“Great start to the New Year”

Best Western York Pavilion Hotel
Ranked #20 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 2 January 2013

This was our chosen venue for an annual get together with friends to celebrate the arrival of the New Year. Despite a very wet season and semi-flooded York, a warm welcome awaited us at this character filled hotel, 2 miles outside of the city centre, in Fulford.

We enjoyed a very generous and prompt teapot upon our arrival in a comfortable lounge, despite the attention of staff being devoted to a wedding lunch in process.

Our 5 course dinner & disco was excellent. Food was superb, service very efficient and friendly, and even the DJ was the most enthusiastic we have encountered.

This is an old hotel with a rabbit warren of staircases and corridors, but all well maintained and clean. Our room and bed was very comfortable with a good nights sleep (despite us retiring before the wedding party at the other side of the hotel !).

A very good breakfast served by cheeerful staff, despite our waitress being called out at late notice because of staff shortages.

All together a very enjoyable and memorable occasion - would definately recommend to enyone visiting York.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 27 December 2012

We had our wedding reception at the Pavilion on Friday 30 November 2012. We had an absolutely perfect day and everything went to plan. All our guests loved the Pavilion and commented on how good the food and venue was. The wedding co-ordinator Kate is very accommodating and happy to help with everything both leading up to and on the day, as is the general manager Shaun. The master of ceremonies Rob was brilliant on the day. The DJ also had some great guest feedback! The bridal suite was amazing, probably the best suite we've ever stayed in, with a big comfy bed and plenty of room and the bathroom was immaculate and very stylish. The family rooms that our other guests stayed in were also very good too. There was plenty of choice for breakfast the next morning and again the food was all very nice.

Room Tip: The bridal suite was amazing!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 December 2012

The service at this hotel is very good, and the staff are helpful and attentive. I had to move from my allocated room as it was near the boiler room and very noisy.Some of the bedrooms are rather tired decor-wise but I was moved into the "new" wing which was fine.

The public rooms are a joy - quirky and old-fashioned with a nice line in "real" fires.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor as the floors are very creaky.....
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Vivienne03
Reviewed 22 December 2012

stayed here for two nights on bed and breakfast basis. got upgraded room on arrival and stayed in frankie howerd room. the room was quite large with queen size bed and nicefully decorated. we found the staff very polite and helpful and were given times of buses etc. into york. breakfast was very good plenty of choice for both hot and cold. very well situated for getting into york by car or bus.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 December 2012

Hi all
My wife and I stayed just the one night and the hotel was packed with a wedding and Chistmas parties. We were upgraded to a feature room and it was tastefully decorated the staff were under a lot of pressure with the amount of customers in the hotel and every member we had contact with we're polite and I have no complaints the breakfast was expensive but quality
I would return again

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 December 2012

When we last stayed we had a bad room and dined out. This time we had a refurbished room and ate in. Really enjoyed the stay. The room wasn't big, but was comfortable. The staff, every one of them were brilliant. Dinner was also excellent in a cosy dining room with nice open fireplace. Starters of Chicken Liver Pate and Warmed Black Pudding Salad with a poached egg on top. Main Courses - Trio of Sausages and Mash and Pan Roast Rump of Lamb washed Down with a bottle of Nero Davola - mmmm. A good nights sleep and then a lovely cooked breakfast in a different dining room also with a nice open fireplace. Thank you and well done to everyone at the hotel. We look forward to our next stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 December 2012

York is one of my favourite cities to visit and especially now that my daughter is at the University here. This is my 4th visit to York and the Pavilion Hotel is the 4th hotel I have stayed in as I like to try a different hotel. York Pavilion Hotel is definitely one of the best in terms of character and location. It is very close to the university at Heslington, close to the city centre and close to the Designer Outlet where I like to hang out.
I must say, the front desk staff were so helpful, very polite and pleasant. The restaurant serves excellent food that my daughter and her friend were so impressed, the service was amazing! The staff were courteous and very professional. The breakfast is cooked to order so it's always fresh and tasty, something the other hotels I stayed in, didn't do. While waiting for the breakfast being cooked, you can help yourself with sliced fruits, a variety of fruit juice and cereals to choose from, you can also make toast and the tea or coffee are served to order so they're always hot. The room was good with exposed beams adding to the character of the place. And there is a free-wifi too which is a bonus for people like me who wants to keep in touch with friends while away. I booked for a twin bed because I was hoping my daughter could come and stay with me but her friend at Sheffield university came to stay with her at her university dig so I stayed on my own although I paid for two. As there was a big party happening that night, I was moved to a different room to where I was originally allocated and was given a double bed in order to be away from noise which I thought was very thoughtful. I didn't realise there was a bus to the city just outside the hotel otherwise I would have taken it, but then I didn't ask. I will definitely use the bus next time I stay here as the traffic to the city can be bad at busy times of the day. I drove to the city to pick my daughter's friend from the railway station and it took me over half-an-hour when it should only take 5 minutes.
Last time I was in York, I climbed the Minster Tower with 275 steps. It was hard work as the spiral steps are quite steep especially as you get nearer to the top but is it well worth the climb. The view when you get to the top is amazing. It will cost £6 and I recommend booking in advance.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for character and charm, although not for people with mobility problem as I could not see a lift to bedrooms upstairs.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo