“Good location for city centre”

Best Western Kilima Hotel
Ranked #20 of 47 Hotels in York
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Good location for city centre”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Stayed here for one night. Nice small friendly hotel with ample parking tucked away at the rear of the hotel. Just a 25 min walk to the centre of the city.
The room we were allocated was at the side of the hotel, it was cosy and the ensuite was a little tired. We did not eat dinner at the hotel as we wanted to see some of York but the menu looked varied and reasonably priced. Breakfast was served in what seemed like a converted cellar, quite dark. Breakfast choice was ample for our needs and was cooked to order. All acceptable and what you would expect for a hotel of this rating.
We did not use the swimming pool due to a lack of time but it looked nice through the window.
The hotel was friendly and well positioned for visiting York.

Room Tip: Room 23 is noisy due to sound from the fans outside. It is also very hot. If I were to visit again...
1 Thank Mossey2014
KILIMA, Manager at Best Western Kilima Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Mossey2014,

Thank you for your review I am pleased you found the location to the city a good one.
It is a shame you did not get time to sample all that we offer but maybe on you next visit you will.
Thank you once again for taking the time to write a review.

Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

We (my husband and I) just returned from a 5 day stay at Kilima and can not praise it highly enough! From the moment we entered to the moment we left the staff were all helpful, friendly & polite. Nothing seemed a trouble for them.
The hotel was spotless, each and every area, dining area, lobby & reception rooms, bedrooms & pool/ changing area.
We stayed in room 22 & the bed was very comfy the bathroom very clean & the tea tray well stocked including sweeteners which my husband who is diabetic often finds lacking. The weather during our stay was scorching & the fan supplied was well used by simply moving a chair nearer the bed & placing the fan onto it.
Due to the weather & the walk back from the city every day, we made good use of the wonderful swimming pool every afternoon. Oh, it was blissful! The pool changing areas and the pool & surrounds itself were spotless.
Breakfast had a lot of choice & was enjoyable. We didn't eat other meals here as we went out to enjoy what York has to offer.
All in all, we would highly recommend The Kilima & certainly will stay here again if in York. Thank you :)

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Susanneofgreengables,

Thank you so much for your review if I were to write an advert for the hotel I could not have done a better job.
As they say we are what we are but try to do the best job we can with the tools at our disposal.
I look forward to your next visit.

Oceanside, California
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Being from America, I read many bad reviews of London hotels, so I was worried about booking in another large city. But this hotel is top notch. Chris (manager) was always on top of everything, morning to night. Clean, quiet room. The hotel is right on the bus line to downtown and the train station. Couldn't find anything to complain about.

Room Tip: I was here in early May, so the room temperature was comfy. Cold and rainy outside though. I was on...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Grumpy2004
Dear Grumpy2004

Thank you for your kind words I hope you had a safe trip back.
If you are ever in York again please look me up.

Yours

liverpool
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Just come back from this hotel after a short weekend break.First the good points
1.It is in a good location for York city centre.About a 20 min walk .
2. Staff were very helpful, polite and couldn't do enough for us.
3.Rooms were nice, spacious,and clean.
4. Beds were very comfortable.
5.The pool was clean as were the changing rooms

And now for the bad

1.Although our room ( room 23) was nice what we didn't know was that it had a extractor/ventilator fan on the outside of the wall which was very noisy and kept myself and my husband up all night .It was also a very warm night so we also couldn't open the window because of the noise although there was a electric fan which the hotel provided.We went to the reception desk at 1.30 am to see if we could be moved but having rung the bell at reception twice nobody came to our assistance we also tried the earplugs which they have but they did not help .My husband and I felt that we should of been told about the noise from the extractor/ventilator and given the option of a different room
2.We had our evening meal at the hotel on our first night.First of all my husband asked for a Spanish omelette the waitress came back from he kitchen after taking our order and said " what is a Spanish omelette", now what chief doesn't know what a Spanish omelette is , in the end my husband just had an ordinary omelette, even one of the other guests commented and said that chief should know what a Spanish omelette is, Husband said that the ordinary omelette tasted nice . I ordered the Ploughman's and it was very disappointing, the ham was cheap packet ham and I MEAN the Smart Price type , gherkins and beetroot not presented nice just in a pot .The cut up French stick felt stale . I just felt for the price that proper ham should of been used and it could of been presented more nicely.
3.The bathrooms need making over but are clean
4. We did not notice a gym here although the hotel does have photos of a gym on its website.
5. Nothing to do in the evening time

