“Birthday Treat???”

Best Western York Pavilion Hotel
Ranked #23 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We stayed for one night for my birthday, the room we had was spotless and the bed was very comfortable, that is about all i can say about our stay. There was a wedding taking place and the guests were all in the bar area therefore we felt out of place in our jeans and boots, we went to use a quite lounge for a drink but a wedding guest was using the room for a baby to have a sleep in.We felt the wedding was more important than other paying guests, therefore if we ever choose to use a Best Western Hotel again we would check if a wedding was taking place first.So instead of having a meal and drink in the hotel as planned we ended up walking around in the cold to find food and drink.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,357)

Reviewed 20 February 2014

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
Reviewed 18 February 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on Friday 14th and Saturday 15th February. We chose this hotel as we have stayed in the past , the last time when attending a wedding in June 2011. First of all I would like to say all the staff were pleasant and dealt with each complaint as it arose. But that didn't help the overall experience being poor.

1. The room allocated was very cold, the bathroom had a dirty toilet, cobwebs on the walls and thick dust on the towel rail. It looked like a room that had just been opened up after the winter and had not been prepared for guests.
As soon as I rang reception someone came to the room and apologised that as they were in the middle of service the room could not be cleaned then and offered an upgrade. Didn't want to stay in the uncleaned room so packed everything up and moved ( an hour before dinner). ( Light bulbs not working and cobwebs on the bathroom blind in the upgraded room).

2.At dinner we were asked for our order for all courses, but after the starter was told our choice of dessert was no longer available so another choice had to be made. We then waited for over 50 mins and when there was still no sign of the main course my husband asked why and we were told out order had been 'overlooked'. We had the main course and coffee and left. The cost of the bottle of wine and the £7.50 supplement was waived. Not a good experience and ruined the evening.

3,The next morning we went to breakfast at 8.45 to be told there was no salmon available and then when my husband picked up an individual pot of jam found it to be a used jar, half empty.

4.We had afternoon tea - and were escorted to the lounge area. There were 2 couples discussing wedding plans. After they left a young lady and her father came in to pay money towards a wedding. A planner then proceeded to go through all the plans so we are now aware of most of the details of that wedding! Not ideal for the young lady or relaxing for us.
We couldn't use the bar area as all the tables had been taken through for evening service.

5,I got a call at 4pm to say that I had asked to speak to 'Irene'. I said I hadn't and didn't know who Irene was - they said they would ring back. When they didn't ring I called reception to ask what it was about. I had been given the wrong message and it was Irene that had asked f I wanted a personal apology. I didn't as I had told the manager earlier and I hoped nothing else would go wrong.

6. When we arrived at reception on the Friday we asked for a taxi to be booked for the Saturday night. With everything that had happened I asked my husband to check at 6pm just to make sure a taxi was coming at 7pm - it had not been ordered.

7.When we checked out I asked at reception why, when we were 'allowed' £25 each off the dinner,we had to pay an extra £9.95 each, in advance, for the Valentine dinner making it £34.95 per person, when in fact the meal was only £29.95? The receptionist didn't know. So has each couple paid £10 extra if they stayed at the hotel? We were not refunded the £10.

All the above added to a very disappointing stay at this hotel. And now having read the reviews it seems a lot of the issues are not one off's.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

We were warmly greeted on our arrival at the hotel by 2 wonderful young receptionists who obviously enjoyed their job immensely and couldn't have been more helpful! On first sight the hotel appeared warm and comfortable with touches of faded grandeur from years past. Our room was similar warm and comfortable and a decent size, bathroom was small and functional. Bed and pillows among the most comfortable I've encountered! Hospitality tray was full of good quality goods including good old Yorkshire teabags and hand made biscuits! We ate dinner in the hotel on our first night which was really good my husband opted for steak and I had the warm lemon chicken salad. The menu is small but varied and there was a decent wine list. Breakfast was superb and even though the hotel was full it was not a rushed or crowded affair due to the hotel using 3 separate dining areas, again the staff were amazing very attentive and very quick service. Weather was kind our first day so we opted for the half hour walk into York centre rather than getting the bus plenty of buses go past the front of the hotel for those not wishing to walk! We couldn't take the scenic riverside walk due to flooding but it was still a scenic walk for most of the time avoiding the busy main road into York. We dined at The Plough pub opposite the hotel the second evening which was also very nice and cost less than dining in the hotel, it also had quite a varied menu, not the usual run of the mill pub grub!!! Do explore the gardens in the hotel whilst you're there they are both picturesque and have comfortable seating areas, we will definitely return to this hotel in summer when the weather is better to take advantage of the lovely outside areas.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Love the Pavilion. I have had the pleasure of visiting many times over the last 10 years and the experience is always relaxing and friendly. I would have no hesitation in recommending for both business and leisure. The only small niggle was the lack of bar facilities on this particular weekend. Normally not a problem though. Do visit, its a great place to stay - Room 2 is fab!

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
Reviewed 11 February 2014

stayed here 3 times since december , loved it , rooms spotless , staff lovely, we stayed twice in there apartments over the road and we loved them , as you can please your self and they are very relaxing and well equiped , even down to a dvd player and hi fi ......loved it

Room Tip: if you want to relax and do your own thing have a apartment over the room from the hotel , breakfast...
Reviewed 10 February 2014

The staff and public areas of the hotel were really nice so we were disappointed when we got to our room to find a very pokey, run down room with an unpleasant bathroom. The shower cubicle was thick with black mold and behind the toilet was full of cobwebs and at least 2 spiders. There was also a pubic hair on one of the teacups - not nice! There was a lot of noise from some kind of extractor for most of the night and lots of banging during the night. I'm a heavy sleeper and it managed to wake me up a good few times so really was noisy.

The next morning on check out we explained all of these things to the person on reception and although they made a note they didn't offer any kind of discount which was annoying. In short I wouldn't recommend a stay here.

1  Thank teapot_taylor
Irene C, Owner at Best Western York Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on TripAdvisor following your stay with us at the weekend and I am very disappointed to learn that you did not receive the standard of service that we pride ourselves in offering, as an independent and privately owned hotel we are constantly striving to improve the quality of our customer service. As such it is extremely valuable for us to receive feedback from our guests so that I can keep my eye on the ball.

Our Front Desk team do not have the liberty to deal directly with guest complaints, details of the cause of dissatisfaction and contact details should be taken and passed onto the manager on duty to rectify the situation as quickly as possible. I can only apologise on behalf of my staff member that this was not carried out. This issue has been addressed with all my customer facing staff.

The hotel of course as you realise is a Country House Hotel where the rooms are individual and different - some smaller and some larger. Your room was one of the more modest rooms, with the same facilities as the larger rooms - but smaller in size. What I was of course unhappy about was the quality of cleanliness in the bathroom as this is an area which I know should always be spotless. I apologise sincerely for the poor standards you experienced and
I have discussed it at length with our housekeeper this morning. When I
am checking bathrooms I always lie in the bath so I can see every nook and cranny - in future she will do the same!

I do hope that you will come back and see us again so that I can prove to you that we do offer the best hospitality in York. There really is so much to see and do in our beautiful City. When you choose to visit us do please let me know and I promise an upgrade to our best room available with my compliments.

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to give us a review - we will do better!