“If I could've rated this hotel as 2.5, I would've. The staff however were great.”
Review of Ibis York Centre

Ibis York Centre
Ranked #38 of 46 Hotels in York
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2014

The hotel itself is very tired and the corridors in particular are in need of some attention. Due to the narrow halls and stairs that interconnect between parts of the hotel I would not recommend this hotel for people with mobility issues. The lifts are also very small (4 people max) and would be unlikely to accommodate a larger wheelchair/mobility scooter. Whilst parking is available, it's not guaranteed, and on the nights that we stayed I ended up parking in the cinema car park across the road and paying £8/night to do so. The on street parking is 1 hour max, until 8pm, so if you're staying overnight and leaving before 8am the next day this is a viable option.

The hotel had lots of advertisement for free wifi dotted around the foyer, in the lifts etc, however both myself and my partner were unable to receive any signal in our bedroom on phones or laptops/tablets and could only get limited access next door in our families room (1 signal bar, which dropped out frequently). If you have a legitimate business need to stay in this hotel there is a pre-pay LAN connection, which is charged at a fairly high tariff for 24 hours access. The TV was old and had very limited channel selection. The window leaked in our room, which allowed a lot of water to come in through the night and the curtain had a substantial water stain on it. There was also an unfathomable light switch, located right between the pillows of the bed, allowing my sleeping self to turn on the lights several times throughout the nights we stayed.

Service in general was good, with staff polite and willing to help. The hotel front doors were locked overnight and the staff were happy to let me in and out as needed when faffing around with moving the car and also to make change for a note so I could pay for the parking. The breakfast supplied was by far the most varied and of the best quality of any that we encountered on our week travelling around the UK, with mini pastries, cereal, and full cooked breakfast items on offer. The room itself was clean. The hotel is located only a short walk from the walled city, so great for tourists.

Overall this hotel is conveniently located and relatively inexpensive for York city centre. The staff are pleasant and helpful and the breakfast is excellent. However, the hotel is let down by it's decor, wifi and being a bit run down. If you're just staying for a night and need a bed near the city centre, this hotel would be great but for an extended stay I would recommend spending a bit more money and staying somewhere else.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
-Helen-Eades-, Manager at Ibis York Centre, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Thank you for your comments.
I am glad to see that on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us.
Following feedback from our guests we have had our WiFi upgraded this week and are planning to have our TVs upgraded next month, so please allow me to thank you for feedback, which are happy to recieve and act upon.
Our corridors are to be upgraded early this year also.
I'm confident that for any future visits you will see improvements at the hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Thai first
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I stayed here with my boyfriend in January and found it to be a perfect little budget hotel. Room was very comfortable and clean (towels are quite small so you may want to take your own). Only a 5/10 minute walk to York city centre and a 5 minute walk from the train station, however there is no on site parking if you are thinking of driving (reception staff will direct you to a car park up the road). Would definitely stay here again!

1 Thank kag15
Thank you for your comments.
I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

I'm an Ibis fan and look to use this brand where I can and therefore booked this hotel with an expectation of how my stay would be, and unfortunately it didn't quite match the view I'd conjured up prior to staying.

The staff were great, breakfast more than good, room clean but I found the hotel a little tired and in some areas a little shabby.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
-Helen-Eades-, Manager at Ibis York Centre, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Thank you for your comments.
We are currently working on making improvements to the the hotel and I hope that this instance will not stop you from being a loyal guest of ibis hotels in the future.
東京
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I visited this hotel in January.
The temperature was so cold outside, but the room of this hotel was very warm.
Free Wi-Fi(good reception), comfortable double bed, clean room, a coffee maker with full coffee, tea, milk, sugar, clean bathroom with shower(no bathtub)
If you want to stay at a budget hotel, this hotel was perfect.
Everything was good. There was no problem at all.
It took only for 5 minutes walk from the train station.
Please note; There was only one bottle of soap used for both shampoo and body wash.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your positive review.
It is always a pleasure to hear that our guests have enjoyed their stay.

I hope that you will choose to once again stay with us in the future.
Livingston
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We arrived too early to check in but the staff were happy to store our luggage as we set off to explore York.

The room was clean and of a good size although a little bare. Are Ibis missing an opportunity to put up pictures of other locations or hotels in the group? I found the bed too hard for my liking.

At £7.95 the all you can eat breakfast was good value and well cooked.

The hotel is within walking distance of York city centre and is good value for a budget hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind words, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and i look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Marion, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Upon check-in, we were given a nonsmoking room that smelled of smoke so bad that we asked to be moved. Were then moved into a room that, unbeknownst to the receptionist, had not been cleaned (not being overly picky on cleanliness here - it hadn't been cleaned at all, beds were not made, trash on surfaces, etc.). Once the room was clean, our stay was uneventful. Overall though, the rooms are a bit weary. Good comfy Ibis bed though and the location is great. Everyone was nice and helpful, and I'm assuming we just managed to roll the dice poorly, twice, in terms of the rooms we were given. On a different note, although we checked ahead to ensure that they had parking available, when we arrived there were not spots - the hotel's parking area is very small compared to the size of the hotel and we ended up having to pay extra to park in a lot.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
-Helen-Eades-, Manager at Ibis York Centre, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Thank you for your review.
I am dissapointed to hear that were let down with your room on 2 seperate occasions. I have passed on your comments to my head housekeeper and the issues you experienced have been fully investigated and these issues will not be repeated.
I am however pleased to see that you enjoyed the rest of your stay.
I hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future for what I'm sure will be a pleasant experience.