“Credit to Best Western” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #23 of 46 Hotels in York
Wrexham, United Kingdom
“Credit to Best Western”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013

This hotel ticks every box, comfort, exceptional food, exceptional service and the best hotel staff we have ever met.
Room so comfortable and clean with every need,(could do with sky sports, but a little loss) and also really nice restaurants and cosy log fires, whenever in York again this will be our base.

Room Tip: Just speak to Reception thay are first class, and request room overlooking courtyard.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Irene C, Owner at BEST WESTERN York Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
Thank you for your response on TripAdvisor.

I have passed all your comments to our staff and Duty Managers.

Many thanks

Proprietor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
Exeter, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

Arrived very late after horrendous journey to find the staff had no record of the booking. He insisted on taking a credit card preauthorisation despite me having a prepaid voucher.

Room was not clean, the telephone and tv remote didn't work.

I ordered a room service breakfast for 9 and it turned up at 9.35 even after I had called I to reception from my mobile. A maid turned up and told me at 9.30 my breakfast was going to be very delayed so I took a shower and half way through it turned up. The waiter was rude because I had kept him waiting.

The breakfast was mostly cold and there was no croissants, jam or honey for the toast and the coffee tasted as thought it had been made an hour before.

When I came to check out the receptionist first wanted to charge me again for my room and then didn't know how to release the pre-auth on my card claiming that she would do it later. Finally when I got the bill it was for £18 less than I had paid so perhaps there is an accounting irregularity that needs investigating.

Overall a very poor hotel which won't be getting my custom again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your response in TripAdvisor.

I was very disappointed to read your comments and that you did not receive the standard of service that you were expecting.

Please be assured that your observations have been investigated and acted upon accordingly.

Yours sincerely

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

Spent 2 nights here with the wife, really nice polite and friendly staff, great food, rooms could be updated a bit but overall a gem of a place with a classic antique feel, will stay again if ever in york

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Irene C, Owner at BEST WESTERN York Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2013
Many thanks for your kind respone, I have passed your comments to all the staff involved during yur stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Yours sincerely

Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2013

Stayed here just last week. What to say? The hotel is beautifully quaint and artistic! The bedrooms are comfortable and clean with everything you may need. The restaurant food is beautiful and the fire in the restaurant has a beautifully romantic feel (despite the fact I was there with colleagues). Breakfast was fast and efficient (although 1 slightly undercooked poached egg) within the same restaurant we dined in, in the evening. Would I return? Definitely but this time it would have to be with my partner!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank milly2704
Irene C, Owner at BEST WESTERN York Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2013
Thank you for your response on TripAdvisor regarding our hotel.

I have passed your comments to our Chef, Duty Manager and staff.

We look forward to welcoming you to our hotel again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2013

We have just returned from a lovely 3 night stay at this hotel. It is an old building and very nicely decorated throughout with a lovely lounge and open fire. Our room was large and very pleasant although I am not sure I would have described it as "luxury" with a bed that clearly comes down from the fitted wardrobes - the lighting however is very poor with only one bedside lamp that is not bright enough to read by so all the lights need to be on making the room extremely bright and with no nearby switches we had to keep getting up to turn them off. We arrived after a heavy snowfall and there was no heating in the room - when queried we were told that the heating goes off at 7am and comes back on at 5pm because people are out during the day - rather bizarre in the middle of winter! However we were brought a heater very promptly. The breakfast was very good - the staff are extremely helpful and on the one occasion we ate in the restaurant, the food was superb. The number 7 bus service which is very close by offers cheap transport into York.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bev022
Thank you for your response on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay with us. I have taken on board your comments regarding the lighting in the room and we have addressed the issue with the heating.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Many thanks.

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013

We booked in at the Pavilion hotel in York for a weekend away from it all, just before Christmas and that is exactly what we got. I loved this hotel and we will defiantly go again. Upon arrival they upgraded our room from an apartment to the honeymoon suite and we were delighted. The room had beautiful furnishings, furniture which was aesthetically pleasing and a four poster bed which had the most luxurious bed linen and covers that made you want to snuggle down and not get out of bed. No wonder they called it the honeymoon suite! My only criticism was that the room could have done with being warmer. There is an open fire place and if they had a fire in there, like in the breakfast area, I cannot see anyone wanting to leave that room. The breakfast was one of the best that I have had in a Best Western Hotel for a long time and the staff could not do enough to help you.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julia R
Irene C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN York Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2013
Thank you for you response regarding your recent stay with us in the bridal suite. I have spoken with our House Keeping Manager regarding the heating and will make sure that heaters are provided. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Durham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2013

Its a great hotel and the staff are very helpful.... but don't expect the WiFi to work in your room. The system is completely hopeless. It must drive the staff to distraction, but of course they are too polite to say so. So, if you are there on business and need to stay connected your only choice is to make for the bar, where it does seem to work.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor and I apologise for the lack of Wifi during your stay with us. We are working with our internet providers to rectify this issue and assure you of our best attention.