“DISSAPOINTING FOR MARRIOTT'S STANDARDS!”

York Marriott Hotel
Ranked #34 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 20 November 2012

We visited The Marriott Hotel for a family wedding and was really excited to be staying there. On arrival I noticed at the side of the main entrance was the pool with an almost clear window where a rather large swimwear attired man was sitting on a chair reading a newspaper not a pretty sight. The reception area was not very impressive or tidy. We had to wait for our room to become available so had a trip into York, a number 4 bus stops just outside the main gate goes striaght into town. We were put in room 301 not impressed very dated and cold, infact i've been in a Premier Inn better than this. We were awaken by scaffolding being erected at the side of our window early the next morning which we hadn't been told about and breakfast was a queueing nightmare. Once seated we couldn't raise a smile or a curtious word from the staff, but the breakfast selection was excellent had to ask a few times for the coffee. Its a convient place when the races are on but for the price of a room I'd choose to stay in a guest house down the road.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 November 2012

Stayed for a one night Spa break in November so will list my positives and negatives below.

Positives :-

Hotel staff very good and couldn't do enough to help the guests.
Location good

Negatives :-

Rooms tired and could do with an upgrade
Food and drink very expensive
Gym and pool not up to much and as this was a spa break bit of a problem

First experience of a Marriott Hotel and must say it was a bit of a disappointment, far too expensive for what we received.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 November 2012

Fantastic location and good room, and nice facilities, clean and tidy, we had a good night sleep in the comfortable room, really good stay with family, staff very attentive and friendly. will definitely stay here again and recommend to others.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 November 2012 via mobile

Rooms need to be updated. Furniture past its prime, wallpaper peeling off wall. Service overall is very good. Location is great if you don't want to be in downtown York, if you want to be close you have a good 25 to 30 min walk.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 13 November 2012

i stayed here with 2 friends for 2 nights over a weekend. 1 drove and it is free parking - the other got the train and it was a short taxi ride away from the station - around 5 mins or so.

check in staff were absolutely lovely - couldnt do enough for us.

after arriving quite late on the friday we decided to eat in the chase bar and grill in the hotel itself. there werent many tables available till after 9pm which suited us so there wasnt much of an atmosphere but this didnt matter. the waitresses didnt seem to have that much knowledge and had to check with management on a couple of our queries but they were friendly enough. the food and wine however were gorgeous! really pleased.

our room was a bit of a trek from reception but the 3 of us were able to stay in 1 room which was perfect. it overlooked part of the racecourse and also with it being a way from reception and on a lower floor it was incredibly quiet.

didnt eat breakfast in the hotel so cant comment. but i do think this hotel is in a great location. its about 15 minutes to walk into town which is perfect for it to be peaceful at night, have free parking yet not have to get taxi's if you can be bothered to stroll into town.

we did all have treatments at the Marriott spa here - it was amazing! the girls who did the treatments were fabulous, i highly recommend! the spa itself is also quite nice, but the jacuzzi was only luke-warm. we did mention this to the spa staff and they said they had recognized there was a problem and were dealing with it.

checkout was very easy and the reception staff had called us a taxi that was needed - all very smooth and with big smiles and lovely service.

would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: rooms overlooking the racecourse are lovely - for peace and quiet - further from reception and a low...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Considereing the anticipated status of this chain, we came home very non-plussed about the Marriott, York.
It is big, with long impersonal corridors, which isnt fun when trying to get to grips with the strange numbering of the rooms (ground floor numbers actually being split over two floors) We walked miles, it seemed. Room was well equipped although, as with most hotels, there were shabby details which would have benefitted from attention. Bed very comfortable for me but husband found it too hard, but this is always a personal issue in any hotel.
Such a shame about the shrivelled complementary apples- would hate to think how long houskeeping thought they might be able to fob them off as fresh for!
Our main gripe was our experience in the Chase Bar & Grill. We had decided we didn't want the treck into the city to eat so opted for the convenience of the hotel.
Firstly the dining room felt chilly which doesnt provide a comfortable environment. Service started out reasonably well and having asked what could be recommended as a gluten free options, it was handed back to me as, "You choose and I will ask the chef".
Note to catering establishments, please, please do the simple step- just mark gluten free (vegetarian etc) on the menu!
Having already spotted a rice pudding creme brulee on the desert menu I was feeling happy -no more watching others eat warming sticky toffee pudding whilst I yet again had cold fruit salad. So I set to on the main and starters. I asked if the soup of the day might be GF which it was so opted for the carrot and coriander soup and they brought me two warm gluten free rolls. All good so far. After a fairly longish wait came the main course. I had opted for the lamb shank with creamy mash and brocoli spears- absolutely nothing fancy and at £17 it was expensive but I just fancied the lamb. All the mains came out including mine smothered in a delicious smelling gravy. Before the waitress left, the question was posed- is the gravy gluten free? After checking with the chef, my plate was whisked away and I was sat left watching the rest of my party eat whilst they replaced my choice with another plate of mash with a very small lamb shank on a heap of mash, three brocoli spears and a separtate pot of very thin rendering of a gluten free jus with none of the richness of the first plate. Im sorry, but for 17 quid I felt done! (The waitress did apologise though that she should have been more on the ball with my requirements).
Then we waited... and waited... and waited. Our empty plates sat on the table. The restaurant emptied of the fed-up looking guests. Were they experiencing the same as us? Our plates were finally cleared. And we waited. Staff started laying the tables for the morning. And we waited. Eventually, we attracted the eye of another waitress busying herself with something and asked if we could see the dessert menu please. She went back to our original waitress at the main desk and clearly spoke to her colleague in a way that was as if we were being a bother asking for the dessert menu. We wouldn't have minded, but it hadn't been offered to us in the first place!
Hastily the menus were dished out again and I and my friend ordered the rice creme brulee, another the brownie and another some icecream. Eventually our desserts turned up in this deserted restaurant. We had the impression the chef might already have left for home as my long anticipated pudding arrived. A very very small ramekin with some grossly undercooked rice on top of a dollop of jam - absolutely no sign of the brulee. I did eat mine but my friend thought better of attempting this apology of a pudding. The brownie was large and ok, and the icecream was, well, icecream.
We asked for the bill. Nearly £150 for the four of us and absolutely not worth it. The only saving grace was that the bottle of Merlot that we chose was excellent.
We really did wish we had made the effort to find a place to eat in York.
Thankfully, when we checked out and raised the issue, there was a no quibble offer regards the bill, which naturally we took, but we really shouldn't have been having to ask in the first place.
Sometimes big isn't best. I have had much better experiences in personal small hotels.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 November 2012

We have used Marriott hotels many times and regard them as a reliable and comfortable option. I have stayed at this hotel some years ago and was happy to book again for a short visit to York. The hotel is located a 1.5 miles from the centre of the city and is a comfortable 20 mins walk or you can catch the regular bus service that stops close to the hotel.
We were allocated room 100 on arrival and proceeded via the compact, shaby lift to the 1st floor. On entering the room we were greeted with a very cool uninviting room. Although it was early November the outside temp was a reasonable 12 degs. I swtiched on the heating system and an electric oil filled radiator to warm the place up. After about 2 hours we went out to dinner but the room temperature had hardly changed! I informed recpetion who said they would take a look. When we returned about 3 hours later we found the room still chilly but now had 2 electric radiators fully on and a blanket on the bed!! The next morning the room temperature had recovered to abot 60 degs but the bathroom was still very chilly. In addition the bathorom was falling apart and there was no room for handing towels etc. All in all probably my worest experience of a Marriott. I complained to the receptionist who appologised and said that they would move us to an upgraded room. To their credit they did this without impacting on our short stay in York. The new room was much better, more in keeping with Marriott style.
We used the Leisure centre which was OK but could do with some updating.
We took breakfast which was good and offered plenty of variety.

Room Tip: Avoid room 100!!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple