“Pleasant stay with a few small oversights.”

York Marriott Hotel
Ranked #36 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 18 October 2012

We stayed at the York Marriott as a last-chance break before our baby arrives. The hotel itself was lovely, with great facilities and very accommodating staff. The reception area was beautiful, and really helped us get a feel for the hotel's quality...or so we thought until we got to our room. On first glances, it looked like a perfectly reasonable room, with everything you would expect from a 4 star hotel, however, as we spent more time there, we became aware of quite a few minor problems. Firstly, the bathroom door handle was not attached to the door very well with the screws visible and a cm gap. It was also very wobbly so i was a little worried it might fall off. The sliding wardrobe door didn't close properly as it was slightly wonky in the frame. The towel rack above the bath was also very loose, with the coverings for the screws completely detatched. We found a pubic hair on the tiles in the bathroom, at the opposite end to the taps, right up by the ceiling, no idea how that got there?! Our bin had no bag in it, and the bin itself was very dirty inside, and didn't smell very nice. One of the light bulbs on the bedside lamp wasn't working. And finally, the in-room fridge was not clean, there were noticeable traces of food and crumbs left in, and it was particularly stinky. General maintenance and cleanliness of rooms should be considered with a little more detail. A separate issue for us was the noise in the hotel room. When other people were using their showers, sinks and flushing their toilets, the noise of the drains and water running away was quite irritating. It wasn't overly loud, but was noticeable over the TV. When we were trying to sleep we could hear the drains until 2am (presumably when the last person nearby went to bed) and it started again around 5am (when people started getting up) and it led to a very disrupted nights sleep. Any grumpiness from a bad night's sleep was dispersed when we went for breakfast, it was delicious (with the exception of the scrambled eggs that tasted of nothing and were the consistency of wallpaper paste). There was a large breakfast selection, with the choice of cereal, fruit, yoghurt, meat and cheese, toast, croissants, muffins, and a full cooked range (amongst lots that i have forgotten). Between us both we tried everything, it was definitely worth the price! The breakfast room was of a very high standard, and we were extremely impressed. On check-out, we were hoping to be able to air our concerns to the reception staff regarding the room, however the one member of staff that was there (there had been 2 at every other time we passed or used reception) was clearly very busy and didn't speak to us, except to say 'thanks' when we gave her our card, we would have appreciated the chance to give feedback. Overall we enjoyed our stay, despite the condition of some parts of the room.

Room Tip: Avoid being next to drains!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,001)

Reviewed 15 October 2012

WE go to York races a couple of times a year and the past few times we have stayed at the Marriot.
Its a bit out of town but great location for the race course. This time we went back to the hotel for a drink and food but previously we went in to York for the evening and need to get taxis as its too far to walk.
We arrived at 11.00am and were checked in even though offical check in is after 3.00pm.
Reception was polite and efficent.
Rooms were OK and clean. This time we had a view of the carpark but previously over the race course.
Bar area nad restuarant quite pleasant. We didn't use the spa and pool area but looked OK as we walked past.
In the morning we had breakfast in bed rather than go to the restaurant. It arrived on time and the Full English was good.
Only down side is the cost. Very expensive for room and drinks in bar. If money is no object and your going to the races then its probably the best hotel.
Would we stay here again. Yes next year when we go racing but no if we were visiting York.

1  Thank HollySK
Reviewed 14 October 2012

Stayed here for my birthday and what a treat it was, the hotel backs on to York racecourse and our room had a view of the racecourse, fantastic. We had a slight problem when checking in as they were trying to take extra money from my credit card without bothering to tell me when I was standing at the check in desk. Other than that everything was great. They were busy doing renovations to the hotel entrance when we arrived which I hadn't been notified of but we didn't let that bother us, breakfast was great, plenty of choice and restocked regularly to keep it fresh. I didn't have that much interaction with the staff but they seemed fine. Drinks were pretty expensive but I guess that's just York, about £8 for a small glass of rose and a pint. Slight word of warning about the minibar in the room, it's one of those where if you remove the things from the fridge it is charged to your bill which we weren't told about so don't take them out and look. We used the pool and it was clean and well kept as was the sauna and steam room. Location of this hotel is ok by car but I'm unsure how it would be by public transport.

