“Lovely place to stay”

Ranked #22 of 46 Hotels in York
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Lovely place to stay”
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Booked a twin room for 1 night as my daughter and I were attending York Uni open day. Hotel staff were helpful and very friendly. Check-in smooth and quick. Food was very good although dinner service a little slow but I think we hit them at peak time !

Room was a reasonable size and well appointed. Would have no problems recommending anyone to stay there again if you're looking to visit York and surrounding area although it's a little way to the City Centre but extremely convenient for the University.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Camberley, UK
Reviewed 6 July 2012

The unprepossessing exterior reveals not a bad hotel at all. Although stitched together from a house or two and a collection of extensions (which means that, unlike modern hotels, corridors abound and routes meander) it has a certain warmth and charm despite the distinct 1950s feel of the décor in some rooms. The paintwork needs touching up in places but it’s free from the obvious neglect that pervades many similarly priced hotels these days. It’s probably just a touch too far from the city centre to be called convenient although they do have free parking within the city centre which allays that criticism somewhat (paring is also free at the hotel itself). But it’s nicely located for movement into the York hinterland and further afield. The staff (quite a lot of them, which is a change these days) are accommodating, pleasant and efficient. Some of the reception staff were, it seemed a bit zoned-out but at least they smiled. The room I had (décor apart) was comfortable enough and fairly spacious and clean. The bed linen was little heavy for a warm July night. Good bathroom (but no bidet) and plenty of hot water and an efficient shower. Public rooms are a little on the gloomy side and somewhat old fashioned but no without charm. What, I think, sets this hotel above the rest is the restaurant. Previous reviewers have commented on this and they’re not wrong. Reasonably priced (say £30 for three courses) the food is pretty good and belies the hotel’s 3 star status. A decent choice with a range of prices and some interesting options. Nothing cutting-edge but good food done with flair and professionalism, well presented, well cooked and very flavoursome. I had a good trout, preceded by tiger prawns and followed by a decent cheese selection on the first night and mackerel, lamb and fruit crumble the second. Nothing to complain about at all and I came away most satisfied thinking that it was a good meal. Breakfasts were fine although the full English was a touch meagre but compensated by a wide selection of yoghurts, jams, pastries and cereals. Smoked salmon and kippers were also available together with the customary eggs. Overall then not bad at all and, for me, the ultimate accolade: I’d actually go back and even if I were having to do for pleasure as opposed to this business trip.

Room Tip: Away form the main road as the noise can be invasive.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
York
Reviewed 23 June 2012

My daughter and I were parking at the Pavilion Hotel in York and my first thoughts were we'd entered a police station! I've never seen so many police vehicles in one place and were at first worried there may be something sinister going on. We later found that the Olympic Torch was making its way through Yorkshire and the hotel were accommodating the boys in blue - I must say, although we were not staying the night, I would have felt more than secure with that array of enforcement in the building.
We had been recommended to dine by friends in York that mentioned a new chef and a new approach to the stuffy old stuff I've been eating for years. I would like to add that I have not been to the hotel prior to this visit but had little expectation. My diet dictates that many things leave me in the dark at most eateries.
The restaurant was bustling and inviting and the menu was well thought out. We were seated quickly and courteously by the restaurant manager and the best is yet to come, our wine was perfectly chilled, the bread fresh from the oven and best of all the lemon sole!
Forget the delicious duck starter (a perfect round terrine) or the outstanding summer fruit pudding...the lemon sole stole the show! In my experience, it takes an exemplary chef to perfectly cook such a fish.
My daughter had the tiger prawns which were equally delicious and the venison burger. I have not seen Sandra or in fact "not heard" Sandra relish her meal so fervently in over five years.
My only criticism would be minor and nothing to write home about, but I would like a bigger slice of the summer pudding, the portion was a bit too small for me.
Coffee was delicious and prompt but the milk was a bit slow in coming forth.
I would like to recommend the restaurant as a refreshing change to most hotel experiences and thank the "new" chef, the staff and management for a wonderful impulse night out.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
, General Manager at Best Western York Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
Dear Ray
Thank you for your kind words, Chef will be very pleased with your feedback. We are about to launch an exciting new menu on Thursday 29th July between 6pm and 8pm. There will be canape examples of the dishes along with selected accompanying wines to try. We would be delighted if you were to join us. Call Sarah on York 622099 to reserve your places.
Best regards
Sean Battles
Reviewed 22 June 2012

From first walking into the hotel I felt at ease the receptionist, Georgina, was very helpful advising us of everything we needed to know.
the room was clean and again had a relaxed feel about it.
The local pubs are very friendly and are within walking distance if you want to venture out.
Breakfast was very good and very relaxed with calming music in the background.
the staff were all very friendly.
I would recomend this hotel

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Cheebley
Leeds
Reviewed 16 June 2012

We got married at the Pavilion, so the rating reflects both our wedding day and stay. All the staff were incredibly helpful (particular thanks to Sean, Kate and Rob) and made sure our day ran smoothly and all our guests were well fed (and watered!) The location of the hotel means it is is great for visiting York for a weekend break but you also feel like you're away from the noise and tourists. We stayed in the bridal suite which was incredibly spacious and had a fantastic, newly-refurbished bathroom. The full breakfast on the morning after the wedding was delicious and much-needed!

Room Tip: Obviously the bridal suites (we were in room 3) are fantastic!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Laura D
, Owner at Best Western York Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
Dear Laura
Thank you for your review. We have indeed just refurbished one of our bridal suites I am delighted you like the result as we are about to refurbish another wing of rooms with a similar feel. Your kind words will be appreciated by the team. I am so pleased you had a excellent time. All our very best for the future.
Irene
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Me and my fiancée booked in on the 6th of june for 1 night the hotel was easy to find and pleasant on the eye the car park was a bit small but if other drivers had parked properly would have been more spaces ,at check in we were greeted by a very friendly and pleasant receptionist ,our room was in an court yard annex and called vino tinto an was just the job .it was such a lovely hotel with such wonderful and friendly and helpful staff we cancelled our onward journey to stay a second night having an evening meal which was great value and very tasty then settled in the bar for a chat and drink with other guests will definitely be going back

Room Tip: the courtyard rooms are best no 61 was ours
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Rooms are well appointed with comfortable bedding. Bathroom is large, newly renovated complete with long bath and shower. Friendly and helpful staff. Free parking but can be full during weekends. This hotel is approx 3-4 bus stops or 20 mins stroll from town.
Only setback is the staircase leading to the room. It is quite narrow so not advisable if you carry huge luggage.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple