“good location!”

Best Western York Pavilion Hotel
Ranked #23 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 14 October 2012

Walking distance to shopping and sights! Staff very helpful and friendly. Rooms need updating, but clean and nice. Breakfast served in very nice dining room! Best Westerns in UK are nicer than US! Why is that?

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,326)

Reviewed 10 October 2012

We always use this hotel for a overnight stay in York.Great for parking and walking into York takes about 30 to 40 minutes to shambles . You can catch the bus right outside the hotel.Taxi approx £7 - 7.50 only takes a few minutes.The hotel is really nice and plenty of choice for breakfast the staff are always friendly and helpful.The standard rooms are average but we upgrade with are Best Western card at no extra cost.We always find best way to book is direct with Best Western or online with hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jean M
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Stayed at the York Pavilion Hotel for my sons stag weekend.The hotel was chosen for it,s location being close to York centre.First impressions weren't very good as the reception is in a narrow hallway that was filled with guests of a wedding being held there.We had to battle our way through the wedding guests in the bar to access the stairs to our room.When booking in,I was told that my room was above the function room and to expect some noise.Some noise was an understatement ,you couldn't hold a conversation with someone In the room for the din below.The room was small and dated and didn't reflect the £100+ per night.This hotel,s main income is as a wedding venue (there were three weddings the weekend we stayed)and isn't mentioned when booking.Our group were asked to leave the bar for the wedding guests which I found unacceptable.We paid over a thousand pounds in total to stay there and as paying guests you expect to be able to use the facilities.In my opinion the hotel shouldn't take bookings when hosting weddings.To sum up,the hotel is tired and dated,expensive and mismanaged.I have stayed in many Best Western hotels,and have to say this is the worst one I have stayed in.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank DELBOY160
Reviewed 9 October 2012

We stayed 1 night and found the location and area very nice. We walked into York a good 35mins although there were buses. We were told to go the river route by the Hotel but had to abandon it as it was flooded across the path and very muddy.
The room was a little dated as I think most of The Best Westerns are and in need of changing all the fussy patterned decor and I think they should change the shower curtains for screens, but all in all we would stay again. The breakfast was good as not the usual buffet type but cooked to order and the receptionist very helpful. It also had a couple of shops and pubs around the location so you weren't a captive audience there.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2012

We got married at the pavilion, we stayed at the hotel the night before, had our ceremony there and day and evening reception and the service from the minute we arrived was excellent. Kate and Sean have been great with the plans from the moment we first looked round the venue, nothing was too much trouble and their experience in weddings really helped. Stevie was on hand to assist Kate and on the day itself ensured that all we asked for in relation to the room layout was met. All the staff were helpful and nothing was too much trouble. Rob, the master of ceremonies was with us every step of the way on the day, we didn't need to worry about a thing. Just before the ceremony Kate, rob and Sean were all there letting us know how long we had before the service, etc. the food was outstanding and the hotel itself was so clean, tidy and rooms were to a high standard. I would recommend a meal, an overnight stay and certainly a wedding at the pavilion!

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank RachelA01
Reviewed 6 October 2012

We stayed at the York Pavilion in February 2012. It is a lovely hotel and perfectly placed if you would like a days shopping in either York or at the Designer Outlet which is about 2 minutes away by car. The room was a little tired but full of character. The bathroom definitely needed an update. The staff were helpful and friendly. The only downside for me was the food. My husband loved it but I had the vegetarian option and to be honest it was the worst vegetarian food I've ever been served and I couldn't eat most of it. It was a shame as it will stop me from booking here again but like I say, my husband had the meat eaters menu and he loved it!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2012

Stayed here for one night on a business trip, location is good if driving but if you are coming by train this is not ideal you will have to spend another tenner on taxi. The lady who checked in did not mention that breakfast was included until I asked. The rooms had low ceiling and had radiator heaters so assume that there is no A/C, The room I stayed in did not have any soap in the bath but my colleague's room had probably his was an upgrade. We had breakfast which was OK, a dark haired man was taking the order for English Breakfast which was included in our price and as soon as we said Cheese Omelette he ran away from us so that we do not order anything else. Overall a different experience for me but would stay in a similar hotel if I have to.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade though my friend got it without asking...