“First class”

Best Western York Pavilion Hotel
Ranked #23 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

My wife booked the pavilion as a surprise for my 40th birthday. I can't recommend it highly enough. Room was very good, lovely building and surrounding gardens, etc but what really made it were the staff. They were all excellent, but I really have to single out Mike and Scott; I found them to be very attentive, friendly and were a credit to their employers. They even put up with, what I can only imagine, was a load of nonsense I was speaking at the bar after a few drinks! I was the last person there, and probably keeping them back, but it felt more like I was drinking with friends, and you can't get better than that. Thank you chaps ;-)

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,357)

Reviewed 26 May 2014

My family and I have just returned from the Pavilion Hotel in York after staying there to celebrate my father in laws 65th Birthday. Right from first contact with this hotel I was extremely impressed with the staff and how helpful they were.

We arrived yesterday afternoon and being a bank holiday it was extremely busy, however despite this the staff were great, the lady who booked us in to the hotel could not have been any more helpful. We were given our rooms 52 and 48 both were excellent very clean 48 was especially nice with a view out on to the ornate front lawn/ garden area this room was for the birthday boy as a surprise!

After booking in we went down to the bar for a nice drink and found the public areas and bar really bright, comfortable and well staffed. We had already planned to eat out in York, however if we had known how nice the hotel was we would have stayed and eaten in as the restaurant and it menu was very nice indeed.

We all had a nice evening in York but decided to return to the hotel for some drinks before turning in for the night and it was then that we found that the hotel had so many areas that you could sit and drink, you could stay in the main bar or you could sit in other areas away from the bar, we found a lovely lounge area towards the front of the hotel which was nice an private and very comfortable. The bar staff were really pleasant and polite, and so helpful.

Finally we turned in for the evening and had a great sleep the bed was extremely comfortable, I did find the room a little warm, but that was a minor issue. One thing I would like to point out is that the shower was fantastic, very powerful and easy to adjust.

This morning we woke up ready for a nice breakfast and we and the rest of our party were not disappointed. Once again it was very busy however the staff handled it in their stride providing excellent service and a really nice quality breakfast. There was a good selection to pick from ranging from cereals, dried fruit, fresh yoghurt, pastries etc, we all went for the full English which was well cooked, well presented and very tasty.

Unfortunately it was soon time to leave and once again the staff made check out simple and efficient and we were all soon off on our way home after a great stay.

I would like to thank the staff of the Pavilion Hotel for a fantastic experience and for making our stay so nice. I would definitely recommend this hotel as an ideal place to stay if you are visiting York I don't think you will be disappointed.

Once again thank you!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Arrived Friday evening around half 6, running late due to traffic. Derek greeted us very politely and couldn't do more including ordering us a taxi into down for half 7!!! The room we stayed in was 42 with a 4 poster bed! Room was gorgeous, felt very comfortable and the bed was excellent! I proposed to my girlfriend here and couldn't have wishes for a nicer place!!! Such a beautiful hotel with grey staff.... 10/10! Thankyou Derek for making out stay

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 24 May 2014

This hotel was very reasonably priced, £72 including breakfast. Bed was reasonable but not great. As the building is old, it exuded character, but with character comes creaky floors and visual signs of age. Breakfast was good and staff were friendly and helpful. The shower was hot and fierce, just what was needed to wake you in the morning.
There was a park and ride bus stop outside the hotel, very good for getting into York City centre.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Average hotel with pleasant, but ultimately, unhelpful staff. We reported problems with the TV twice and while a quick repair was promised it never happened. Though the rooms appear nice the walls are thin and the floor boards creak badly so don't expect a peaceful night's sleep. Our window wouldn't stay open so the room could get hot and stuffy at times.
Although my wife is a smoker she did not smoke in the room and she was never accused of doing so during our stay. However after checkout we were posted a letter saying that there was a smell of smoke in the room (possibly off her clothes) so our credit card had been debited with £100 as a fine. They have refused to back down and we are considering legal action against them. Be warned, pre authorising a credit card seems to be license for them to take what they want, legal or otherwise.
We have stayed in dozens of non smoking hotels over the years and have never before been accused of smoking in the room or of effectively lying. It is not a pleasant experience. In the case of a hotel versus a guest it seems might is right..

Room Tip: If you must stay here pick a room on a high floor so all creaking floor boards are below you.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank James H
Reviewed 22 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Booked on last minute to attend a course in York. The staff were friendly as soon as I walked thru the door, explained everything, booked me a taxi for the morning. Could not have asked for more.
The room was lovely, comfy, with lovely hot shower. Just what i needed after my journey!
After my night out and returning late, 1am , the night porter was friendly and helpful.
Breakfast was good, freshly cooked and nice fresh coffee.
What a gem !