“Great City Location”
Review of Ibis York Centre

Ibis York Centre
Ranked #39 of 47 Hotels in York

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Thai first
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Well....think premier inn / travelodge and then lower your expectations. My family stayed here this weekend on Friday and Saturday night, my mum and dad, myself and my partner and my brother and his wife who is pregnant. We stayed for the races (within walking distance for people who have no difficulty walking a mile). We were booked into the county stand but thats where the luxury finished. This hotel is full of large groups of men on stag dos and large groups of people. The clientel are loud and plyed with drink from the bar which is open until 2. The room was clean and the bed very comfirtable but the decor is like student accomadation...with peach doors and a poppy carpet and the carpet in our room was awful colour. The bathroom was very clean. We stayed for two days but dont expect the maid to leave another round of biscuits or tea/milk etc on the tray (even though you have paid for two nights). The bed was made for the second eve and the bathroom wiped over. I was impressed with service. On the first night the bath attachement broke and i couldnt turn the tap off. I recieved assisstance straight away from reception, they said they would report it for an engineer but no one came. Luckily it worked even though it was tempremental. We had a lovely day at the races, when we returned it was spoiled by someone in the bar near enough threatening my dad...because a group of men had returned and took my mums and my chair away without asking ( whilst we were at the toilet). My dad took our seats back but it was an uncomfortable atmosphere. The next evening a group of women were eating pizza and kebabs underneath the teli sat on the settees. However, The breakfast was fabulous...full cooked breakfast up until 10 then its continental only until 12. It was hot and tasted very good I would recommend it. Bacon,sausage, scrambled egg, toms,black pudding, cerials and continental selection, yoghurt etc. They really do do a good breakfast. Thats good beacuse dont expect much sleep if its tooo hot. We stayed in an attic type bedroom where it was so hot we had to have the window open which looks onto the busy main street into york. It was so noisey with sirens of the police and ambulances going up and down constantly. My sister in law could not sleep so they checked out and returned home for the second night, they couldnt stay in the hotel any longer. There is a good flat screen teli in the rooom. I had no mirrior over the dressing table but like said earlier...the bed was very comfortable and clean. We ate our evening meal at an italian over the road...it was fabulous but tinned mushrooms on the pizza. I has pasta and chicken it was really nice. There is a sainsbury across the road open until 12 and quite a few fish and chip shops.. I would recommend the 2nd one into town, there is also a KFC.

Room Tip: some have views of the minster...others are attic type onto the main road and they have a velux roof...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
-Helen-Eades-, Manager at Ibis York Centre, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you for your feedback.
I am pleased to hear that you found the hotel to be clean,the breakfast was enjoyable and the location suited your needs during your trip to the city for the horse racing. The horse racing meetings in York will attract hens and stags, who are often in high spirits, unfortunatly we can not stop these groups from taking chairs in the bar, as this is a common problem found in bars up and down the country where some people do not ask before moving chairs when someone vacates them, but I am sorry if this made you feel uncomfortable.
I am happy to hear that the reception team could assist you with the issue you found with the bath in your room.
Being a city centre hotel, we will occasionally have the emergency services passing the hotel, unfortunatly this is beyond our control.
The reception did check with your sister in law as to why she was checking out early, if she had mentioned that she had been unable to sleep, we would have offered a room move to a quieter part of the hotel, as we take the health of all our guest very seriously, please accept my apologies if you had a disturbed stay.
Arbroath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This is the second time we have stayed at the Ibis in york it is in a nice part of the city easy waking distance to the main street, But it is really needing to be refurbished the rooms are a bit rough,very friendly staff ,

Thank you for your review.
I am pleased to hear that you found the location of the hotel suited your needs during your stay.
Please be aware that I will address the concerns you have mentioned.

Travellers are raving about these York hotels

preston
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed at the hotel for York races, it was really busy. Breakfast was great a vast choice of foods on offer. I must say that young Michael who was working the bar late at night is an asset to the company he was so friendly and excellent at his job. All other members of staff were great too, from arriving till leaving and the car park was free of charge. Its a budget hotel but well worth a stay for a great weekend with friends.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
-Helen-Eades-, Manager at Ibis York Centre, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
I am glad to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay with us. I will share you comments with the team, especially Michael who is new to the hotel and I'm pleased to hear that he has left you with a lasting impression.
I hope that you will visit us again in the future.
Newhaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stayed at the Ibis over the Tour de France weekend, having booked it nearly a year ago. The hotel is in a great location - short walk from the train station ( we travelled by train from the south coast), great pubs and eateries close by and it's not far to walk into the city centre. We arrived and checked in very quickly. We had a room on the top floor which had a great view over the city to the Minster.

Only negatives with the room was no bin for rubbish and the room was very warm - but thank you to the staff on Reception we got a fan on our second night. Also a bit lacking in plug sockets near the bed for mobile phone charging!

The free wi-fi was great.

The food served at breakfast was ok, except where it sits for a while under the heat lamps it goes a bit dry and the scramble, beans and tomatoes got a bit of skin on them. It would have been nice to have some decent bread to toast instead of the prepacked sliced on offer. Husband loved the pain au raisin - sorry if no-one else got to eat any the weekend we were there!

All in all a good hotel for a tourist base.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor, preferrably at the back.
Thank you for your review.
I will address the issue you have mentioned, although I am pleased to see that on the whole you enjoyed your time with us.
Norwich, UK
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Below average standard of Ibis hotels. This is an old and rather tired hotel but is well situated for a break in York. Our room was 'tatty' with a broken phone and bedside lamp. As other people have commented, the staff are very pleasant and helpful.
Probably better value hotels in York.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have traffic noise but at the back there is car park and boiler noise.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your feedback.
I will investigate your comments and ensure improvements are made where necessary.
I hope you choose to stay with us again in the future.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

The staff were very friendly and helpful. I called before we arrived to chck on the parking and what to do if their limited spaces were taken.

At check in, the room was ready early so we were able to go to the room straight away, we had been able to park too.

The hotel is everything you would expect from an Ibis. It looks like a converted townhouse with a rear modern extension. The bar restaurant area is modern and fresh.

The buffet breakfast was good and plentiful.

The hotel is a short walk from Micklegate, 10 mins from the railway station, the city walls and next door is the Hotel de Vin.

We used the free wifi too, though the signal was not strong.

I would to use this hotel again if staying in York.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are probably quieter than those on the main road.
Thank you for your review.
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back in the future.