“Dont bother”

Best Western York Pavilion Hotel
Ranked #22 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 20 September 2010

We stayed at this hotel as a result of a gamble with last minute secret hotels. This for those of you that dont know is where you pay your money and take a chance. I hadn't done it before and wouldnt again.
We were given a small double at the back of the hotel which was clean and simply furnished. The water provided a luke warm bath and the shower head so close to the wall that I was glad I wasnt any larger as my front would have remained dry.
We decided to have a drink in the bar which lacked any soft furnishings to encourage those to linger. This bar area doubled as the over spill area for breakfast which it more aptly suited being light and airy with a colonial feel with orangery style roof light.
Our deal included a cooked breakfast and we arrived 40 minutes before the end of service. The cold section was lacking and having elected to miss this and go straight for the full English ... doesnt everyone ? I found the provision of half a slice of black pudding most preculiar, had the chef eaten half, was I rationed as my size 14 dress fitted or is that normal ? The bacon had glanced at the pan and looked like my Scottish friend with sunburn ( if you like it cooked best specify ) the hash brown had obviously been hanging around a while, the four button mushrooms tinned ? need I say more .... choose a different breakfast. As for the nights sleep ... the hotel was stifling so we turned the radiator off and opened the window an inch only to be kept awake by what was probably an extractor of sorts going all night.
In saying all this, the staff were polite and there were enough of them. Maybe the other rooms were nicer but this certainly didnt lend itself to romance. Good luck

1  Thank Ninapup

Reviewed 19 September 2010

Our room was of a good size but could hav done with a refurb as it was tired. The staircase leading to our room was threadbare in places. The bed was very comfortable, and the room was clean. ALL the staff we encountered were very friendly, pleasesd to help and all asked if we were alright. We saw our friends room which was in the newer part of the hotel. It was adequate and our friends said there was no problems. The outside public spaces were beautiful. The breakfasts were very good. The memory we shall take from this hotel was the wonderful staff, Don't be put off by the tired room comment, i would go again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 September 2010

Stayed 1 nigh BB friendly staff clean and comfortable plus with parking to rear.

Reviewed 10 September 2010

Great four nights, looked after splendily from the time we got there. Food exceptionally good, breakfast buffet choice extensive, plus good cooked breakfast. We were moved to a larger room which was lovely. All staff very friendly and helpful.

Reviewed 4 September 2010

I can't say enough about this hotel - we stayed there for 3 nights then went back a week later for my son's wedding. I have nothing negative to say. The staff are amazing - nothing is too much trouble. The food is excellent and always hot. The wedding was so relaxed (again, the staff were attentive and really friendly) and every detail was perfect. I will always use this hotel when in York and for special occasions.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2010

First of all - absolutely awful breakfast, had scrambled eggs w/smoked salmon which was microwaved eggs with cold salmon on the side (!!?). Asked for hash browns which never came . . .

As for the room: we asked for a room with a four poster bed. Were led to a room with its own landing, which was nice in theory except the light (which we couldn't find the switch for) leaked into our room, meaning the bulb had to be taken out at night. On opening the door I was momentarily excited when I thought we were upgraded to a suite - how wrong was I! . . .. turned out the door I thought led into a 'lounge area' was in fact our bathroom which was bigger, yes BIGGER than the main room!!!! This will give an indication to the size of the bedroom. View was of the side of a wall. Room was very dark. Bed quite uncomfortable.

All in all a very uncomfortable stay with an awful breakfast. Would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank FatherToddUnctious
Reviewed 6 August 2010

We have stayed at this hotel before and always enjoyed our stay. Our room was lovely, a good size, but unfortunately at the front of the hotel, so a lot of traffic noise. However, we booked it on-line at a good rate, so no major complaints.

We like the location. It is not far from the bypass to go to Scarborough, Bridlington or elsewhere. You can drive into York very easily and we did in the evenings, but during the day it's best to use the bus (frequent service), just across the road, or maybe walk as other reviewers have done.

For some reason I had problems with WIFI. The Hotel staff tried hard to help solve the problem, but in the end lent me a cable to plug in for direct broadband.

There is a small cosy lounge where you can sit and relax and read.

We had one evening meal at the Hotel. It was very good and a special meal deal, so good value too although the service was slow. Breakfasts were very good and the staff friendly and helpful.

Throughout our stay, the staff were always friendly and ver helpful.

I would have liked to see freeview or satellite on the TV, rather than just channels 1-5.

Overall, very good, we will go back.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple