“Craig Walker”

Ibis York Centre
Ranked #39 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
-Helen-Eades-, Manager at Ibis York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I spent two nights here with many of my friends here recently. The room was nice and clean, good price, the bar and breakfast was really nice (awesome English brekky) and most of all the service was really friendly. The negative was the showers - cold and runny they need to fix that. The location is fantastic and great access to York's wonderful city centre. Overall recommended for sure.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Flash1979_12
-Helen-Eades-, Manager at Ibis York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thank you for your review.
I am pleased to hear that on the whole you have enjoyed your stay.
I will look into the issues you have mentioned, and will investigate where we can make improvements.
I hope you choose to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Having stayed at the York Ibis many times before, we knew what to expect here - And in honesty I have exactly the same things to say about this visit, compared with previous ones; it's a very consistent experience!

The room was clean, carpets thin and bed reasonably comfy. There was surprisingly little noise within the hotel, despite being situated across from the lifts. In the early morning there was external noise (from what I assume is a delivery van), which we always seem to get and cannot reasonably be helped. We were also fortunate to get one of the free parking spaces - something that actually does swing our hotel choice in the Ibis' favour. Often other hotels can be found in a similar price bracket, but without the free parking (which does make the costs add up!). The staff on reception were smiling, welcoming and helpful.

As always in York, the Ibis is a consistently good budget hotel - Though if the prices are at their peak, I would begrudge paying top rate to stay here.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
-Helen-Eades-, Manager at Ibis York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Thank you for once again choosing to stay with us at ibis York centre.
I hope that you continue to visit us during your trips to York.

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Fab location , 15 mins walk to race track, 5 mins walk from train station and the start of town. Friendly staff, bar area clean and modern. But rooms need tlc and updating, corridors need complete overhaul, rooms tiny but ok if get room for budget price, no room for child's cot etc

Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for your comments.
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will look into the comments you have made, for where we can make improvements for the future.
If you return to the hotel in the future, please contact the hotel directly in order for one of the team to allocate a larger room for you if you are travelling with a cot, and we can also provide a cot for you, to save you having to bring your own with you.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
-Helen-Eades-, Manager at Ibis York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Well....think premier inn / travelodge and then lower your expectations. My family stayed here this weekend on Friday and Saturday night, my mum and dad, myself and my partner and my brother and his wife who is pregnant. We stayed for the races (within walking distance for people who have no difficulty walking a mile). We were booked into the county stand but thats where the luxury finished. This hotel is full of large groups of men on stag dos and large groups of people. The clientel are loud and plyed with drink from the bar which is open until 2. The room was clean and the bed very comfirtable but the decor is like student accomadation...with peach doors and a poppy carpet and the carpet in our room was awful colour. The bathroom was very clean. We stayed for two days but dont expect the maid to leave another round of biscuits or tea/milk etc on the tray (even though you have paid for two nights). The bed was made for the second eve and the bathroom wiped over. I was impressed with service. On the first night the bath attachement broke and i couldnt turn the tap off. I recieved assisstance straight away from reception, they said they would report it for an engineer but no one came. Luckily it worked even though it was tempremental. We had a lovely day at the races, when we returned it was spoiled by someone in the bar near enough threatening my dad...because a group of men had returned and took my mums and my chair away without asking ( whilst we were at the toilet). My dad took our seats back but it was an uncomfortable atmosphere. The next evening a group of women were eating pizza and kebabs underneath the teli sat on the settees. However, The breakfast was fabulous...full cooked breakfast up until 10 then its continental only until 12. It was hot and tasted very good I would recommend it. Bacon,sausage, scrambled egg, toms,black pudding, cerials and continental selection, yoghurt etc. They really do do a good breakfast. Thats good beacuse dont expect much sleep if its tooo hot. We stayed in an attic type bedroom where it was so hot we had to have the window open which looks onto the busy main street into york. It was so noisey with sirens of the police and ambulances going up and down constantly. My sister in law could not sleep so they checked out and returned home for the second night, they couldnt stay in the hotel any longer. There is a good flat screen teli in the rooom. I had no mirrior over the dressing table but like said earlier...the bed was very comfortable and clean. We ate our evening meal at an italian over the road...it was fabulous but tinned mushrooms on the pizza. I has pasta and chicken it was really nice. There is a sainsbury across the road open until 12 and quite a few fish and chip shops.. I would recommend the 2nd one into town, there is also a KFC.

Room Tip: some have views of the minster...others are attic type onto the main road and they have a velux roof...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback.
I am pleased to hear that you found the hotel to be clean,the breakfast was enjoyable and the location suited your needs during your trip to the city for the horse racing. The horse racing meetings in York will attract hens and stags, who are often in high spirits, unfortunatly we can not stop these groups from taking chairs in the bar, as this is a common problem found in bars up and down the country where some people do not ask before moving chairs when someone vacates them, but I am sorry if this made you feel uncomfortable.
I am happy to hear that the reception team could assist you with the issue you found with the bath in your room.
Being a city centre hotel, we will occasionally have the emergency services passing the hotel, unfortunatly this is beyond our control.
The reception did check with your sister in law as to why she was checking out early, if she had mentioned that she had been unable to sleep, we would have offered a room move to a quieter part of the hotel, as we take the health of all our guest very seriously, please accept my apologies if you had a disturbed stay.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

This is the second time we have stayed at the Ibis in york it is in a nice part of the city easy waking distance to the main street, But it is really needing to be refurbished the rooms are a bit rough,very friendly staff ,

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review.
I am pleased to hear that you found the location of the hotel suited your needs during your stay.
Please be aware that I will address the concerns you have mentioned.