“Wouldn't go back”

Ranked #39 of 47 Hotels in York
Sydney, Australia
“Wouldn't go back”
Reviewed 27 May 2010

I stayed here for just for one night some time ago but wouldn't go back if I could avoid it. It may have improved but I wasn't impressed with the slightly cheap feel to the place. The staff all seemed a bit young and didn't seem to know what they were doing. I think it's a case of you get what you pay for.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
LudovicVerzi, General Manager at Ibis York Centre, responded to this review, 20 July 2010
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I was sorry to read that your stay did not seem to meet your expectations and I wonder if you could contact me to discuss this matter. Kind regards, Ludovic Verzi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Thai first
norr26
Reviewed 27 May 2010

This is probably the worst hotel I have stayed in in years! The hotel sits at the edge of town amongst fast food outlets, ramshakle shops and a fairly run down area! If you must stay in this area stay at the premier travel lodge it at least looks a nice hotel! On arrival the receptionist asked what was up with our miserable faces (we were down for a funeral). When we got to the lifts we noticed what looked like a dead body rolled up under the carpet, it was a wave of bumps and lumps, then things got worse, now I know this is a budget hotel so is travelodge so is premier travel inn, its has to be said this place was not a mark on those benchmarks. The room was tiny it had yellowed pillow cases, the carpet was stained with various unimaginable marks and the tv was a shower of snow - it was minging! So it was not a great start! We went out (York old town is nice) our son stayed in, he went down and ordered a pizza, it was an interesting ball of dough, he even kept it to show us - in fact it stayed with us a few more days! It was almost like a puppy! It had 4 dough legs and big puppy olive eyes (the cleaners must have thought we liked it so much we got to keep it )! Anyway next day getting dressed up for the funeral I managed to bang both sides of my head on both sides on the sharply inclined stucattod wall, this room was really small! My wife was raking around for a hair dryer guess what - no hair dryer, no shower matt - you get them from reception, must be highly desireable items to take home by the guests! Like the bathrobes and slippers (no just kidding - none in the room). So the next shocker is how thin the walls are and we would like to publicly thank the couple who attempted to destroy their bed through the night. bang bang bang! So we were leaving - at last! So standing outside beside a pool of sick waiting on my wife she came out to say they had no record of our booking - eventually we got away! Pheeww! So my advice add a few more pounds and stay at the premier travel lodge if you are doing a budget booking - it looks fine, York old town is lovely as well. I didnt know the Munsters were from York! p.s. we have kept the pizza puppy, its called Rolf, remember people pizza puppies are for life not just for Ibis hotels!

1 Thank norr26
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I was sorry to read that your stay did not meet your expectations and I wonder if you could contact me at your convenience to discuss this matter. Kind regards, Ludovic Verzi

Travellers are raving about these York hotels

Keighley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2010

The main good thing is I slept well and there were extra pillows etc. Unfortunately I have lots more bad things, where to start first...
Car Park - blimey - fine if you own a mini. It is a tight squeeze.
We had the misfortune of having to eat there on our first evening (as the person paying the bill insisted we ignore the vast quantity of good restaurants in York). All was going reasonably well from the quite limited menu until the main courses arrived. One was not as per the menu described. Two of the duck main courses were cold and the vegetarian pie was fine until I got to the middle to find it was frozen solid - urgh. Interesting enought no appologies were forthcoming nor were any alternatives offered. The next day we didnt risk breakfast or the evening meal there.
As for the room very basic but I was not expecting 5* - the bed was quite hard but to be honest I did sleep very well- but was working so that might have something to do with it.
I dont think I will be staying here in a hurry ever again not when you consider what York has to offer!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank mrbilbs
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. Your feedback is very important to us and I was sorry to read that your stay did not meet your expectations. I wonder if you could conctact me to discuss this matter. Kind regards, Ludovic Verzi
Boonies
Reviewed 13 May 2010

Having read the tripadvisor reviews for the Ibis York. It was with considerable trepidation I booked a night's stay for my wife and I over the Early May Bank Holiday .The £50 price for the room clinched it, I just hoped the previous reviewers were frequent hotel travellers more used to 'Hotel du Vin' and the like.
Speaking from our experience:
The room was spacious with a double and a sofa bed made up on our arrival. Plenty of towels and extra pillows for two. Above all it was very clean and tidy (we wore shoes on the carpet, but we are extremely fastidious). Okay, the view from our rear facing room was best hidden by the curtains and yes, the car park was full but unrestricted parking a few hundred yards away on a side street was easy to find. For breakfast, we swiftly passed by the Ibis restaurant (burning toast odours emanating from the buffet) and made the short walk into the city centre where we were spoilt for choice. Lastly we did ask for assistance from one of the staff and they responded to our request quickly and without fuss.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
LudovicVerzi, General Manager at Ibis York Centre, responded to this review, 5 July 2010
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay with us. I was please to read that you enjoyed your stay in York and with my team, I am looking forward to welcome you back on your next visit to the area. Kind regards, Ludovic Verzi
rotherham
Reviewed 9 May 2010

Very comfortable, clean and spacious room with an excellent view. The hotel is in an ideal location just outside the city walls with plenty of amenities such as a shop and chemist. The hotel was modern and the lounge area and bar were very welcoming after a long day out! The staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough to accomodate us. The breakfast was an all you can eat buffet and very good value for money. I could not fault our stay.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your very kind comments and compliments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay in York and with my team, I look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to the area. Kind regards, Ludovic Verzi
Fife
Reviewed 4 May 2010

You get what you pay for and we only used this hotel for the purpose of sleep (not that we got much). There were large groups and as to be expected lot's of noise, doors slamming etc. In short I wouldn't recommend this hotel other than for stag or hen weekends. Rooms were extremely small and clean (only just at standard)
Staff were ok but reception were unfriendly and after paying on arrival they were no longer interested.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I was sorry to read of the unecessary disruption caused and please accept my apologies for this. I also wonder if you could contact me to discuss this matter. Kind regards, Ludovic Verzi
NYC
Reviewed 14 April 2010

This hotel has no interest in providing a pleasant and comfortable stay for their guests. The parking was a nightmare: we were told there was parking and found it full. Had to park on the street and get up at 6:45AM to move the car so as not to be booted. The carpet was filthy, there was only warm/cool water in the shower (sink was fine...whats with that??), doors in the corridor banged all night, etc etc. Got the picture?? All we wanted was what they said they were selling...they were NOT selling it. NEVER AGAIN.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple