“IBIS York”
Review of Ibis York Centre

Ibis York Centre
Ranked #39 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Overall good experience and good value for money. Its a good location which was handy. The staff at the reception is very friendly and welcoming. All in all good experience and would like to stay here again in the coming time.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Reecha
-Helen-Eades-, Guest Relations Manager at Ibis York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2013

Thank you for leaving your positive review.

My whole team have guest satisfaction as their number one priority, so I am pleased to hear that your found them to be very friendly and welcoming.

For any future visits to any ibis hotels you will always find the best prices on the ibis website or by calling the hotel directly.

I look forward to welcoming you back to ibis york in the near future.

Reviewed 28 March 2013

We have stayed at this hotel on many occasions with no complaints, however on this stay we were given a room which on arrival appeared as normal for this hotel and as we left after leaving bags in the room, we did not notice that there was a constant noise from what souinded like huge air con generators. it was not until we decide to sleep that the droning became un bearable and hence lost a nights sleep as it was that bad. To add to this room the grout between the shower wall ties had severe black mould, and finally the ceiling suffered from bad water leak stains, the two latter problems we suggest was the cause of a foisty smell in the rooms. To the hotels credit we complained to the recetion the next morning and they changed our room immediatley, I do not know what would have happened if the hotel was full though! The puzzling thing was the comments from the receptionist, who said that they were not aware of the noise in the room, which we find very hard to believe as it was not a one off noise, it was an industrial type noise for doing a continual job all day and all night long. She commented that they would send an engineer to the room the next day to investigate, had we have had to stay in that room we would have had to suffer another night loss of sleep, only to be told that there was nothing an engineer could do to reduce the noise as it was a necessary result of the machines operation!! This is why we only gave a one star for sleep quality, however, this was the only one night on all our stays that we would have given this low result, it was just a one off bad room location.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
-Helen-Eades-, Guest Relations Manager at Ibis York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your return visit, I am soory that it didn't live up to the standards that your are used to when visiting us.

I will of course bring the issue you have mentioned regarding the noise in your room to my maintenence manager in order to guarentee a solution for all guests in the future.

I would like to take this oppertunity to welcome you back in the future for what I'm sure will be a guenuine hassle free stay.

Reviewed 28 March 2013

The hotel itself is in easy walking distance from the train station and the center of york (about 7 mins)

We managed to get a very cheap room for one night so we cannot grumble too much, But We would of been very upset had we stayed longer,

The room was tiny, Their was a towel on the floor in the bathroom so wasn't sure if it had fallen off the rail or hadn't been cleaned.

Their was marks on the edge of the pillows and biscuit wrapper left in the room. Plus I know it's a basic hotel but maybe a few more coffee sachets, sugars etc for making tea/coffee would of been nice, We picked up a few from a fast food outlet in the town to take back to hotel. Again we only stayed one night so wasn't too much of a problem.

Plus a few noisy people at 3am but cannot blame the hotel for that.
Would I stay again, Yes if I got it for under £30 again I would.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you for giving your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to hear that you took advantage of one of our special offers during your visit.

Please be assured that the towel on in the shower is a bath mat, and had not fallen on the floor.

I will bring the issues you found in your room to the attention of my head housekeeper, this is not the usual high standard that we pride ourselves on, and these issues will be addressed with urgency.

For any future visits, please feel free to contact the reception team who will happily bring extra tea/coffee to your room.

Should you wish to return in the future please visit our ibis website or the hotel directly for any promotions we are running.

Reviewed 27 March 2013

My first impression of this hotel was a broken step which had a yellow "floor cleaning" warning sign with a hand-written note sellotaped to it, indicating that there was a broken tile and that it was due to be mended. A good ad hoc idea, but as it was windy the sign spent more time flat, thus causing a different danger.
The day staff were nice and friendly, and made my room available about an hour sooner than normal check in. This was a great help to me as I had a busy day in front of me.
The room itself was very small indeed (room 129), it was not particularly clean and had only scant attention paid to making it tidy and presentable. It is a budget hotel, and we cannot expect too much, but this was quite exceptional in its' untidyness.
Not the worst of issues you can encounter, so not the end of the world. It was, after all, just a room for one night. However, the bed was about as hard and uncomfortable as any I have ever slept in. To the point where I simply could not get a good sleep.
The night staff were at the polar opposite end of the friendly/helpful spectrum. My relatives and I returned late in the evening, with some food we had bought. We asked if the bar was open and the chap on reception said yes. We sat at a table (we were the only ones there) and prepared to order some drinks at which point the reception chap told us we couldn't eat our food there, but had to take it to our rooms. As he had just seen us enter the hotel, inform us the bar was still open and watch us sit down with our food I don't think it unreasonable to have been given this morsel of information when we first asked if the bar was open.
Bad first impression, good second impression, terrible third impression. Not a place I will use again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Please accept my apologies for your first impression of the hotel. we did have a crack in one of the tiles on the enterence to the hotel, which took longer to repair than we would have liked, this was due to the recent snow and ice in the city, it would have been more dangerous to try and repair because the concrete would not have set and would have become a health and safety issue.

