“FANTASTIC 10/10”

Best Western York Pavilion Hotel
Ranked #23 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 21 November 2013

My first visit to The Pavilion was to go to my sons' wedding on the 1st November 2013.
I'm in a wheelchair but still the staff couldn't do enough for me, I felt like a queen even if it was just for the day, but it was fantastic.
unfortunately it was raining on the day so I didn't get to go out into the ground, but from what I saw through the window they looked gorgeous. After that day I'm planning on having my own wedding there, there is no where I would rather be.
The duty manager Daniel was a star, he was there for any tiny reason that my son and his wife could think of. Honestly the tiniest thing was absolutely no problem. He really couldn't do enough for them. I fully recommend The Pavilion to anyone who wants a PERFECT and more importantly PROBLEM FREE wedding. The whole place looked stunning, the staff went out of their way to help, the food was out of this world, the whole day couldn't have been more perfect. I can't thank them enough for making my son's wedding a pleasure to attend. What a perfect day and a perfect backdrop for the wedding photographs.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,355)

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Booking experience: Terrible. Took multiple calls and emails to book a room. Central booking line and the hotel do not have an integrated system. The left hand does not know what the right hand is doing! Conflicting information from the two different booking lines. My tip would be to call the hotel direct - do not rely on the online booking system (showed no availability when there was) or the central booking line who told me the only room available was for a minimum 2 night stay. I was attending a wedding, I only wanted one night which was available but only when I spoke to the hotel directly. After two emails of complaint and two requests for a favourable booking rate and eventually there was a gesture of goodwill and a room upgrade.
On arrival: The receptionist was obviously busy and went through her "welcome speech" at such speed we hardly managed to catch any of it. Not particularly friendly or helpful. We were struggling with suit carriers and it took her forever to point out that there are hooks by the reception to help with just this type of situation.
Décor/standard of accommodation: Four poster room (very solid construction), comfortable bed. Good shower pressure. Good in room tea/coffee facilities. Nice balcony.
Breakfast: We had the continental only which was of a good standard. Good variety of choices (cereals, pastries, cold meats, yoghurt, toast, juices etc).
Reception staff in the evening and the morning of departure were more friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Easy_to_please_1969
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Stayed here with my parents last month; at the beginning of the school half term.

It was all good points and bad points...

Arrival - impressive frontage, however parking very bad. Four hours in the car to arrive at a car park where drivers have no concept of how to park (this isn't just this hotel, it's a York thing). Full up. Check in - helpful. I asked for a quiet room not facing the road. So when I looked at the room with 2 road facing sash windows, neither of which fit properly, and no double glazing, I asked to be moved. My second room was definitely quiet - the Singapore room is in the courtyard - fine but for the searchlights outside which could really do with a motion sensor. I awoke at 2am, and was half dressed before I realised what the time was.

This courtyard could be really nice - however it perpetually smells of burnt bacon, due to the kitchen which opens on to it. And you have to go via the bar to get to it. The bar that has cold and uncomfortable conservatory furniture in it.

There is a residents lounge, which has comfy chairs, and an open fire - but it needs to have someone assigned to service - the hotel could make a lot more money from people who want afternoon tea, or a G&T before dinner - as it was we sat in here for 2 hours; nobody asked us if we wanted anything, and the chinaware from a family who'd had afternoon tea sat there for the entire time.

We ate dinner one night - amongst the wedding party who surrounded us - as the bar is between the conference rooms and the dining rooms - and the food was very good.

We then had breakfast - which is chaotic and slow. Staff will take your order - but it doesn't get placed until someone else notes that you've finished your toast/pastries etc. Personally, I prefer my toast after my sausages. So does my mother, who was served a plate of scrambled egg with no toast; every other table in the room got a rack of toast - when ours finally arrived the eggs were cold, and there was no butter.

Don't get me wrong - the dining rooms are very handsome, however each one needs to have staff allocated to it, not randomly wandering and helping whoever actually manages to catch their eyes.

So yes - nice place, needs some attention to staffing.

And mega thanks to them for returning my husband's clothing that he left in the wardrobe, well over 2 weeks later :-). It only took 4 phone calls...

Room Tip: Not in the courtyard unless you are a troglodite; not facing the road unless you have earplugs.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Great hotel, we had a really lovely room with a balcony, food here was excellent, the staff were amazing, cote de beouf was amazing and the chocolate marquis was absolutely delicious, the perfect hotel, the only fault i could pick was breakfast cereal was a bit soggy, but the cooked breakfast was amazing

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We have just returned after staying here over this weekend for my birthday. The hotel was in an ideal location and the staff were all outstanding.
The room was clean and tidy, you couldn't fault it at all.
Breakfast was brillaint, both hot choices and continental.
Would recommend anyone considering visiting York to definitely consider this hotel!

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 15 November 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I know I have written a review in this hotel before, but we returned this year for our silver wedding anniversary and thought I would update you all. I think the fact we returned to the hotel says we were pleased with it the first time round, but when you revisit a place you can't help but draw comparisons with your previous experience. Well we weren't disappointed. They really made our stay very special. The service was excellent, special thanks to Dan and Jamie. The room was lovely with a huge four poster bed, we stayed in 'aunty Marjorie's' room and it had a patio door onto a balcony - just lovely with a view over one of the gardens. If I had to make one suggestion it would be that the chef grills the breakfast as opposed to frying it, but that was no biggy as there was plenty to choose from. I would recommend this hotel to anyone as it is an ideal location for getting into york and the surrounding areas. An affordable luxury treat. Thanks again to everyone and see you hopefully next year.

Room Tip: Aunty Marjorie's room has a huge four poster bed that takes up most of the room, but it is lovel...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple