time and do hope to see you again soon.

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night and that was long enough ...good points !! Fast wifi ....
This place is way overrated on tripadvisor ,would maybe recommend it to the over 70s.no kick on the bedroom door just a latch that allowed the door to open a few inches ? ,bedroom was filthy ,, boiled sweets under the bed and stuck to the bed frame .stop here just don't go ...

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Gibson A
KILIMA, Manager at Best Western Kilima Hotel, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Dear Mr Gibson,
I am very sorry that on this occasion we fell below our normal high standards.
I have used your feedback to avoid the same problems for future guests
It is regrettable that you did not inform us of your dissatisfaction at the time of your visit giving us a chance to put things right.
Sammy who checked you out was surprised at your response, as you had told her you had a great time in York

Devizes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Normally stay in 4 star hotels the Kilima is nor does it claim to be 4 star, it is a comfortable clean hotel with all the needs of a traveller and more. The customer care ranks as good or better
than most hotels I have stayed in and the restaurant serves home prepared food that could compete with the best restaurants around. It get my recommendation and I look forward to my next stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Roger D
Thank you so much for your review.
I am quite over whelmed by what you had to say as specially as you stay in hotels a lot.
I look forward to welcoming you back some day.

Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 16 May 2014

The hotel is a 30 minute walk from the old center of York and is on a busy road so ask for a room at the back if you can. The hotel claims that the walk to town is 15 minutes which is not true.

The front of the hotel is uninspiring but inside you will find a spacious hotel housed in a 19th century Victorian Rectory. There is even a nice swimming pool inside!

The room was nice and comfortable with a big bed, desk, coffee/tea making facilities and a flat screen TV. The bathroom had a tub with a shower and was a bit smallish due to the low ceiling.

Free Wi-Fi internet worked well

Breakfast was just the standard fair with a very small buffet with cereals and juices. A cooked breakfast is made to order.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear Seimenbarum
Thank you so much for your review.
I have taken on the points you have raised and will look into how I can improve them for future guests.
To that end I have changed the wording on this site for the trip into York.
I am a brisk walker and do walk to the centre of York in 15 minutes but for those less able the bus goes from outside the hotel every 10-15 minutes. A taxi fare is around £5.00.