Being a grade 2 listed building we do have rooms of differing sizes, should you wish to stay with us in the future please be advised that should you wish to have one of our larger rooms, please contact my reception team who will happily allocate you one of our larger rooms.

I am surprised to hear that you found our newly installed bed uncomfortable, this is not inkeeping with the very positive feedback that we have been recieving, but of course bed comfort is a personal taste.

Our restaurant has the same policy that you would find in all restaurants that we do not allow guests to eat there own food, I am sorry that this information was not given to you before taking a seat, i am presuming that my night staff thought you were only wanting drinks.

Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 26 March 2013

Stayed in a massive family room with sofa . Bathroom clean but furnishings in bedroom looking tired and curtains needed ironed and were stained. Bed very comfortable. Floorboards uneven and creaked alot conscious i was disturbing those below me. Placed in adjoining room open on my side locked on other side which as single female traveller didn't reassure me. Maintenance walked in after one knock early pm gave me a fright to do a routine room inspection. These checks need to be done before check in when room is not occupied. Noise in early hours folks going to bed after clubs shut. Odd layout stairs and individual floors which was confusing for even sober guests. The staircase needs brightening up and new carpet. Reception area and cafe breakfast area much newer more modern and bright. Good value on breakfast buffet deal. Good service at reception. Wifi free and efficient. Good deal unlimited movies and broadband. Not very central a good 10minute walk into York itself but handy for train station. Would only stay again if promotional rate but prefer somewhere more central.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank phoenix73

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review of the hotel.

I have passed on your comments to my housekeeping team who will look into the issues you have mentioned.

I have spoken to my maintenence manager who has not changed his timing for compleating his room checks to avoid disturbing any guests in the future.

Reviewed 24 March 2013

My hubby and I chose to stay here to break up our trip south.
We never regretted our choice.
I had became unwell on the trip down and the manager let us book in early, and we were very grateful for this.
Our room was in the back of the hotel, a very quiet location.
When we opened our door it 'slammed' shut so we thought that is all we would hear all night with other rooms.
It was so quiet, never heard a thing.
I had a few things that I needed in the room, more pillows, we like lots, tea coffee and tea.
All these things brought to the room with prompt attention.
The bathroom had a walk in shower, very very clean.
The shower came with body wash from a dispenser, a good touch.
Big fluffy clean and fresh towels.

We took a few trips to the lobby, a nice fire , big comfy sofas and the staff so pleasant and eager to serve, which is not usual for the ''big city''.

We had the breakfast option.
Now this was so good, we enjoyed it a little too much but left full for the rest of the day.

We would recommend this hotel in a heart beat.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
-Helen-Eades-, Guest Relations Manager at Ibis York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2013

I am pleased that you enjoyed you recent stay with us. We do tend to be a popular stop over point when travelling long distances.

Please note that we will always do our best to check guests in early, but even more so when they are not feeling well. I do hope that your back is feeling better.

I would love to welcome you back in the near future to explore our 'big city'

Reviewed 23 March 2013

This hotel is about 7-10 mins walk from York train station and 10-15 mins walk from the city centre. It's close enough to be convenient but without the noise of being right in the city centre.

I stayed in room 333 for 2 nights. The staff were extremely friendly and polite on arrival. The hotel lobby and restaurant were clean and tidy. The room was basic, but clean. There weren't many towels when we arrived, but when we mentioned this, the staff immediately found more. In the morning they left a bag of clean towels outside the room as well - more than we ended, but much appreciated anyway!

The room had twin beds, small wardrobe, desk, kettle, tea/coffee, tv and shower. The pressure on the shower was excellent.

Whilst not really a criticism, the room was a bit tired looking. It could do with a coat of paint; it was obvious the walls had been bashed by numerous suitcases over the months/years. However, it was reasonably priced and provided somewhere to get a decent nights sleep. I would certainly consider staying there again if I was in York.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

We are always pleased to hear that our guests have enjoyed their stay with us.

Marks left behind from suitcases are always an ongoing problem, which we do try to rectify as soon as we see any marks left behind.

I would like to take this oppertunity to welcome you back in the near future.