“Annual Dinner”

Ranked #22 of 45 Hotels in York
UK
“Annual Dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013

We had the courtyard room for our dinner, lovely room, clean and well prepared. Food was excellent, 46 people in all and not one complaint. Extra veg provided when asked and even gravy instead of mushroom sauce was requested late but they provided. Staff were very friendly, one a little new but he really did very well.

Room Tip: Did not stay as live in York but for a party we will be back. Did not use the hotel DJ as we use our...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

So my partner booked a night away for us, Was so excited when found out we were going to york. Outside looks old & charming and ok i geuss. The room was a standard double and standard it was. Could not swing a cat so to speak The bed was basic with to stains on each side where peoples heads had been sat up i geuss disgusting! Bathroom not very clean at all and dated. The room cost £140 including breakfast which was nothing special cheep meat and the brown sauce was also disgusting. This room isnt worth any more than £80 including breakfast felt sorry for my partner paying it ''I would not of''' We have stayed in hotels for 2 nights for £140 and have been 100 times better! If you have money to throw away by all means book it. I dont mind paying high prices when i get what i pay for this was not the case. Im not in to B&Bs But would book one rather than this im so shocked they get to charge £140 for a standard stained bed double its not even in york its a good 45mins walk! Apart from the outside of this hotel everything else inside was not worth it......Not for that price tag by far!

Room Tip: Dont choose a room pay £30 more and stay inside york or book a bespoke B&B.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Irene C, Owner at BEST WESTERN York Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2013
Dear James & Becky

Thank you for your comments during your recent stay with us.

I was disappointed to read that you did not receive the standard of service that you were expecting during your recent stay with us.

I would like to offer you a complimentary stay with us and as such would be grateful if you could contact Mrs Stevie Hartley or Miss Sarah Robinson on 01904 622099 to book, subject to availability.

Propietor
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

The hotel in general is a lovely place, the staff are very helpful and polite, the enterance is well decorated and modern and everywhere is kept clean and tidy. The food was well presented, delicious and the service was great (not so great at breakfast, depending on how posh you look as to where you get seated either the nice dining rooms or stuck in the bar in the back...)

But unfortunately all these things don't out weight the bad points of the hotel... We stayed in room 33, and although the decor was a little out dated it was a charming room, very spacious and had a lovely view, the room was freezing on our arrival and took several hours to heat up. The water supply had been cut off on our arrival due to maitinence which I understand is necessary but we were left with no warning or any way of making a drink or having a wash after our journey. The worst part about our stay and the reason why I would not recommend this hotel to others is how poorely the rooms were sound proofed, because it is such an old building which makes it look like a lovely place to stay you end up compromising on things which you would expect as standard from other hotels. As soon as our neighbours checked in (we could never find out whether they were to the side or below, but we think they were below us) we could hear every single word of their conversation and every step they took on the floor boards, at night we could hear the man snoring so loudly it was impossible to get to sleep resulting in us having to move rooms at 4am, not the relaxing stay we were hoping for. It might not sound too bad and you might think you'd be able to get over it, but i can't tell you how frustrating it is to be trying to relax and not be able to over something as simple as sound proofing.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you for taking the time to respond on Tripadvisor.

I was very disappointed to read that you did not receive the standard of service that you were expecting.

Please be assured that your observations have been investigated and acted upon accordingly and I do hope you will give us another chance to offer our hospitality when you are next in the area.

UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013

Stayed many times at Best Western the room was lovely . Staff at this hotel are really friendly. Its a walk into York but we it keeps you fit!. Breakfast is great plenty of choice . taxi cost approx. £5.50 - £6.50 depending on where you get dropped off in York

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013

I hummed and hawed about whether this was a two or three point hotel - and gave them the benefit of the doubt.
My room stank of cigarette smoke, despite the hotel claiming that every room was non-smoking. Frankly that is just unacceptable and the hotel should not let out rooms until they have fixed such problems.
Then there was the "free wifi". Yes, it was free, but it didn't connect to the outside world.
The one bright spot was the breakfast which was truly excellent.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Irene C, Owner at BEST WESTERN York Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor.

I am very concerned that your room smelt of cigarette smoke when we have a non smoking policy within the hotel and the rooms are checked every day.

I have passed your comments about breakfast onto a our Breakfast Chef.

Thank you for taking the time to write to us.

Wrexham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013

This hotel ticks every box, comfort, exceptional food, exceptional service and the best hotel staff we have ever met.
Room so comfortable and clean with every need,(could do with sky sports, but a little loss) and also really nice restaurants and cosy log fires, whenever in York again this will be our base.

Room Tip: Just speak to Reception thay are first class, and request room overlooking courtyard.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your response on TripAdvisor.

I have passed all your comments to our staff and Duty Managers.

Many thanks

Exeter, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

Arrived very late after horrendous journey to find the staff had no record of the booking. He insisted on taking a credit card preauthorisation despite me having a prepaid voucher.

Room was not clean, the telephone and tv remote didn't work.

I ordered a room service breakfast for 9 and it turned up at 9.35 even after I had called I to reception from my mobile. A maid turned up and told me at 9.30 my breakfast was going to be very delayed so I took a shower and half way through it turned up. The waiter was rude because I had kept him waiting.

The breakfast was mostly cold and there was no croissants, jam or honey for the toast and the coffee tasted as thought it had been made an hour before.

When I came to check out the receptionist first wanted to charge me again for my room and then didn't know how to release the pre-auth on my card claiming that she would do it later. Finally when I got the bill it was for £18 less than I had paid so perhaps there is an accounting irregularity that needs investigating.

Overall a very poor hotel which won't be getting my custom again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your response in TripAdvisor.

I was very disappointed to read your comments and that you did not receive the standard of service that you were expecting.

Please be assured that your observations have been investigated and acted upon accordingly.