Room Tip: Avoid room 23 . Also room 21 is over the pool so gets very hot in evening and early hours.
2 Thank hippy23
Dear Hippy23

I am sorry that you did not entirely enjoy your stay with us but am please to see that in some ways you did.
We have gone through a particularly nice hot spell and I do appreciate that opening the windows allows extra noise in that otherwise would not be heard. It is a shame we could not move you on the first night, as the hotel was full. The bell on the desk is for the daytime, which is why we put a phone on the desk at night to call the sleep over manager in case of emergencies.
I have passed your comments regarding the food and menu on to the chef and he is looking into your concerns.
On the subject of a Spanish omelette I think that the chef wanted to know your perception on a Spanish omelette, as a true one will only have Potatoes, Eggs, Parsley and onion in it.
I do hope you will give us another chance in the future and to make any stay with us a pleasurable as possible please call me direct when you are ready to book.

Swansea County, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

stayed for a two night break what a wonderful hotel was a bit worried when i looked on Google earth that the hotel looked dated how wrong i was its so clean and well kept and the staff cant do enough for you the food was good but breakfast is well presented and tasty and quite a lot to chose from My self and my wife have stayed in York a few times wish we had discovered this little gem before the manager was so joyful even when an old lady complain about hot water so to hot and the girls doing the waiting on tables made you feel welcome no matter how buzzy they were I will tell all the people I know where to stay in future

2 Thank macca640
KILIMA, Manager at Best Western Kilima Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Macca640

Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay with us.
On Goole Earth the hotel will look dated as it goes back to 1871 when owned by the Church. We have as you found out done a lot to it since then and are constantly looking at ways to improve. I am glad to hear the staff looked after you it is something we pride ourselves on and in many cases something you don’t find in the larger hotels. I look forward to your next visit and am eagerly awaiting your phone call.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I had a business meeting at this hotel today that lasted 6 hours during which time the fantastic Manager Chris ensured we had a great internet connection, coffee and tea and he even got the breakfast chef to prepare us (excellent) sandwiches for lunch even though the hotel does not normally provide lunches. I stay in a lot of hotels throughout the country but this has got to be the friendliest place I have come across. On top if everything it is in a great location for the station and for York attractions - the city, the racecourse - it has free parking and wifi - absolutely first class! V

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
KILIMA, Manager at Best Western Kilima Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Sharon W

Thank you so much for your kind words it is always nice to get a personal mention in a review.
I have already talked to the proprietor regarding opening up more space for the lounge meetings so watch this space and thank you for the idea.
I look forward to your phone call for your next visit. Until then enjoy the nice weather we are having this year and try not to work to hard.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed for a two night break on our way home from holiday in Northumberland. The hotel is nearly in the centre of York but was easy to find with the sat nav.
Friendly welcome from the staff and our room was very clean.
The beds were very comfortable and all the furniture and fittings were of a very high standard. There was a TV and tea and coffee making facilities in the room.
WiFi was very fast.
Our room was at the side and was a little on the dark side, but that can't be helped but it was also away from the road so nice and quiet.
The en-suite was clean, but is starting to look a bit tired and could do with a bit of a face lift.
There was a good breakfast menu, cereals, juices, toast and a range of cooked options which were well presented. Everything was ordered and brought to the table.
We didn't have time to use the pool, but it looked very inviting. There is also a fitness suite.
Parking is round the back and it is monitored by CCTV.
We left the car at the hotel and walked to the city centre, which took about 20 minutes. There is a bus stop opposite if you don't want to walk. It took about 15 minutes to walk to the national Railway Museum.
We found a large Tesco Superstore on the way out along the A59 about 10 minutes drive, so no problem to fill up with fuel at a good price for the journey home!
We would definitely stay here again when we return to York.

Room Tip: Rooms at the side or back are away from the road so may be quieter than the front.
1 Thank HampshireTraveller46
KILIMA, Manager at Best Western Kilima Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Hampshire Traveller46.

What a review and thank you so much for taking the time to do it.
I think you have covered all angles of what we are all about and given so much information to other travellers.
I thank you as I did suzz97 for commenting on the new beds it was nice to hear.
I am currently looking at what to do with the bathrooms but we are so busy at the moment I need all the rooms I have however the maids do a great job of keeping them clean. I also agree with you that it is such a bonus to leave your car in a secure place while you are away and not have to drive everywhere.
I do hope to see you again soon so give me a call when you are coming.