“best western york pavilion”

BEST WESTERN York Pavilion Hotel
Ranked #22 of 46 Hotels in York
york
“best western york pavilion”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

excellent hotel .great service and value , very friendly staff, stayed in the four poster bed and we were very impressed with the room,we will certainly be staying here again. Nice walk to the town by the river only took twenty mins, and good bus service back to hotel

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
Dartford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Very disappointed booked for the weekend and the bathroom hadn't been cleaned from the previous people and wasn't cleaned while there. Food was awful, they don't know what toast is either just a slice of or a toasted sandwich.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank vivienne c
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

I left everything including booking a hotel until the last minute, as usual. We were in a large family group travelling up to York to compete in the Triathlon and a week before found myself frantically trying to find somewhere to stay. I really didn't have great expectations of finding anywhere decent, particularly with a dog & kids and our first choice was to find a cottage or something self catering, with such a big group I didn't want a hotel!

I'd actually gone "google blind" and was totally fed up with trawling the internet looking for places to stay in York when I stumbled across the York Pavilion Hotel. I really didn’t want a hotel...

Expectations pretty low on finding a room available, I called the hotel directly and unbelievably, they had space and not only that, had rooms for dogs! I spoke to Connor on reception who was absolutely brilliant, the York Pavilion have courtyard rooms that have direct access and although dogs aren't allowed anywhere else in the hotel, these rooms were dog friendly.

On the first call, I booked a couple of double rooms including requesting an extra bed for a family room, Connor sorted it all out on the phone, talked me through my options to pay - £126 including breakfast for a non-cancellation room + £20 dog supplement and second room £126 plus a £20 extra bed supplement for the daughter.

What was also worth pointing out is that the hotel had two weddings going on that weekend, Connor explained this on my initial call, asked if that was ok and said he would try to ensure we had rooms away from the music etc. I was starting to be very impressed by the customer service... still not expecting much, rooms on the ground floor with dogs are normally pretty grotty.... two weddings that weekend, pretty noisy. I didn’t want a hotel.

The next day, I had to call and book another room. Sorted within minutes. Added to my booking. Done.

My sister then wanted to book a room (that's 4 rooms now from 3 phone calls... ). My sister made the mistake of calling the Best Western number which we think takes you to a call centre? She was told the hotel didn't take dogs so no rooms. In a panic, we called back directly and et voila, sorted - 4 x double bedrooms, 2 that take dogs. Easy. Call the hotel direct on the local number!

The hotel is situated on the main road, set back slightly, heading into Leeds - not far from Heslington University and opposite a fabulous pub (The Plough, see next review)! The car park seemed to be completely full, at least we had been given advance warning of the weddings. On further investigation, we managed to park all four cars in the car park – bonus!

On arrival, The Reception staff were brilliant, really friendly and quick to assist which made check in simple . The hotel itself is lovely, really quirky quaint and amazingly, the courtyard rooms were lovely, definitely above expectation. We had the "Head Gardner's Room" and appropriately, my sister had a room labelled "Vino Collapso" - all the doors have quirky name plaques, a lovely touch. The courtyard itself is beautiful, it has a pebbled area with greenery and patio tables leading through an archway to the car park, it also has direct access to the main hotel and bar area over and with rooms leading off a covered walkway. Our room was much larger than expected and was decorated really nicely, clean and fresh complete with a large dog bed in the corner - nice touch. The other two rooms were up in the main hotel and in the dog-free zone and were equally as lovely.

That evening we enjoyed a nice walk along the River Ouse which was a couple of minutes across the road from the hotel, beautiful location. We ate dinner at the Plough Pub over the road. Let's not forget on our return to the Hotel, the dreaded TWO WEDDINGS on the Saturday night and a busy breakfast area on Sunday - we had a brilliant night's sleep, no issues with noise, no problems with service, all good....

We were down early for breakfast at 8am all arrived together (8 couples) and ordered from the menu however there is also a full buffet on offer with all the usual continental options + fruit etc. I chose Porridge and poached egg on toast, full english for the husband. Delicious! Attentive staff, prompt service and top ups on tea when required. Perfect.

Later that morning as we were heading off to do the Triathlon, we were given the option to pay a £25 supplement to keep the rooms until 2pm which allowed us to come back, shower and take our time with check out. Again, a little touch that made a big difference to us.

In summary a really lovely hotel with fantastic customer service, in particular shout outs to Connor and Derek on reception. The hotel is Dog friendly in the Courtyard area, a fabulous location, quirky, quaint, clean and tidy. Would definitely stay here again when visiting York, without a moment’s hesitation. We’ll be back.

Room Tip: Dog friendly Courtyard rooms
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank whoopdeedoobasil
NW England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Great hotel, very nice room in the new courtyard rooms. Really clean and smart. We had the Singapore room, very impressed.

Staff were very happy to help and called us a couple of taxis and it seemed no trouble at all.

We didn't eat in the hotel but it looked like a great restaurant and we will try this next time.

Will certainly stay again, booked through hotels.com so a decent price too.

Overall very impressed.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

hotel experience was definitely not the standard I have come to expect from a Best Western. The room initially appeared clean but glancing around, it could certainly do with a good honest dusting. Cobwebs dangling from the lamps and over radiators.
My pet hate is finding people's hair everywhere and this I found in the bed, over the desks and worst of all eyelash with mascara on it in my food!! I did receive an apology and meal refund but even on the morning of me leaving while trying to grab toast there were flies in the basket of bread. OMG. Simple things like covering the food area would solve that! Those experience together with exceptionally poor WiFi coverage made my stay there unbearable.
I will never stay there again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business