“Don't stay here to visit York”

York Marriott Hotel
Ranked #36 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 19 July 2011

I stayed in three Marriotts during a recent visit to the UK and the York Marriott was by far the worst of the three.

Location
The hotel is fifteen minute walk to York. It is a fifteen minute walk to the edge of the old part of the city and another 15 minutes into the main part. There is good bus service outside the hotel but at $5.00 per person it adds up. Taxi service from the city of train station is easy to get but waited over 30 minutes on Sunday for a cab from the hotel to the train station.

Hotel
This is a dated, smoking hotel. Even though there are non smoking rooms the rooms are on the same floor as smoking rooms so the smell just permeates. Also, while there is no smoking in the common areas or restaurants the designated smoking area is right outside the main door so you have to go through the "ring of cancer" every time you go in and out.

Absolutely horrible. It started on arrival when the front desk clerk tried to tell me that I had reserved a king smoking room. I showed her the reservation that clearly said "non-smoking" but ended up having to take a double room because there were no King non-smoking rooms available. My room wasn't ready (that's okay) but I asked to have my luggage held so I could go into York. The clerk said "fine" and gave me a ticket. I went into the restaurant to get something to drink and twenty minutes later came out to find my luggage still sitting out in the open. No one was paying attention and anybody could have just picked it up and walked off.

Then there was the tale of the bathrobe. I had asked to have a bathrobe available as I had just finished the coast-to-coast walk. I made the request prior to arrival and then when I checked in. I was told no problem. Returned to the room and no robe. Called down--told that every robe was in use (sure. . .) but that a robe would be put in my room the next day. Came back the next day in the early evening. No robe. Called down again--assured robe would be delivered--then told every robe was in use.

The service in the restaurant was equally bad. Breakfast was included which was good because I wouldn't have paid for what was provided. Had to practically beg on my knees for a glass of water and another pot of coffee. Plates and glasses were spotted and in some cases still had food particles.

There is absolutely no concierge service. There is a bell person but he just stood around and never offered to help anyone. Getting accurate information was absolutely impossible. I ended up going into one of the hotels in the city and pretending to be a guest so I could get information.

Others in our group stayed in hotels in York including the Best Western and the Hilton. Both much better options.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank murphykds
Write a ReviewReviews (1,984)

Reviewed 13 July 2011

We stayed here for 4 days and the staff and the facilities were absolutely first class. The General Manager was always present and could not have been more pleasant. A great ambassador to the company

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank pumble18
Reviewed 12 July 2011

I stayed here for both business and with my husband and 13 month old daughter. When I explained to the Receptionist that I would be leaving them on Monday morning to attend a meeting, she arranged a late check out and for them to use the spa facilities without any question. The excellent level of service was such a breat of fresh air.
We had a large family room with the most wonderful kingsize bed. Our daughter had a cot pre arranged and it was beautifully presented with a little coverlet inside. The room was spotless and beautiful.
I would definetely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Lotte32
Reviewed 12 July 2011

Stayed for a long weekend in July, had room upgraded so we had balcony and race course view.

Free parking is a bonus. Reception is as you would expect from a Marriot and staff really friendly. Room clean, large and classy but starting to show its age.

If wanting to explore York the hotel is to far out to walk to city centre, at least 25 mins. There is a bus service that runs across the road, and a day saver ticket will cost about £3.

Leisure facilities are good, although the pool is quite small. Breakfast was good, lots of choice and dining area really nice.

All in all a good hotel but not quite to the standard of other Marriots. Would stay again, although if I could get a good deal on a more central hotel I may re-consider.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 1979mb
Reviewed 11 July 2011

We picked this hotel as it's is very close to the racecourse. We were attending my University Summer Ball at the Racecourse and wanted a short walk back to the hotel after dancing the night away!

There is an uphill track off the racecourse which leads you to the side of the hotel. Thank goodness that that there had been no rain as we could imagine that if it had been raining, it wouldn't of been a pleasent walk.

The hotel room was nice and clean. We had a view of the car park which was a little disappointing. Although, when booking we decided not to book a racecourse view due to the little time that we was going to be spending in the room.

We did not use the leisure facilities or restaurant so cannot comment on these. The gym looked really busy when we arrived.

Negative - We could hear doors slamming quite often as the walls are quite thin. Maybe if other guests had more consideration too, then it wouldn't be a problem.

Other reviews mentioned not being able to get parked. We managed to get parked but we could see how this could be a problem with the limited spaces.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shartone
Reviewed 10 July 2011

The room was nice enough and the bed was very comfortable. Breakfast had a nice selection of food. The hotel was very busy with a wedding and it was also race day which made the hotel very hectic. I was led to believe the hotel was 5 mins from the racecourse but we had to get a taxi round to it and it cost £6.50! Overall I thought £245 a night was quite pricey for this average hotel.

Room Tip: room 929 has a patio and garden.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2011

We found the York Marriott a pretty old hotel adjoining a lovely park right by the racecourse. Check-in was pleasant and quick with a charming helpful front-desk clerk. The room was pleasant and very comfortable.
Since everything else was so geared toward guest comfort, I'm not quite sure why the dining room falls so very far short of Marriott standards. Obviously different countries have different customs and expectations, but one comes to expect that at certain hotels the customer service will be at least adequate.
We dined out our first night in York, but we were in for a rude awakening when we went down to breakfast the first morning. There was no sign indicating whether or not we should wait to be seated, and no one nearby to tell us, so we proceeded into the dining room only to be halted by a brusque young woman who bellowed at us from across the room demanding to know our room number, then marched over with an irritated air and led us to a table. She was also our server. She brought us a lovely pot of hot coffee in a French press, very prompt, but then stalked off without another word. We figured that the breakfast buffet must have been our only option, so helped ourselves to a very nice selection of breakfast foods. Our waitress never reappeared to check on us, so I had to get her attention to get more coffee, and the cream that I prefer with it. Then we had to chase her down again to get our check.
That night we decided to dine in at the bar, and it was worse yet. Once again we weren't given any indication as to how the seating arrangement works, so we asked a young man behind the bar. He took us to a dirty table, got our room number before taking our order, brought us drinks and started to leave again without even cleaning our table. We stopped him and asked for menus (which should have been superfluous since we had told him we were there for dinner) and he brought us menus and never returned.
Never returned.
We finished our drinks at our dirty table and went back to our room, where we ordered room service which was both good and prompt, and, I'm happy to say, delivered by a gentleman who was pleasant and courteous.
The next morning we had a better idea what to expect at breakfast, and our server this time was much more friendly. But once again she never came back to check on us, and we had to ask another server passing by to bring us more coffee.
It's a pity the dining room service was so lax that it overshadowed the rest of our mostly enjoyable stay in a lovely hotel. I strongly suggest that the hotel management insist on Marriott, not local, standards for their dining staff.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple