“Disappointing”
Review of Ibis York Centre

Ibis York Centre
Ranked #39 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 30 June 2014

As previous reviews Reception and bar area are decent areas however the first room we were allocated was over Reception and we could hear music from below .Bizarrely there were also stairs down into the room.I went to ask for an alternative room which was quickly sorted and also the offer was made to turn down the sound.The second room was at the end of a maze of corridors and stairs but was ok and quiet.However one bedside light was out and the shower never got above luke warm although it was better in the morning.I rang Reception twice to complain and there was no reply .I explained the situation when we checked out and there was an apology but we will not be returning!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
-Helen-Eades-, Manager at Ibis York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Thank you for your review. I apologise that you were dissapointed with your stay.
Due to being a grade 2 listed building we do have rooms that vary in layout, most of our guests do like the quirkiness of the building, I'm sorry to hear that didn't suit your needs during your stay.
I will bring to the attention of my maintenance engineer the points you raised regarding your room in order for any isues to be investigated.
We have 24 hour staff on duty, I can only presume that the team were with other guests at the time you contacted reception, but I will of course monitor this as we would aim to be on hand to help our guests any time of the day or night.

There are newer reviews for Ibis York Centre

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I have stayed in quite a few ibis hotels and I general they are ok for a nights stay but find them very clinical with little else. I found this hotel much better than most ibis hotels.
This hotel has a great location 5 minutes from city walls, the staff were very welcoming and the hotel although the corridors are a bit dated was very clean with decent size rooms.
The staff were very helpful and made the stay a good experience.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for once again choosing to stay at ibis hotels.
I am pleased to hear that the team at ibis York made a difference to you during your stay.
We will be shortly updating our corridors, so I am confident that you will be pleased for any future visits to us.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Great budget hotel. Allows dogs in. Dog allowed in bar which is where you can have breakfast. Breakfast brilliant, great choice. Ok nearly £8 but well worth it as one of the best breakfasts I have had in a hotel. Rooms clean plus comfy bed. Staff could not be more helpful. Hotel is great value for money for the location as only a short walk into the centre. Plus free parking which we got easily. I would stay here again plus recommend to others.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for letting others know that you would recommend staying with us.
I hope that I get the chance to meet you during your next visit to York.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Stayed at this Hotel last year November 2013 for a few days after our wedding... It was a very clean, room, room cleaned and sheets changed every day, clean towels, coffe, tea and biscuits chnged every day, The staff were all lovely and very helpfull. and as a budget Hotel, this year we will be back for our 1st Anniversay....

Room Tip: Just ask for what ever you are looking for, The IBIS staff will do eveything to make your visit spec...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for leaving your feed back.
I am pleased that we could help to make your honeymoon special and look forward to welcoming you back for your anniversary.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Only stayed one night en route elsewhere but wish it had been longer. The hotel is really good value, the room was spacious and in the old part of the hotel overlooking the street but not at all noisy. Everything was spotless, the only complaint was that the flat screen tv was hard to see as the room was long and thin. Comfy beds at one end tv at the other but no big deal. Bar area was nice and welcoming and the free parking is amazing in York centre. Hotel well located, quite a few bars and restaurants around and a short walk to the city centre. All the staff were friendly and helpful. Will definitely stay again, next time for longer.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review.
I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your time with us and hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Stayed here back in April of this year for a week at around 800 pounds and was very pleased indeed. Accommodation room was cleaned every day, bins emptied, nice free biscuits and tea and coffee making facilities topped up! Bed was very comfy and the breakfast was delightful. Everything ranging from full English to continental.. including cold meats, bread and cheeses. Nice reception area, free wifi and parking facilities free of charge to residents. Would recommend this hotel to anyone! About a 15 min walk into the centre of York, but busses available near the hotel. Only complaint is that 3 doors down from my room on the first two nights it was abit noisy but I doubt that would happen again.. just luck. Enjoy your stay! :)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
-Helen-Eades-, Manager at Ibis York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you for your very positive feedback.
I am pleasedto hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and would like to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

For a budget hotel I do not expect much, but I was still disappointed with this hotel only because of one factor which made a big impact on me - there was mildew on the window which effects my skin condition. Other than that i found the hotel perfectly adequate and could have rated it higher. Most people would probably not notice the mildew, but for me it was an issue.

Cleanliness was good, but the rooms were outdated, with rust on fittings and could have benefited from a refurbishment. A pleasant enough hotel, with a very swanky looking reception and good facilities. Beds are comfortable, but just being in a room with mildew makes me itchy so my sleep was not the best. Location was ideal for those who are ok to walk. Its just outside the old city walls and very close to the train station. It takes around 15 minute walk to the city centre and all its attractions.

I could not say about the breakfast as we did not eat there. Staff always seemed polite and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review.
I will ensure that my head housekeeper carrys our a though check of all the rooms in the hotel for mildew, although I suspect that this is a one off occurrence.
I'm confident that should you visit us again in the future you will have a hassle free stay.