“Great Hotel - We'll be back!”

York Marriott Hotel
Ranked #34 of 46 Hotels in York
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel - We'll be back!”
Reviewed 22 August 2011

We'd last been to this hotel 8 years ago and it still lives up to standards. The staff are friendly and helpful, advising about the city and region as well as the hotel facilities. Our room was huge and very comfortable. My 8 year old daughter had a double sofa bed which was just as comfortable as the main bed. We were able to use the empty mini bar as a fridge which was a huge bonus.

Breakfast was plentiful and although we didn't use the restaurant for our evening meal, the bar meal and the area it was served in was very nice.

The gardens at the back were lovely and we enjoyed the indoor pool.

Room Tip: Some rooms have balconies which overlook the racecourse - These are at a supplement.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2011

3 of us shared a room, 1st room was not big enough, but they moved us to a suite which was fine.
Rooms were very clean....
Breakfast was lovely. Good quality food.
Hotel was brilliant atmopshere with the races, and staff were more than welcoming to everyone.
Ready to book again for next year!!!
Thank you to all staff!!!!
(little moan at price of room for festival!!)

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank vsln
Davis, California
Reviewed 18 August 2011

Stayed at the Marriot hotel in York for 1 night during my tour of the Great Britain. My room #154 was a very nice spacious king bed room. Bed was very firm and beddings were clean. Bathroom was very nice too. I had dinner at Chase Bar and Grill restaurant, food were very delicious. Breakfast was plentiful and the first class quality. The swimming pool looked very nice but I did not try it since it was near the closing time when I got there. My staying was shot but I enjoyed it very much.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 17 August 2011

The room was very large with 2 double beds, tea/coffee facilities (with cookies) and an empty fridge (very convenient to store your own drinks and food). The bathroom is quite big too but taking a shower is not easy when you are tall. Furthermore, the shower is in fact in the bath and it’s not large enough so you keep banging the wall when moving. Towels were not 100% white and very hard. Housekeeping is extra slow: despite we left our room around 9H30 every day, it was never ready before 15H or even 16H, something we could not understand as the housekeepers were near to our room when we left + we hung the “please refresh our room” sign each time we left. Internet access is very expensive (6 GBP for 1 hour) and no wireless in the room making it impossible to connect when you have an iPad … On the + side, there are more than enough towels. They should also change the TV as other reviewers said and place a LCD or LED one with more channels. Our room was on the first floor, overlooking the parking, and it was quite a long journey to get to the room. The hotel was really quiet but the doors of the room awfully bang when closing, so hope that you don’t have neighbours coming back in the middle of the night. The breakfast is not the best I ever had in a Marriott, coffee not good at all, sugar and milk missing from our table, I would not pay for it as I don’t think that it’s worth the price they ask but it was included in our rate. Orange juice, as an example, is not freshly done and we would have expected better quality from a Marriott hotel. There is a pool, we did not try it so I have no comment on it. The hotel is not in the city center so you will need to take the bus for about 7-10 minutes. (numbers 4, 12, 13 as an example). You can buy a 1-day ticket on First for 3,70GBP but if I had to go back to York I think that I would book a hotel in town.

Room Tip: If you want to have your room cleaned when you come back in the early afternoon, ask the housekeepin...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
chelmsford essex
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We have just returned from a 2 night stay and sadly will not be returning to this Marriott hotel. I believe it falls well short of the 4* luxury standard it promises. We were initally given 2 rooms both of which we rejected. Broken toilet seat minus toilet lid in the first room and generally the room was not clean. The 2nd room was dirty, hairs on the bathroom floor and the toilet rim dirty. We did a quick repair to the shower hose which was loose and spraying water everywhere and the bathroom floor was greasy. We unpacked and sat on the bed only to discover the duvet cover was badly ripped and very careworn and pillows dirty, more hairs in the bed! We complained to reception who in between moving us from broken toilet room to new room had issued the first room to another couple, very embarrassing when they walked in as we were moving out!! We waited to speak with a manager,Julia who was very helpful and understanding. We are not complainers and she agreed the rooms were not up to standard and moved us to a Grandstand room. A big improvement however there were issues even in this upgraded room. I really cannot understand why the bed linen is so old and has not been replaced, the bed itself is very comfortable but again our duvet was ripped in places. I appreciate the hotel was very busy and I felt sorry for the staff who were trying hard to cope. Breakfast was packed and a tight squeeze but the food itself very plentiful and good quality. Rooms aside the hotel looks very tired and has a musty smell some of the lifts are really shabby and it all needs a lick of paint and some TLC Finally I would expect modern TV and free WI Fi in a 4* as standard
We have stayed in many Marriotts home and abroad but we wont be returning to York Marriott sorry

Room Tip: grandstand rooms a lot better than the standard room with lovely racecourse view
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sharon9301
NEWMARKET
Reviewed 14 August 2011

I'd have given the hotel a 4 1/2 star review anyway based simply on the quality of the room, comfort of the bed, quantity of the breakfast etc, but what bumped it up was the way the one problem we had with our room was dealt with.

As soon as we mentioned the strange hummng noise to the girl on reception, she was immediately understanding and helpful, even coming all the way up to our room when we found the noise difficult to explain. Without any further fuss she immediately arranged an upgrade and kept us informed about the nature of the problem..

Some might say that the fact the original room had a problem would mean this place shouldn't get a 5 star review, but the fact is unexpected events do happen in hotels and it is the speed and efficiency with which these events are dealt with that is the true test of a hotel's quality.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Newtownards, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2011

Having stayed in quite a few Marriott hotels over the years I liked the reliabilty of their brand. I have stayed in Copenhagen, Waltham Abbey & Ashbourne near Dublin and couldnt have been more satisfied during my stays there. I certainly found the reception staff very helpful and accommodating but was not impressed with the ambience of the hotel. Although the hotel is older than any other Marriott hotels I have stayed in, it could have been better. The interior especially the corridor area had the atmosphere of a nursing home. The family room was quite big it slept myself my wife and 3 boys. But it was like a hotel from the 80s, not bright and airy like most other Marriotts. The air-conditioning didnt work well and the shower area was basic with a flimsy old shower curtain. The breakfasts were just ok. I found the staff here quite morose. The atmosphere wasnt great either. We didnt eat here for lunch or dinner instead we ate at Rustique, a French restaurant in the city centre. This was excellent. A meal here cost £11.95 for 2 course or £13.99 for 3 courses, which included steak. Back to the Marriott. The swimming pool was inadequate a 10 meter pool which felt overcrowded with 5 people in it. Changing rooms were freezing. I really hate to be so negative about this hotel as most of my experiences with Marriott have been positive. I hope that they can spruce things up here for the benefit of future guests. As for me I wouldnt rush back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family