Room Tip: Ask for a view if the racecourse.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mycrazylife88
An EasyToBook.com traveler
York
Reviewed 13 October 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank An EasyToBook.com traveler
Reviewed 13 October 2012

I stayed at this hotel whilst attending a training seminar in one of their business suites. Whilst this hotel is not the most luxurious I have ever stayed in, I cannot fault any aspect of their facilities or service.

Firstly, as a business guest I was impressed by the services afforded to myself and other attendants. The drinks and snacks served during the breaks was of the highest quality and very varied, ranging from miniture steak pies to American style pancakes. The room was adequate for our needs, although, whilst I personally did not experience this, some attendants found it a little cold.

The rooms in this hotel were of a standard premium hotel quality, no surprises but no disapointments either. The hotel facilities are of a good standard, with a 'spa'-style swimming and sauna area, beauty salon, bar, restaurant etc. Having walked into York city centre (around 30 mins, but very simple to get to) on the evening I cannot comment on the quality of the bar, but it did appear to be very popular.

The restaurant at this hotel served lunch on both days I was there, and I have to say that this was my hotel highlight, as both were excellent. A hot buffet lunch was served, with a huge variation of starters, mains (including vegetarian, pasta, fish and meat), and deserts served. However, what sets this apart from most other hotel lunch services is the use of a 'live station'. Here a miniture open kitchen is used to provide individually cooked dishes such as risotto. The same station was used at breakfast to provide individually cooked omlettes, however these, in my opinion, are on the pricey side (~£9). Breakfast is the traditional English affair, but I would have no complaints over it.

My final comment, which is often overlooked, is the quality of the staff at this hotel. At every turn I found someone available when required, without impossing when not. Upon check in, check out and whenever I approached the main desk I was offered freshly baked cakes or pastries. Whenever I had a question it was welcomed with a smile and a helpful response. It is mainly for this reason that I would recommend this hotel over other similar chains in the area, and I would certainly stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: Around 10 rooms have balcony views over York Racecourse, however are a long (and sometimes confusing...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank captainkrunchy
Reviewed 11 October 2012

Located about 2 km from the City Centre, this hotel is in an exclusive neighbourhood next to the racecourse and surrounded by some grand houses of mainly Georgian style. It takes about 20 minutes to walk to the city centre which we did on the first night. But on the following day, we decided to drive and park at the National Railway Museum carpark for the whole day at GBP9.50.

We met the most friendly and helpful staff at the reception, of our entire trip in the UK - Elizabeth's great sunny deposition and helpfulness made us felt very welcome. Check-in and check-out process was a breeze.

Parking at the hotel is free throughout our 2 nights stay.

The rooms are tastefully decorated but housekeeping hasn't been thorough. Found a used asthma inhaler under the bed while doing push-ups. Stains were found on tea spoons and mugs at the minibar. No bedroom slippers are provided like in hotels in Asia.

We all unanimously agree that the beds are very comfortable in both our rooms

Breakfast room faces the racecourse and decorated in horseracing theme. Food and beverages provided are adequate. However, cleaniness standard of the dining wares seem to be lacking again. Several plates at the egg station are found to have food stain and the nice Filipino cook at the egg station was apologetic and made an attempt to take them to the back of the house and brought out another lot which found to have crumbs on them.

A long queue is usually found at the toast station as the toaster wasn't set hot enough and breads need to be toasted twice in order to get the desired result.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank reddot-conquersworld
Reviewed 9 October 2012

After booking a room at this hotel, I was very worried after reading negative comments on this website. But my partner and I went ahead and stayed at Marriott Hotel few nights ago whilst taking my daughter to the University. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was, contrary to the bad comments on here. The room was large with a lovely view and a king size bed with cushions and pillows so comfortable we slept so well. The towels were very clean and the room was neat. We had a 3 course evening meal which was excellent and the breakfast was good too. It was a pity we didn't have time to use the spa but perhaps we will next time. Overall, this was a very nice hotel, we'll definitely come back here again.

2  Thank Myrna K