“Factual, fun and genuine York bloke!”

Trevor Rooney's Ghost Tour of York
Ranked #27 of 59 Tours in York
More attraction details
Owner description: Trevor Rooney's first and famous ghost walks established in 1980 will take you on a one hour tour through York telling you tales of ghosts and history. You will not be disappointed.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Northumberland
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Factual, fun and genuine York bloke!”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Have been coming to York for years and have been meaning to 'do' one of the many ghost walks on offer and eventually got around to it with Trevor. It is obvious that he is extremely knowledgable about York and it's general history and most importantly he shows a passion for his city. Whilst telling a good story he makes it engaging and interesting which on some tours is sometimes not the case. Very good value and certainly recommend the tour to anyone who wants to get down the side streets and dig a little deeper than you normally find out about.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Gordon-Joanne

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
80 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Scary Stuff”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

First did this tour with Trevor Rooney about 20 years ago was great then and just as good now,experienced other York ghost walks but this one was the scariest one of all ,great that this walk is still so popular

Oxford, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Not what I was expecting”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

My husband and I went on this ghost tour by accident - we were waiting for another one and got picked up by Trevor, it was not until later we realised we were on the wrong one. Having been on one of these before in Oxford my eyes were open to the fact that we probably were not going to see any ghosts and that it would be mostly theatrical.

Trevor is certainly an interesting man, having lived in York all of his life he knows a lot of facts and a lot of people...what he doesn't have is a lot of ghost stories. I am not saying I didn't enjoy the walk, because I did, it was interesting but I cant help feel he should pitch it more as a historic walk than a ghost walk. He didn't seem to pitch it from the theatrical, make you jump kind of angle but neither did he back up his stories with many facts or details, at no point on the tour did I think he really knew about ghosts, therefore you don't get what is advertised.

At £6 each he is also £2 more expensive than the ghost walk we were supposed to go on and does you a favour at the end by just asking for a fiver. The ghost walk was meant to last around 60 - 70 minutes but actually lasted about 2 hours which you could say is good value for money but by the end we were cold and had enough....it was also a bit strange walking through the ask restaurant full of people to go and look at a room where there was supposedly a well where 1000 sets of teeth were found.

Visited May 2014
Selby, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Seems like a nice guy, but uninformative and hardly any ghost stories!”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

It's a shame to leave a bad review but honestly I wouldn't go on this ghost walk again. It claims to be theatrical and original. His hat was pretty theatrical - he, sadly, was not. Trevor spent at least half the tour 'showing off' about his own tour, compared to other ghost walkers, and his education - rather than just get on with it and telling some stories!! Most of what he told us was readily available info on the plaques he was stood next to. He also said dubious statements like 'Guy Fawkes was given £7,200 to help with the gunpowder plot, which is inequitable in money these days'...well, its hard to be very accurate, but its around 1.5 million, maybe a bit more, not more than 2.5 million. I know this as a amateur history enthusiast, so it was a bit disappointing to find this an who claims to have studied history for 34 years to have not even looked up conversion rates. I think only 2 ghosts were mentioned in the entire tour. All in all if you have a spare bit of money in York, it would be better spent visiting Fairfax house or the merchants hall.

40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Entertaining. Would recommend.”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Went on the tour last night. Was so informative and Trevor included lots of historical information too. The stories were memorable and so interesting that me and my partner went back today to some of the locations that Trevor took us too. Would recommend.

1 Thank Grace W