“A good hotel”

Ranked #18 of 46 Hotels in York
Campinas
“A good hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

This hotel is within 20 minutes walk from the downtown, a bit away, but exercises are good for health :) (one can take a bus if one doesn't want to walk). The room was clean and nice, and the breakfast was really excellent. In the bathroom some things are rather old and need to be repaired, but nothing really dramatic.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
KILIMA, Manager at BEST WESTERN Kilima Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Serge_P

I thank you for your review and as with all the reviews I look carefully at all the comments both good and bad.
I can confirm that we are about to under go a refurbishment of all the bathrooms in the hotel.
I do hope you will come and see us again in the future.

Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

We stayed in this hotel from the 19th until the 23rd august 2014 from start to finish I couldn't fault this hotel apart from the rooms are so hot but this was rectified with a fan in the room, the food was a very high standard and was lovely at every sitting the rooms were clean staff very friendly and we would definitely come back to York if were planning another small break thanks again to all staff Gary and Kirsty

• Stayed August 2014
Dear GarynKirsty

Thank you for your kind review. I was pleased to see that your enjoyed your stay
and more importantly your meals in the restaurant. I know that the rooms can be warm but I think this is the same all over at the moment.
I do hope you don’t leave it to long until your next visit and don’t forget to call me and let me know you are coming.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

We - a family of 4 - made a spur-of-the-moment decision to stay overnight in York and booked two rooms B & B. When touring, we'd normally plump for a modern hotel, whereas the appearance and initial feel of this hotel is very traditional or rather outdated, according to your point of view.

However, it turned out to be a pleasant surprise: The manager was welcoming, enthusiastic and helpful and the staff were cheery and friendly. The breakfast was full service and of a high standard. I enjoyed having my scrambled eggs cooked fresh, even though my children missed the 'all you can eat' approach of a self-service buffet!

The swimming pool is excellent and was a big hit with my 9 year old, though it is certainly large enough for adults to enjoy too.

Free wi-fi is a welcome feature.

Our bedroom had a quaint four-poster, which was a tad narrow and a bit creaky, as were the floorboards, but those were minor niggles which did not detract from an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank HalfDecent92
KILIMA, Manager at BEST WESTERN Kilima Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Halfdecent92,

I am so pleased you had a good stay especially as you had not planned your stay.
I must say it was a pleasure to have your family in the building and I am glad you got to use the facilities we have on offer.
I hope we see you again as I have a couple of lovely family rooms that would be perfect for you. So when you are ready just give me a call.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

I stayed here in may 2014 for a work course. At 1st i wasn't sure what to expect as it was a mile from the center and no one else from work was in this hotel
The directions from their website was easy to find and walking distance with a suitcase

When i arrived i was greeted with a friendly person and made to feel extremely welcome
the room was lovely clean and the bathroom was big enough for me and my tolieties but they supplied them and wasn't cheap ones

the gym and pool was an added value as i came back after travelling refreshed happy and ready for food

the food i can not complain either the service

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Jacq_Taylor1974uk

Thank you for your review I am please to see you had a good stay.
I see you walked from the station personal I am too lazy and would have paid the £5.00 in a taxi or got the bus number 1 or 10.
I was please to see you liked the toiletries in your room I now put extra in reception for those who want a little extra.
Should you want to come on a personal visit just give me a call.

Grimsby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

This is the third time I have stayed at this hotel over the last couple of years and it is still one of my favourites, it is very pleasant, quaint little hotel that has been traditionally decorated with luxurious touches.
The hotel has a swimming pool and steam room, which is great and makes the hotel relatively good value for its location as York is often expensive. Every time I have been it has been quiet and almost always have the pool to ourselves.
The hotel never seems to be majorly busy, which is nice if you are looking for a quiet get away.
The food is also very good, there is a bar/restaurant downstairs that is very nice, and is ideal for a romantic meal.
The location is good, it's not to far to walk into town, but far enough so that it's not noisy.
A taxi from the hotel on the evening only cost around five pound.
I would recommend this hotel for couples, especially the four poster bed room!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
KILIMA, Manager at BEST WESTERN Kilima Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Emma D

I am pleased to see that yet again you had a great time both in York and at the hotel.
I look forward to your next visit so don’t leave it to long.

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Visited this hotel twenty years ago and going back was another great experience of this hotel. Room was very good, bathroom a little small. However it is the food and staff that make this hotel really good. I do not eat breakfast but the choice was superb especially the bagel, cream cheese and smoked salmon!! Evening meal also a great variety to choose from and we enjoyed everything. We will be back, and much sooner than 20 years.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

KILIMA, Manager at BEST WESTERN Kilima Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear Lyn H

Thank you for your review and please, please, please do not leave it another twenty years we want to see you much sooner than that. The one thing that helps us as a small hotel stand out from the rest is the staff. Most of them have been here for a long time, which makes a difference I think. I was pleased to see you enjoyed one of the many breakfast specials we now offer.
I look forward to that phone call for your next visit and thank you for returning after all these years.

Hadleigh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed for three nights which included breakfast and a meal on two nights with free parking. The staff where excellent and very friendly and helpful. The food was very good with large portions and a good choice. The room was comfortable although the bathroom was a bit tired but clean. As mentioned before a fan came in handy as it was very hot. They had thought of everything. There were earplugs on reception, if you needed your window open on the busy road and suncream also was available.

Thank you to Chris and the staff for a very pleasant stay in York.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back. It is quieter.