“Poor quality in a good position”
Review of Ibis York Centre

Ibis York Centre
Ranked #40 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Below average standard of Ibis hotels. This is an old and rather tired hotel but is well situated for a break in York. Our room was 'tatty' with a broken phone and bedside lamp. As other people have commented, the staff are very pleasant and helpful.
Probably better value hotels in York.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have traffic noise but at the back there is car park and boiler noise.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
-Helen-Eades-, Manager at Ibis York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback.
I will investigate your comments and ensure improvements are made where necessary.
I hope you choose to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

The staff were very friendly and helpful. I called before we arrived to chck on the parking and what to do if their limited spaces were taken.

At check in, the room was ready early so we were able to go to the room straight away, we had been able to park too.

The hotel is everything you would expect from an Ibis. It looks like a converted townhouse with a rear modern extension. The bar restaurant area is modern and fresh.

The buffet breakfast was good and plentiful.

The hotel is a short walk from Micklegate, 10 mins from the railway station, the city walls and next door is the Hotel de Vin.

We used the free wifi too, though the signal was not strong.

I would to use this hotel again if staying in York.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are probably quieter than those on the main road.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review.
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
-Helen-Eades-, Manager at Ibis York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Reviewed 9 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I arrived by train and this hotel is only a few minutes walk from the station, although about 15 mins walk from the city centre. The room I was given was quite small but very clean and quiet. However I couldn't connect to the wi-fi. When I mentioned this to the receptionist, she moved me to another room immediately. This room was huge, with a comfy king-size bed and a large spotlessly clean bathroom. I connected to the wi-fi with no problem but the signal was erratic. The room was quiet and there was no noise at all from outside.
My only gripe with the room was that the duvet was far too heavy for summer use and the shower lacked a little power.
There was a good choice at breakfast (nice sausages) in the large dining room.
I will definitely stay here again if I cant get a cheap room closer to the centre.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for your review.
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and hope you will choose to stay with us again during your next visit to York.

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed in June for my partners birthday. The hotel is really upto date and new looking in the Reception and bar area but the rooms are very basic and could do with modernising.
And unfortunately we had a very noisy neighbour (we could even hear their conversations) so not sure if this is because the walls/ceilings are thin.

The centre of York is about 20 min walk from Hotel.
We loved York and will definitely be returning but we will be choosing other accommodation next time.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
-Helen-Eades-, Manager at Ibis York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Thank you for your review.
I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us and will address the issues that you have brought to my attention.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Having read some of the other reviews of this hotel I was a bit worried, but if you need a comfy bed and room for a couple of nights while in the city, without spending a lot, then this is perfectly fine.

The reception and restaurant has been modernised - very friendly, helpful staff, but when you get beyond that the decor is a bit tired. The poppy print carpets and door plaques are very tired and actually grubby looking, but the rooms (at least ours) were very comfy. Air Con would be good, but the fan was very much appreciated.

A great place to lay your hat whilst in the city, just a short walk to most places.
Again, decor is a bit fusty, but it seems clean and we definitely enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
-Helen-Eades-, Manager at Ibis York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for your review.
I'm pleased to hear that on the whole you have enjoyed your stay with us. We will shortly be updating our corridors and for any future visits to ibis York, I'm sure that you will see improvements.