“Best Western,s worst.”

Best Western York Pavilion Hotel
Ranked #23 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Stayed at the York Pavilion Hotel for my sons stag weekend.The hotel was chosen for it,s location being close to York centre.First impressions weren't very good as the reception is in a narrow hallway that was filled with guests of a wedding being held there.We had to battle our way through the wedding guests in the bar to access the stairs to our room.When booking in,I was told that my room was above the function room and to expect some noise.Some noise was an understatement ,you couldn't hold a conversation with someone In the room for the din below.The room was small and dated and didn't reflect the £100+ per night.This hotel,s main income is as a wedding venue (there were three weddings the weekend we stayed)and isn't mentioned when booking.Our group were asked to leave the bar for the wedding guests which I found unacceptable.We paid over a thousand pounds in total to stay there and as paying guests you expect to be able to use the facilities.In my opinion the hotel shouldn't take bookings when hosting weddings.To sum up,the hotel is tired and dated,expensive and mismanaged.I have stayed in many Best Western hotels,and have to say this is the worst one I have stayed in.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank DELBOY160
Write a ReviewReviews (1,340)

Reviewed 9 October 2012

We stayed 1 night and found the location and area very nice. We walked into York a good 35mins although there were buses. We were told to go the river route by the Hotel but had to abandon it as it was flooded across the path and very muddy.
The room was a little dated as I think most of The Best Westerns are and in need of changing all the fussy patterned decor and I think they should change the shower curtains for screens, but all in all we would stay again. The breakfast was good as not the usual buffet type but cooked to order and the receptionist very helpful. It also had a couple of shops and pubs around the location so you weren't a captive audience there.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2012

We got married at the pavilion, we stayed at the hotel the night before, had our ceremony there and day and evening reception and the service from the minute we arrived was excellent. Kate and Sean have been great with the plans from the moment we first looked round the venue, nothing was too much trouble and their experience in weddings really helped. Stevie was on hand to assist Kate and on the day itself ensured that all we asked for in relation to the room layout was met. All the staff were helpful and nothing was too much trouble. Rob, the master of ceremonies was with us every step of the way on the day, we didn't need to worry about a thing. Just before the ceremony Kate, rob and Sean were all there letting us know how long we had before the service, etc. the food was outstanding and the hotel itself was so clean, tidy and rooms were to a high standard. I would recommend a meal, an overnight stay and certainly a wedding at the pavilion!

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank RachelA01
Reviewed 6 October 2012

We stayed at the York Pavilion in February 2012. It is a lovely hotel and perfectly placed if you would like a days shopping in either York or at the Designer Outlet which is about 2 minutes away by car. The room was a little tired but full of character. The bathroom definitely needed an update. The staff were helpful and friendly. The only downside for me was the food. My husband loved it but I had the vegetarian option and to be honest it was the worst vegetarian food I've ever been served and I couldn't eat most of it. It was a shame as it will stop me from booking here again but like I say, my husband had the meat eaters menu and he loved it!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2012

Stayed here for one night on a business trip, location is good if driving but if you are coming by train this is not ideal you will have to spend another tenner on taxi. The lady who checked in did not mention that breakfast was included until I asked. The rooms had low ceiling and had radiator heaters so assume that there is no A/C, The room I stayed in did not have any soap in the bath but my colleague's room had probably his was an upgrade. We had breakfast which was OK, a dark haired man was taking the order for English Breakfast which was included in our price and as soon as we said Cheese Omelette he ran away from us so that we do not order anything else. Overall a different experience for me but would stay in a similar hotel if I have to.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade though my friend got it without asking...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Velama
Reviewed 3 October 2012

We have just had a two night break in York staying at The York Pavillion. A stunning building in lovely surroundings. Having read the reviews I was a bit worried, as it was a Christmas present and wanted it to be a nice break away. Easy to find and with ample parking. The staff on reception very polite, and welcoming.
The room was a standard double. Granted a little dated but very clean. Our room overlooked the courtyard.
One of the reviews I read was about the noise from ajoining rooms and corridors. Sadly this was noticeable, especially from TV noise and talking in the rooms. There was also a wedding but to be honest this didn't seem to be an issue.
Breakfast was plentiful. Buffet or full english. Coffee was not very nice. We caught the bus in to York £7 return for two. But walked in and back which takes about 25 mins all on the flat.
We didn't eat at the hotel as nothing took our fancy,, so we ate at the pub down the road "The Plough" which was packed out. Great meal, sensibly priced and lovely staff. We ate there again on the Sunday night.
All in all I would recommend a stay at The York Pavillion. The outlet place is two mins drive away - worth a visit.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrsPinky1973
Reviewed 29 September 2012

The York Pavilion Hotel is an imposing building, once the residence of John Barry. The reception area is narrow and you will be bumped into by scurrying staff as you move through the public hallways downstairs.

The reception staff were unfailingly helpful and pleasant and gave a very good first impression.

The room was fresh and clean and the window looked out on an attractive area of the garden. There was a roomy ensuite bathroom and flat screen tv. We arrived during lashing rain (which went on to cause flooding throughout York), and our ceiling appeared to have a leak in the corner. It didn’t get any worse during our stay, and the weather had been exceptionally wet so it was forgivable.

As a result of the dreadful weather we ate in the hotel each evening. The menu was quite restricted and did not alter throughout our stay. That said, the food was plentiful and of a high quality, and not too expensive. There are at least 4 dining rooms and all beautifully appointed with views to the garden and points of interest in the room. The service was generally very good. The head waiter seemed to have things under control very well, and drinks arrived quickly on the first night. Service levels dropped the following two nights, with the third night’s dining experience being very poor indeed. The female in charge seemed harassed, getting the drinks order wrong, after having had to be reminded too. There was scarce acknowledgement of the error and she was brisk to the point of rudeness. There seemed to be plenty of waitresses offering people bread more than once, but a lack of direction made this dining experience poor. That said, the food was good, so it was a shame the kitchen staff were let down by waiting staff.

Breakfast was excellent and we were seated in a different room each morning. There was a good range of buffet items and the full English was of a very high standard. They served coffee in a teapot on more than one occasion, and no top-ups were offered – but on the whole it was a very positive start to the day.

This is a hotel which specialises in weddings/functions, and we had a sneaky look into the function area which looked very smart. That said, they were catering for a relatively small group of 39 during our stay and it was enough to send the head waitress into a tight-lipped spin. Our stay was mid week so it may be a very different sort of review if we’d stayed over a weekend.

Overall, I would return to this hotel, provided they were not catering for a large wedding during our stay.

Room Tip: There are no lifts, so if stairs make you grumble - choose another hotel!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple