“Overall a good stay”

Best Western Kilima Hotel
Ranked #15 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We stayed here for two nights when we visited York for pleasure. Overall this hotel is in keeping with its 3 star rating. Our room (22) was clean, tidy and more than adequate. However if you are already a warm person then this room is not for you. I think it is over the swimming pool and it is therefore very warm. I coped but I am always cold but my husband struggled to sleep through the night even with the fan on. A brill room for the winter months. The swimming pool is fine and the time we used it we were the only ones which was nice. We only ate breakfast and I got the thumbs up from my husband who had the full English. I was a little disappointed in the bread selection I received, it tasted and felt like it had come from the freezer. But again overall the food was good. The bar and restaurant area needs an update it's very dark and to be honest we didn't eat dinner there for that reason as it wasn't very inviting. Staff were very friendly and made us feel very welcome. If parking your car on site is important then this hotel ticked the box. Car park behind hotel is more than adequate. The walk to York is a bit if a drag on your way home after a couple of beers but the walk there is fine. So plan your day to end up in a local closer to home. Now the test question. Would I stay again? The answer is Yes.

Room Tip: Room 22 is warm
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Superdi
KILIMA, Manager at Best Western Kilima Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Dear Superdi,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.
It has been unusually hot and clammy for the time of year and I think it is the same for everyone at the moment very warm.
I am pleased to see that you made good use of the swimming pool it is a real bonus to be able to cool off after a busy day in York and really sets you up for the night ahead.
I look forward to your phone call for your next visit.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Kilima Hotel

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Having stayed at the Kilima last year on business I booked a couple of rooms for a weekend away with friends. We arrived late Friday night and were shown to our rooms which were 18 and 23. Both rooms were good and clean and there were no causes for complaint for the two nights we were there. Breakfast is good, well cooked and plenty of. We ate dinner in the restaurant and that was, again of good quality and well presented etc... Not a bad wine list either. The manager keeps a good ship here and the staff were good and friendly.

If you are looking for brand-new, smoked glass, brushed aluminium and a gimme-getme operation don't stay at the Kilima. The hotel is a fairly old building and has a nice mellow atmosphere. We will return... Oh and we left some stuff in our room. Contacted them a couple of days later and they posted on the items. Great service, thanks. We will stay again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Zarneywoop
KILIMA, Manager at Best Western Kilima Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear Zarneywoop,

Thank you for your kind comments.
It is always nice to have people back who have stayed before and even better to hear that you will be back again.
I was also please that you felt confident enough in our product to bring friends with you this time.
I do agree with you that the Chefs are doing a good job and the breakfast menu gets better all the time we have just put some new special dishes on it.
I look forward to your phone call for your next visit and hope that you have a nice summer.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Stayed here for one night and it was lovely, staff very friendly and helpful, the room was clean and the bed was very comfortable after a few drinks in York. The pool was clean and warm. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
KILIMA, Manager at Best Western Kilima Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear 1984Claire,

I am so please you and your boyfriend had a great time both in York and at the hotel.
Thank you for the comment about the new beds it is nice to get feedback after changing them.
I look forward to seeing you both again so the next time you book please give me a call and let me know you are coming.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Fantastic hotel. Great location. If you need to unwind and be close to York City Center this is the place to stay. I felt as though i was at home here. All the staff were very friendly. Excellent meals in the restaurant.
I cant wait to go again.10 out of 10.
Next time i will pre book the meal option.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Dear Robert B

Thank you for your kind comments on the hotel.
I am please you enjoyed your meals with us and we have put a new menu in for your next visit.
Once again thank you for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights when going to York racing. Staff have got the customer service piece down to a tee - excellent in every way - helpful, courteous and polite. Location was perfect for the racing and the centre was only a little walk away. Breakfast was very good - cooked to order, and a bit of a choice. As per the previous reviews it could do with a bit of updating and redecoration but they were clean and amenities were in working order.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
KILIMA, Manager at Best Western Kilima Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Robert F

I am please to see you enjoyed your stay with us.
I cannot remember but I hope you got a few winners at the races.
I do hope you can come again and enjoy not only the racing but also the other excellent activities York has to offer.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Rooms small, noise from other rooms and car par traffic excessive, ventilation fan in bathroom really noisy so you daren't turn the light on during the night if you used the bathroom as it operated the fan which continued to run for 10 minutes after you turned the light out! The bar only sold draught bitter and had constantly ran out of Lager, the staff were good, Location for tourism is good, I just found it just a bit out dated, cramped and noisy

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Trevorwalsh

I am sorry you did not fully enjoy your stay with us.
As your company only pay for a standard room please feel free to call me on your next visit and for a small supplement to you I would be delighted to upgrade you.
I am sorry that we ran out of draught larger it was a particularly busy week but it is not something I can run to the local shop for we did have the bottled alternative.
As for the fan in a bathroom this is a legal requirement when you have no window but I will check to see if it is excessively noisy.
I do hope you will visit us again but please give me a call and let me know you are coming.

Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Staff are very friendly and extremely helpful.We liked the fact breakfast is served to you and not the usual cattle market buffet breakfast.Bedroom was comfortable but decor a wee bit dated probably needs updated.On the downside bathroom needs revamped as bath panel broken and sealant around bath/toilet mouldy and breaking away.
Only 10 mins walk to town centre so ideal base and parking is included

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
KILIMA, Manager at Best Western Kilima Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Honeythief1690,

Thank you for your review and please be assured I will correct the points you have raised.
On a plus I am please to see you had a lovely weekend and do agree with you that to have your order taken at the table is a much better way to enjoy Breakfast.
I would be very interested if you had the time to drop me an email as to the parts you think need updating in the rooms. I am not that good when it comes to interior design and lets face it the most important person is the customer who will use the room. By the end of this week all rooms that will take a King bed will have one so we have started the journey.
I do look forward to welcoming you back to the Kilima some day.